Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh we still have one

I am just am "grounded" from it.

I have a dresser full of clothes. I have enough to wear to work. Also Little Miss seemed to find something a that she "needed" every time she went it. She is not good at just Window Shopping. The budget is tight on "not need stuff" so Hubby and I agreed no Goodwill trips and limited retail store trips ( list only trips)

I am missing the Goodwill though. I see all the good stuff I bought there over the years and just "know" there is more there now ( in reality probably not)

Withdraws are so hard

·
8,714 Posts
~Well, most any store is a less-than-pleasant shopping experience this time of year. Even thrift stores are packed shoulder to shoulder so maybe you can count it as avoiding the "holiday madhouse"? :p

I just hit the ARC last weekend after not being in a thrift for about two months. Spent $16 on snow boots, vintage sheets and curtains, and milkware. I average one trip a month to thrift stores but I tend to skip a month and then go twice fairly close together. And I shop with a list. Am I the only one who thrifts with a list? When I have a few things on the thrift list again, I make another trip.~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~Well, most any store is a less-than-pleasant shopping experience this time of year. Even thrift stores are packed shoulder to shoulder so maybe you can count it as avoiding the "holiday madhouse"? :p

I just hit the ARC last weekend after not being in a thrift for about two months. Spent $16 on snow boots, vintage sheets and curtains, and milkware. I average one trip a month to thrift stores but I tend to skip a month and then go twice fairly close together. And I shop with a list. Am I the only one who thrifts with a list? When I have a few things on the thrift list again, I make another trip.~
I generally have a mental list not a paper list. But I do have to admit I am drawn to a beautiful sweater. ;) even if it is not on the list. So many tempting things at the Goodwill. So I am "grounding" myself from it for the time being.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I also miss going to GW and SA and other thrift stores but there is nothing I need and not much room so I try to stay away from them for I hardly ever leave one empty handed.So I fell your pain.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nuisance 26 you are not the only one that shops with a list.. I keep a list of things and sizes that the family is looking for and many of these things fall on my Christmas list as gifts... I can shop and not spend a dime if they don't have anything on my list at the price I want to pay.. I make several trips a year to different ones..

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am not a free for all spender at the Goodwill. I generally come out with one or two needed things or nothing at all.

I didn't want you all to think I was.

Well there was the time I drooled over a lands end expensive poka dot sweater, walked in to good will and sitting there was one that looked very similar just a different but still good brand. I did splurge on that. :blush: I could not resist it. Timing was to perfect.

That probably was the tipping point for Hubby and the fact that I think I bought some of my boss's cast offs (her Goodwill donations). Hubby did not seem to pleased with that.

·
8,714 Posts
The "not so frugal" part of GW shopping is one can easily get caught in the trap of... "It was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up", so you can wind up buying unneeded things.
~This seems to happen to a lot of people shown on "Hoarders". Money is being wasted, stuff is piling up and they continue shopping unaware that there is something off with their decision making process. It's sad. :(

I doubt I would ever fall into this because I've yet to see a thrift with such good prices that I would even have that thought. I grudgingly pay the half price sale tags and usually feel I'm being ripped off. :p The way they price some things is truly insane. Last time out I saw a Pampered Chef Batter Bowl priced at $13. Couple bucks more and you could buy new. For only $8 you can get the Anchor Hocking version at Walmart. You shouldn't have to wait for half price tag day to afford things at the thrift store. :/ ~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
~This seems to happen to a lot of people shown on "Hoarders". Money is being wasted, stuff is piling up and they continue shopping unaware that there is something off with their decision making process. It's sad. :(

I doubt I would ever fall into this because I've yet to see a thrift with such good prices that I would even have that thought. I grudgingly pay the half price sale tags and usually feel I'm being ripped off. :p The way they price some things is truly insane. Last time out I saw a Pampered Chef Batter Bowl priced at $13. Couple bucks more and you could buy new. For only $8 you can get the Anchor Hocking version at Walmart. You shouldn't have to wait for half price tag day to afford things at the thrift store. :/ ~
I agree prices have gone up. It seems to have trickled down to garage sales too. Doesn't seem like clothes are a quarter at garage sales anymore but more like thrift store prices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The "not so frugal" part of GW shopping is one can easily get caught in the trap of... "It was a great deal and I couldn't pass it up", so you can wind up buying unneeded things.

I know many people who go more than once a week & claim they "got a great deal" on absolutely useless stuff at thrift stores...it's stacked all over their home. You can't even see the floor it's so full of clothing. Yet, the same people are usually the ones who complain they cant afford anything.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
We finally got a GW about 40 mins. from my town (which isn't bad, actually, as we're pretty rural). Oddly enough, almost every time I go, I run into someone I know from town!

I VERY easily fall into the 'too much' trap. Part of it is because everything is cheap, and part of it is because I've been spoiled by our free town thrift shop place. I've gotten so used to 'If I want it, I get it' at the free shop that I really have to reign that in at GW. I don't experience that in 'regular' stores, though. I don't really even shop those anymore, because like some sort of grumpy old lady decades past my actual age, I get very upset by the prices. But put me near a rack of $5-7 jeans at GW and suddenly I 'need' 5 pairs.

Like you, Imagine, I enjoy quality items, and I also have to be careful not to go buying kids things they don't actually 'need' because i'm sucked in by a low price tag and a good brand.

Prices vary greatly. I bought an LL Bean down parka in perfect condition for $9.99, regular price, but on the same rack there was kind of a ratty Walmart winter coat, not down, for $19.99. I think sometimes prices can swing wildly depending on the person who tags them.

I also know folks who go weekly or a few times a month. I try to go every only a few times a year unless I am on the hunt for something specific. I did do well keeping myself in check on my last trip, though, when I was on the search for new jeans as I needed a new size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love going to the thrift store but there are times where I have to ban myself from the store. Lately I have found many items that I needed. Such as a shoe stretcher, king size blanket for the front door, oversized chopping board, all of which were $4 or less each. But there are times when I am in the store that I have to stop and remind myself that I already have that or more than enough of that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I visited the SA this afternoon & got a nice vest. I tried a couple things on that still had tags, but they didn't fit- that's probably why they are there- the sizes aren't right. I have to be careful around the glassware. I love pretty glass dishes. My vest was $4.99, then I got three pairs knee highs for 50 cents, two pairs of heavy tights for grand daughter @ 99 cent each, a brand new tupperware flat deli container $1.91, a Tupperware pitcher I wanted just for the top for 90 cents. So I did ok. I should have re- donated the pitcher immediately, but I brought it home:(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here in the UK, your Goodwill shops are our Charity Shops. I have been an avid bargain hunter (and finder) for longer than I can remember but right now, our economy is in such a bad state that people aren't donating to the shops - every single one has appeals out for saleable items. They do their best with the stocks they have but there's nothing really "good" in them.

I've been searching, since autumn arrived, for a particular type of sweater. I'm not talking haute couture! I just wanted red (not pink, not burgundy, not orangey-coral), v-neck and not too long; and warm!

Not a chance.

Meanwhile, I have a sack on my wardrobe floor that I'm gradually filling with items I will donate: yesterday I put in two knits that I haven't been wearing because . . . they don't work for me, they were (let's admit it) a mistake but they will no doubt please someone else.

So, folks: are you still donating?

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
toffee has the right idea - for every item you bring home, donate one or more items back, depending on how much you have.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Except most of us here use things up so there's nothing worth donating back. At least clothing wise for me.
Not a guy here but a girl and I would say the same thing. (exception children's clothing outgrown before worn out)

Reactions: piney
1 - 20 of 25 Posts