Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted much for quite a while. I quit the career I have had for over 25 years.Besides being burnt out as all get out doing it it killed my back. So we have now lost my part time income. Dh and I both went through surgeries and had chinks of this year off... so we took a hit in the pocket book. I got no pay from my part time job for the 7 weeks and dh got short term which is 60% for his 3 months. We bought a new rental property I am currently working on. I wont be going back to work until its done. Our first rental is profitable but we havent touched a dime of it. We are letting it build up in slush fund for the property. We will be doing the same with the new one. Its income but not income we will touch until both have nice " it all fell apart funds!" I have no clue what I want to do for a job as I've never done anything else! Needless to say we have been in belt tightening mode! I needed some extra motivation and came back to the trusty Village for it!

Ive sold a few things that were left in the garage of the new rental. It didnt add up to a lot but it needed to go!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I have missed seeing you post nodmicks!!! So glad you are back! You have been a great motivator to me in the past! Welcome back!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TDN thanks that was nice of you to say! I didnt really think anyone would remember who I was.

I'm not complaining that we need to have to be more frugal. Ok maybe I am grumping a little about not getting to go camping much . I'm very glad we can pay everything with reduced income. I admit I got kind of used to not keeping as close of an eye on everything over time. So this is a good thing for me to stretch those frugal muscles more :)

First task was to reign in my grocery budget. I'm still spending pretty much the same as when both kids were here. We are recent empty nesters.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I think many of us remember you!

Ugh.....the grocery budget! Food prices just seem to keep rising. I need to start tracking my spending again. I find that what helps me the most with keeping cost down is to cook once and eat twice ( or more) ......I am a reformed leftover hater. Oh how I love pulling out leftovers for dinner and it saves a lot of time. I don't get to use them for dinners as much as I would like since hubby takes a lunch everyday it is easy to send them.

Nodmicks.....weren't you a hairstylist? I have been one for almost 30 years and I hear you on burnt out and it does wear your body out. Neck, shoulders, back. I keep cutting back more and more so need to step up my frugality too. Like you it is the only job I have ever done. Over the last few years I have looked into a few partime jobs but With my lack of skills the money I would make is discouraging. I would have to work 2 to 4 times the hours I do now to make the same money. IF I could get ultra frugal and organized I could not work at all.....which is what I want one minue then the thought freaks me out the next minute.

Maybe we can dream up some new frugal challenges for motivation??

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Welcome back Nodmicks :) It IS nice to see you here again and so very sorry about both surgeries but glad you both seem to have recovered.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TND yep your right. I hit my 27th year as a stylist last spring! I had been cutting back hours and clients.It caused a bit of trouble with clients as far as them not liking it but they understood. It is brutal on the body and my three bad disks did scream. I know what you mean about more hours for less pay depending on what one does.Hair is good money for the hours worked when you have been at it a long time.Plus the tips rock! I did recently apply for a job on a whim and also turn it down because the shifts were too long. I actually think more skills carry over than you may think about. At least that is what I am finding when I talk to people. I wasnt really interested in full time let alone 4 ten hours days and every Friday night. I also knew my husband would not say a word but be extremely flustered if I took a job before the rental is done.

Glad your a reformed leftover hater! I'm lazy so Im a leftover lover. I always took them to work too. I'm also a steak lover so thats an issue. :) I guess on the if you could be frugal enough not to work to me it boils down to if I could go without certain non necessary but important to me things. I cant permanently personally as I really love to travel. However right now its be ultra frugal since I'm not getting paid or hit savings and I dont want to do that. You could get untra organized and frugal and pretend your pay is not there and see how it goes! I'd love a challenge buddy!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome back Nodmicks :) It IS nice to see you here again and so very sorry about both surgeries but glad you both seem to have recovered.
Thanks. My surgery was the best thing ever as far as I am concerned :) I had a bad uterine biopsy and big red flags so bye bye girly parts! Since my mom had had uterine cancer so they didnt want to mess around so out it went. It was right before Christmas so talk about an easy holiday. Dh and the nieces did all the cooking and clean up. Now they are in trouble because I know I dont need to cook for 20+ alone! Dh tore his knee up. He is strong as an ox , a fast healer and was frothing at the bit that his Dr made him take 3 months off total. He is good as new now so all is well there.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Can i just track things in this thread or does it belong in a certain place?
Just an opinion but several of us are already reading this one and knows what you're doing with it and where it is. We know the title and come here.

Reactions: nodmicks

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Course your remembered silly!. You can track it here but there are a few frugal challenge type threads running around.

My Dh lost the job and he lost this job! just because it was contract work but yeah,I 'm in the same mode as this one prob. ends in Oct. We've had to self pay-COBRA and he had an ankle surgery in there. So we get it in this house. We are almost empty nesters. DD is always gone anyway. And I realized this month we spent way more on groc. I think treating because we could but that cant continue.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Course your remembered silly!. You can track it here but there are a few frugal challenge type threads running around.

My Dh lost the job and he lost this job! just because it was contract work but yeah,I 'm in the same mode as this one prob. ends in Oct. We've had to self pay-COBRA and he had an ankle surgery in there. So we get it in this house. We are almost empty nesters. DD is always gone anyway. And I realized this month we spent way more on groc. I think treating because we could but that cant continue.
Sorry to hear about the job losses and surgery in your house. I hope a great new contract or something great comes through. I get the treating thing too. I do that with the kids and nieces. Dh reminded me the nieces have been adult for a long time and both the kids are doing fine and WE have our stuff to take care of. I'm so used to them all being flat broke that I got used to treating.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not going to record any costs for the rentals and all costs and profits are totally separate from out personal $. We have not touched any profit and wont for either property until it has a nice " the roof caved in" fund. After that it goes for " lets buy another" if things are still going well. Since I have never had a job with any benefits I'm looking at rentals as retirement income only. Dh has a pension if all works out but really who knows in this day and age if we will see that or SS by the time we are the right age! Pensions fail left and right. Anyways I did go pick up all my paint today though while they had the 11% rebate. That comes in store credit. Love those rebates.

I finished up the last of the salad I made earlier in the week for brunch. It was ok but dh didnt like it so I have been eating it everyday. I wont be making anything like that again unless I can make a tiny batch! The batch of soup I made yesterday was huge so we had leftovers with fresh baked biscuits for dinner. I froze the leftovers for dh.

I got the $10 amazon credit for switching my main card over to Discover. I used that plus another $8 on a new but damaged box toaster oven on Amazon. It's big enough to fit a 9x13 pan. I'm discovering with no kids at home it is a big waste to cook in the oven. There is not enough in there to make it worth it.

I hit a deal on 12 boxes of Club House Crackers for under $10 online. Got to love Amazon! Since we have a celiac in the house I'll put them aside for when the fall food drives start. Im sure the kids will snag a box or two also.

My load of wash was done in cool water and hung on the racks in the screen porch to dry

Dishwasher left to air-dry.

Listed another item left in the garage of the duplex when we purchased it on Craigslist.

I got two free items to review. These programs are wonderful if your a prime member and get free shipping. Today I got a grooming mitt which is fantastic and some self tanner. I've gotten enough skin care products to review through these programs that I wont need to buy any for ages.

It was nice and cool this morning so I had all the windows open to snag that cool air. It did stop the ac from kicking in for quite a while. Id love to leave the main floor windows cracked at night but I cant figure out how to do it with out the security system yelling a door or window is open! I'll be leaving all the second floor windows open again tonight as it is going to be lovely!!

I tallied up what I made on the side in July with surveys, rebate apps on the phone like Ibotta etc. $105.37 . I slacked in that department a bit this month!

Really none of these small things with being frugal are at all difficult. We just got lazy and spoiled. All these things were very routine to us for many many years!! We ended up spending about $95 eating out this month. Next months goal is $45 and to cut my grocery bill down.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
HA! understood. Ds was behind in the bills and he didnt know I knew. So I made up a story about helping his sister alot so he would take it. He says I am going to buy an office chair. UH NO! pay the bills. He's a kid/man at 23yo. Mostly resp. but this is my "fault". He doesnt know what it takes us to save $500.

I am trying to learn single person food buying and cooking. I have stopped buying gallons of milk and such. A whole chicken from COSTCO can go a long way. I just shop the night before he lands again. Adjustments to habits save $$$.
A weird thing I started was making DH get all the veg on his 1/2 of the sub treat and freezing it. Then I use it later. I dont need 6 tomatoes even from Aldi but a slice is good.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HA! understood. Ds was behind in the bills and he didnt know I knew. So I made up a story about helping his sister alot so he would take it. He says I am going to buy an office chair. UH NO! pay the bills. He's a kid/man at 23yo. Mostly resp. but this is my "fault". He doesnt know what it takes us to save $500.

I am trying to learn single person food buying and cooking. I have stopped buying gallons of milk and such. A whole chicken from COSTCO can go a long way. I just shop the night before he lands again. Adjustments to habits save $$$.
A weird thing I started was making DH get all the veg on his 1/2 of the sub treat and freezing it. Then I use it later. I dont need 6 tomatoes even from Aldi but a slice is good.
I have quit buying milk unless I need it for a recipe. Ive went from a gallon a day with the kids to none. Thats an interesting idea about the sub. I could so eat 6 tomatoes! I love them. Your right adjusting habits saves cash :)

I could just imagine your face when kiddo said he was going to get a chair! They all get it eventually I hope! Sometimes they just need a little help. Is your spouse gone for travel a lot? I think its and adjustment cooking for 2. I'd imagine one is even more challenging yet.

Not much exciting on the home front here. We have been having all our meals at home. Sucks to cook after 6 to 8 hours painting at the rental but it needs to be done. Not sure when my house or lawn will get done though :0 Ha and people are worried what I am doing with my self since I quit my part time job. 3 levels of house is going to take me a while. Working harder than I did at work is what. Its all worth it in the end.

Same old boring frugal stuff here. Line drying. Keeping the Ac set on 73. I really need to get some time to grab groceries. I'm just too tired after painting all day. Thats a plus too as Im not going into the store! I'm not seeing much progress. 2 coats in one room and I still see the awful green peek though in spots. Coat 3 it is. I bought primer for the other dark rooms! Once its done it will be lovely but what an overhaul. Floor to ceiling.

Amazon had a quick deal with Quest bars a box of 12 for $2.34. One bar is that much. I did 3 on subscribe and save and bought 11 to come now. We will be set on protein bars for quite a while! I follow a few deal sites on my phone and one just happened to pop up.

One of the sites I do that gets merchandise for your review is sending a bunch of first aid supplies. Good deal as the ones in the camper are ancient! Ah the camper.... I might have to sleep in it just to say I did since other stuff is getting in the way of camping.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I totally remember you! I am back to the Village as well since I am about to send my oldest off to college and we are trying hard to pay cash - or mostly cash. We will have 4 kids go through college in the next 10 years. So belt tightening it is! Sounds like you and dh are doing pretty well now that you have had your surgeries.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I totally remember you! I am back to the Village as well since I am about to send my oldest off to college and we are trying hard to pay cash - or mostly cash. We will have 4 kids go through college in the next 10 years. So belt tightening it is! Sounds like you and dh are doing pretty well now that you have had your surgeries.
I'm glad your back to the Village as well! welcome back!!! I hope all is going well with you and your family. I do not envy you on 4 kids through college in the next 10 years. Hopefully they are spread out enough you can prepare . Hopefully financial aid helps with so many in college! So far for us even without our old larger income the only offering is a small amount of unsubsidized loans
The cost of college is astounding to me! I have one that has one more year and one with two more years. Im grateful they have college funds for some of it from a very generous family member. There is no way we could cash flow all of it. Its hard enough doing part of it. Even not living on campus now its still close to $15,000 for the one child in a 4 year state school by the time you add everything in. The other is in Tech to the tune of about $12,000 a year. When the younger needed a check for his summer classes I about fell over that 2 short online classes were $2395.

I have no doubt you will be a black belt tightwad preparing for those big expenses!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh it was tough I tell you but I came home from working in the rental and made dinner. Wow did I want to stop for an easy dinner! I am wore out and sore. Its a big project!! We have an early party tomorrow and will be going right back tomorrow when we are done. UGH but it has to get done and our labor is free!!!

I got a little crap from someone about not working right now. Seriously I would pay more for a tradesman to strip wallpaper , prime and paint that I would be making. Like I said before I will be going back to work part time once the rental rehab is done. Not that it is anyone's business! If dh was getting his full hours I would still go work part time again because I like being around people! Oh and money is always welcome and necessary :)

After dinner I did a load of wash and hung it on the racks on the patio. I do not want to heat the house up extra for sure. Its already enough keeping this place cool. This house is way to big for us with the kids both moved into their own apartments. I dont really need a 2 acre yard and 11 perennial beds and the ponds to take care of. Its a lot of work. Dh is not in any way ready to downsize and for now that is ok. Eventually age will force us away from 4 staircases and a big busy yard. I dont plan to fall into heap anytime soon though! I admit when I am over at the duplex that small yard and smaller house are awfully appealing though.

I finally got groceries yesterday. You know its time when your down to a freezer full of meat. Not that that bother me but Dh is not the carnivore I am :) I hit the store early and hit very large bags of produce for ,99 each. One was organic apples and bananas. One was peppers and cucumbers, one all tubs of berries, one pears and a melon, one ears of corm. The amazing thing about these bags in they done go bad if it takes you a week to eat them. This store has flawless produce and has these bags most mornings. I'd gotten lax about going over there. i really hate to shop and that store is all groceries and as big as a super Walmart. No quick in and out there. I need to to force myself to go there instead of the closest store. Th price differences are quite large. A friend had told me dollar tree had great big cans of fruit so I also got 13 of those. These are the same size cans that are $3 in the grocery store.

I like to stock up a bit more going into winter. I dont live 30 miles from everything anymore but it this craptastic climate power outages are not uncommon with snow and ice. I think it was two winters ago we had no power for 2 days. We have wood backup heat so we are prepared there. I'm a whole mile now from a store but I still stock up more on easy stuff just in case. Besides I hate the cold and if I dont have to go out Im not going!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts