Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought half a cow. I'm going to pick her up in about two weeks. I knew I would need a freezer for her but I haven't bought one yet because I didn't know how big of one I would need and I wouldn't actually need it until I brought her home.

I've been looking on craigslist and I don't know if I'm going to be able to find one used. I really don't have a way to haul it and the pickin's are pretty slim anyway.

So does anyone have any advice on purchasing a freezer? Is there any particular store or brand that stands out for price or quality? I think I would like an upright, not only for convenience but also because I'm moving in May and I don't know how much space I'm going to have in the new place.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I have a cube and an upright both. I much prefer the upright because I can clearly see everything in it w/o digging around. I got a Maytag but would not recommend it. The door can't hold much weight,the shelves slip out of the grooves and the metal is so thin it dings from the inside out. They went bankrupt and Maytag is now anohter company. Beware.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have both the upright and the chest and I really like the upright for finding things but the chest seems to hold more.

We got ours at Lowes, it wasnt too bad priced. I also did not get the frost free, it makes me defost every now and again. I ended up buying the one I liked the best.

We bought a 16 cubic foot and it just holds a half, so if you need extra room buy one a little bigger.

Reactions: Nishu

·
Registered
565 Posts
We are currently looking for one too. I'm just going to go ahead and buy new. Finding a used one around here seems to just not be happening. I would LOVE an upright but not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I purchased a small one a few months ago from Lowes. They were out of the ones in back so I took the floor model for 10% off.

Most of my appliances either come from Habitat for Hummanity's restores or scratch and dent at Lowes. I paid $25 earlier this year at the Restore for a dryer that is working great and $275 for a HE Washer at Lowes that has already paid for itself with the water savings alone.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've had both chest freezer and upright. I like the uprights for being able to find things. Things get buried in my chest freezer. I've also had problems in the past with uprights and frozen meat falling out and onto my toes, no fun. If I was going to buy one tomorrow, it would probably be an upright.

We just got a cow last week, my freezer is stuffed right now.

·
2,688 Posts
We have 2 uprights currently. I would not own a frost free , nor would I own a chest again. The chest is a PITA to reach into the bottom for stuff and things get hidden.
My original freezer was bought new in 1973. Still going strong. Two years ago, we bought the second upright new because I had fears of the first one quitting. The old one was only to be a spare and used when deer season gets here. Currently both freezers are full, and hubby wants to know where we are going to put his deer meat. Guess I need to do some canning to free up some space ..........

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have a chest bought from Sam's Club, when I still had my membership. Personally, I've always liked chests, and I've never lost anything in the bottom. I stack the beef in similar piles, and then use the drop-in baskets to keep other items sorted. If necessary, I'll occasionally use a box.

I believe chests use less energy. I also set mine on a frame with casters, then built shelves above the chest. More storage space, and I can slide the freezer out when I need to get inside.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help, guys.

I think I may have found one off of craigslist so I'm crossing my fingers. It's an upright, not sure what model or year but the color is "stale yellow" so I'm guessing it's not a newer one. They only want 40 for it. It would actually be ideal as long as it survives until May, because if I decide I would rather have a different model or if it doesn't fit my new place I can just give it away without stressing over the cost. The only concern would be whether it survives until May.

What do you guys think? Should I get the used one go for a new one?

(We're moving to Monterey, CA, btw, and the cost of living is obscene. We're probably going to downsize considerably which is why I'm concerned about space.)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Get the used one. We have a very old ancient up right that works great.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A used one won't save you money if it dies full. At least a new one will be under warranty and can get fixed in a day. Kenmore from Sears always worked for us. A chest freezer will use less electricity ... the cold air doesn't spill out every time you open the door, but it's easier getting stuff out of an upright.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
It's easier to find stuff in an upright. If your chest is stuffed full, you have to pull out half of it to get to what is underneath, and constantly rearrange the newer items under the older food.

An older freezer is going to use more electric than a newer one, but if you're only paying $40 for it, it will be years before it makes a difference.

I'll never get another one that I have to defrost. Mine is old too, and right now it has an 8" deep "growth" of ice hanging from the top, just about making the top shelf useless.

Oh, get one with adjustable shelves if you can. Makes storage a lot easier.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't know if any of these are still available on Amazon (I'm assuming they are no longer available in-store.) There's been a recall on them. They are chest freezers and I know you're leaning towards an upright, but, just an FYI.

Haier America Recalls Chest Freezers Due to Fire Hazard

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I don't pay for electricity in housing so money-wise it's not going to cost me anything extra to run it.

If I do get the older one, I'll be out there probably at least once a day to put things in and take thgings out. I can stick a thermometer out there so I know for sure it's keeping everything at a low enough temperature. Can it ruin a freezer full of frozen food if it's only stopped working for a day or two?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Go for the old one, if you are going to watch it that closely, you can always go buy a new one if that goes out. One of my chest freezers was bought new in 1974 and shes stlll going strong.

If you dont pay for electric and its only $40, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
A used one won't save you money if it dies full. At least a new one will be under warranty and can get fixed in a day. Kenmore from Sears always worked for us. A chest freezer will use less electricity ... the cold air doesn't spill out every time you open the door, but it's easier getting stuff out of an upright.
I would be greatly surprised to see a repair call fulfilled in one day.

If I do get the older one, I'll be out there probably at least once a day to put things in and take thgings out. I can stick a thermometer out there so I know for sure it's keeping everything at a low enough temperature. Can it ruin a freezer full of frozen food if it's only stopped working for a day or two?
If it does stop running, don't open the door until you have some place to put the food. It should stay frozen for a day or three, at least.

I would get the used one, and save the money for a new one. If/when the used one goes out, go pick up the new one.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My husband just brought my $40 freezer home and I couldn't be happier with it. It's huge! It works fine, the owner just wanted a new one. In fact, when my husband went to pick it up, it still had food in it so it was still cold when he brought it home. We've got it turned off now to defrost it. I figured we might as well since it will be empty for a few more days.

Thanks again for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts