Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody:)

This is my first time to post on this board and I am sure it won't be the last...

I have a question please..

I read in the tidwad gazette about a refrigerated bread dough that can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days...
its mentioned in the book that it is from betty crocker cookbook...does anybody have the recipe?

thanks in advance;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can give you one I have. I am sure it is different from the Tightwad Gazette one, but it is very good. I have never made bread with this recipe. I always make rolls or crossiants.

Potato Refrigerator Rolls:

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 T. or 1 package yeast
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 t. salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes
7-7 1/2 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, and potatoes. Mix in flour by hand until dough is easy to handle. Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl. Cover with a damp cloth; place in refrigerator. About 2 hours before baking, shape into rolls. Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

yolo

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Refrigerator Rolls

This is a recipe I got from a lady at church about 20 years ago. My son does not like bread, but will eat a lot of these rolls.

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk, scalded
1 tblsp dry yeast
1 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water

2tsp salt
4 cups flour
3 eggs

Add butter and 1/4 cup sugar to hot milk. Cool. (you really don't have to scald the milk, just get it warm enought to melt the butter and dissolve the sugar) Combine yeast, 1 tblsp sugar and lukewarm water. Let stand 5 minutes to soften yeast.

Add salt to flour. Combine milk and yeast mixtures, and add 1 cup flour. Add eggs and beat well. Continue adding flour gradually, beating after each addition. This is a soft dough and most or all of the flour can be handled by an electric mixer.

Cover bowl and place out of draft until dough rises about triple. Punch down. Cover again and place in refrigerator over night. Remove from refrigerator and roll and shape while cold. Place on greased pans. Brush with melted butter. Let rise 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

This dough can be left to rise 5 to 6 hours without doing it any harm. ( I found that if you let them rise too long, the rolls become very airy.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much:D

I tried the one that has mashed potatoes in it and it is just sooooooooooo good....thanks so much you guys are the best..am also looking forward to try te other one;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts