Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset my van is giving me troubles. I think it may be the transmission which is going to cost me an arm and a leg. This will detour our trip plans if it is something big as we do not have much of a savings built up yet. It is a 1999 and has 86,000 miles on it. That's alsmost still new in my book and it should not be having such big problems as the transmission boohoo!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened. Car problems are just the worst!What kind of van is it? We had to replace our transmission twice in our Ford Aerostar before we finally junked it after it went out a third time. Another friend just had her transmission go out on their van also and is really hurting financially right now.:(

·
27,948 Posts
I hope it's not an expensive repair Angelee! I hate spending money on things I don't get any real enjoyment out of.

Get with the program van~ Angelee has places to go people to see!

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh Thanks guys. It is a 99 Chevy Astro. We just bought it last year so it's still new to us. Yes car problems are one of the worst things in the world!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
angelee,
our van is a 1999 also, and we only have about 48,000 miles on it. we just had problems with our transmission too. it ended up being just a sensor that went out. just wanted to wish you luck.:(

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you have car troubles, Angelee...I hope you can solve the problem at little cost...

Our van is 1995 and it has 176,000 km...we changed the transmission, two years ago. It had cost us 2000 $(canadian)...:(

Good luck!:)

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Wow, lots of transmissions replaced....we had ours replaced a year ago and our van is a 1996 Ford Windstar.

I hope it isn't something major......your trip sounds like so much fun!!!:smball:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
sorry u r having such problems with your van..this is why i wont buy an american car,van or anything else..they just dont hold up,,the transmission should not be giving so much trouble with it being so young

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Awe Angelee, hopefully its just something that is small and you don't have the major expense of having to get a whole new transmission.

When we purchased our van, we got extended warranty on it to cover those types of costs. They can sometimes really add up and cost major $$.

Please let us know exactly what it was and if you got to go on your trip. :hugz:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
My dh works with a lot of car dealers and one thing I have learned is that Van's seem to have a lot of transmission problems. Dh wanted to get a van until he taled to a few people and saw how much trouble they where having.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hugs. Yes, car trouble is the worst, and it usually ends up being expensive (at least with our luck here). Hope it's not too serious! :angel:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Hugs Angelee. I hope that it isn't anything major that would postpone your trip.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't go to the zoo. I can't find anything out on the van until Tuesday so I will cook out here and have a few friends over and try to not think about it till then. Thanks eveybody!

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the stinking transmission has to be rebuilt and it is going to cost me about $1000.00. So I guess I will be sewing my tail off for a few weeks to pay for it. Thanks for letting me cry to you. It really helps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry Angalee....I wanted to tell you how much I can symapathize with you.My 1999 Chevy Suburban transmission went out not too long ago........$2500 later we had it rebuilt too.The warranty co. refused to cover it and I had only bought it 2 months prior:bang:I hate to say it but Chevys are known for tranny problems.I was without a car for 2 weeks:(Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Cars are so expensive to keep up with! I'm so sorry it will cost so much! Good luck with your sewing to help pay it off.:)

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Almost make you wanna buy a horse huh? I HATE car troubles! I had to replace something in the steering on my 2000 Dodge stratus last fall. Luckily the extended warranty covered it so it only cost me $50 and not $350+. Cars just don't last like they used to, and it is harder for the DIY folks to work on them because of all the computers and stuff in em now! GRRRR

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a feeling my horse would break its leg and I would have to shoot it. Cars just go this way for me. Thanks for being here for me guys!

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Ouch, that is lot of money. Sorry to hear about this, but on the bright side at least it happened while you were still at home and not on your trip.

I am sorry that you missed your trip. I hope that you can reschedule for later.

:hugz:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts