Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies,

I skimmed over the post titles in the kitchen section here for a sourdough post but didn't find one (or maybe I missed it) but I am looking for a tried and true Sourdough Starter recipe as well as the Sourdough bread recipe.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Sour dough starter:

1 pkg. yeast
2 c. flour
2 c. warm water

Mix together. Feed every 4 - 7 days with 1 c. flour, 1 c. milk, and 1/2 c. sugar. Do not use the same day you feed it, unless you take out the sourdough first.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Sourdough bread

Ingredients

* 1 cup sourdough starter
* 1 1/3 cups warm water
* 5 to 6 cups flour
* 1 tbsp salt
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 1 tsp baking soda
* cornmeal to sprinkle in the baking pans

Directions

1. For the sponge:
2. Place 1 cup of the starter into a large glass mixing bowl. Add to the starter, the warm water and about 3 cups of the flour. Mix well using a wooden spoon. Cover the sponge with plastic wrap and set aside for 24 hours.
3. For the Dough:
4. After the sponge has bubbled and expanded, remove the plastic wrap. Blend salt, sugar, and baking soda into 2 cups of flour. Mix this into the sponge using a wooden spoon. When the dough begins to hold together, turn it onto a floured board and knead it for 3 or 4 minutes. Add flour as needed to make a fairly stiff dough.
5. Give the dough a rest and clean the bowl. Grease the bowl after. Continue kneading for another 3 to 4 minutes. Place the kneaded dough back into the bowl, turning it to grease the top. Cover and let rise for 2 to 4 hours. Punch down the dough and shape it into 2 long loaves. Place them on a cornmeal sprinkled cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for another 2 hours or until doubled.
6. Heat oven to 450 F. Begin heating a kettle of water.
7. Just before you place the bread loaves in the oven, slash the tops diagonally with a knife. Slash every two inches at 1/4 inch deep. Brush with cold water. Place a baking pan on the oven bottom and put in 3 or 4 cups of boiling water. Place the loaves to be baked on the rack over the steaming water, close the oven, and bake for about 25 minutes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sourdough starter

1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
2 cups water, room temperature
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour Add yeast to warm water. Let stand for ten minutes. Stir in flour until mixture forms thick batter. Cover loosely and let stand for about three days. Stir every day. After about three days, recipe sourdough starter will be bubbly and have a yeasty, sour aroma. Cover and refrigerate. Feed weekly OR after each use.
Feeding
After each use, stir in equivalent amounts of flour and water. That is, if you removed 1 cup of starter, stir in 1 cup of flour and 1 cup water. If you have not used your recipe sourdough starter during the week, remove 1 cup and stir in equivalent in water and flour. After feeding, allow starter to stand in a warm spot for a few hours before refrigerating.

Here's the sourdough bread recipe
1 cup sourdough starter
2 cups warm water
2 cups warm milk
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup honey
7 cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
SpongeSeveral hours before you are planning to make your recipe sourdough bread (or overnight), you must make a sponge. To make the sponge, mix 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup sourdough starter and the two cups of warm water. Let it stand in a warm place to ferment (or "proof" as it is called).
Making Recipe Sourdough Bread
Add butter, warm milk and yeast to your proofed sponge. Stir until yeast dissolves. Add honey, add 2 additional cups of flour, and add the wheat germ. Stir.Sprinkle sugar,salt and baking soda over top, and gently press into dough. Mix lightly. Allow your recipe sourdough bread to stand until the mixture is bubbly. This will take half an hour to an hour. Add additional flour until the dough does not stick to the sides of the bowl. Knead dough on floured board until mixture is silky. Form recipe sourdough bread into four loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Rise until double. This can take up to three hours in a warm room. Bake in preheated 400 F oven for twenty minutes. Reduce temperature to 325 F and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until done. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Paint tops of loaves with butter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the wonderful help. May I ask...are these recipes that you both have used personally? I am so looking forward to making a batch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thank you both for the wonderful help. May I ask...are these recipes that you both have used personally? I am so looking forward to making a batch.

Yes I have used the one I posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts