Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to my ds's teacher today and she said that he needs a lot of help (speech wise), which wasn't news to me. It just sucks to hear that your child needs lots of help. I cried and cried and cried. He has a hard time articulating and it seems that when he goes back to school after having a few days off, he is really hard to understand. He's only four years old and I just get frustrated knowing that he is already struggling.

Thanks for letting me whine.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My son had speech from the time he was in pre-k until 4th grade. I think your upset because in some way you think you failed him. NOT TRUE. Let them help him it will do him a world of good and his speech will improve. My son is 15 now and never shuts up and I understand EVERYTHING his 15 yr old attitude is saying

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jamie. You made me laugh!

He's been receiving speech therapy since he was 2 because he's partially deaf. I guess I just always hope that someday (soon) people are going to start understanding him as easily as I do. Just not so, I guess!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cricket, {{{{HUGS}}}}
I am sorry to hear that your DS is struggling with this. Is your DS in preschool? I recommend that you contact the public school in your area and ask about the speech program. Tell them what the teacher said and ask to have your son evaluated. You may have to write a letter or fill out some paper work. I don't know what the laws are in your state, but in Indiana you can request this from the public school your child will be attending. It's so hard to watch your child struggle, but the sooner he gets help the better off he will be.
Good luck and let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, he's already in the public preschool. It is for special needs. The teacher is just saying he needs MORE help outside of school. I called a bunch of private speech pathologists yesterday. Hopefully they get back to me today.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cricket, I just saw your 2nd post, so I see he is already getting help. Good. Sorry about that. Just sending a big hug to you.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Clayton, my 3 yr. old grandson, is partially deaf as well, and I understand your frustration. My DD changed doctors, and Clay will have surgery this May for a blockage in both ears. His new doctors believe this will make a big difference in his hearing and we are praying they are right. Clay will also start speech classes at the preschool this next school year, and he has a woman who comes to DD's home every Wednesday to work with Clay now, teaching him sign language and he loves it.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I am sorry to hear you and your DS are going through this, I know my middle son was in speech theraphy classes in K-3rd grade, his speech totally improved and now he's 16 and never shuts up, lol :) I am sure things will turn our very well for him, God Bless :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have worked with kids and adults for 19 yrs, people who are delayed for some reason or another. It is amazing.......amazing what can be done and taught. The fact that your son is so young and getting help is a big plus. I have worked with alot of moms who don't cry and don't face facts and then the child suffers. Godbless you for putting your child ahead of your tears. Big huggggsss and alot of respect coming your way cricket.

JulieB

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You gals rock! Thank you for all of your kind words. I'm feeling better today although not one speech person has called me back!!! I will get back on the horn tomorrow. I think that this, combined with moving on Thursday, has just put me over the edge!!

It seems everyone I talk to has a child that was in speech therapy and is now a teenager that never shuts up, lol. Again, very encouraging!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Just wanted to encourage you that you are not alone. My son, who has Fetal Al.Syndrome, has been in speech therapy his whole life...with no end in sight. In the early years it was sign lang we worked on, then it was articulation, now it is speech patterns....it's always something though. I know it's tough, but really, it is not such a bad thing, thankfully there is help for our kiddos out there. Keep your chin up!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts