Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into work this morning, the temperature was 20 degrees with a windchill of somewhere below zero. I work in a lumber mill inside a big steel unheated building. I was able to work for an hour until my fingers were numb, hurting and blue. then I had to go home. The rest of me was fine. If I still have a job on the next schedule does anyone have any ideas on what I can wear on my hands. I had on 3 pairs of gloves, I tried the rubber coated ones (fyi...don't do that lol). I think I probably would have been fine but the lumber and sticks were snow and ice covered and made my gloves wet. I don't get many hours but every little bit helps. I have been home since 7:30 this morning and my fingers are still stiff and sore at 3.Thanks in advance for any suggestions

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
my ds told me about under armour. I didn't buy dh the gloves because he doesn't like working with them, but I did buy him the shirt and he says it keeps him really warm. They have 2 types of gloves that I saw online when I was looking for gloves. One pair is thinner than the other. I think they are $30; but if it keeps you working longer may be worth it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I used to own a pair of thinsulate mitts that were uncomfortably warm. If I was doing any kind of activity like shovelling I was tempted to take the gloves off because my hands would sweat. I think I had bought them from Sears.

You could also try making your own heated gloves by filling small cloth bags with rice and microwaving it then putting them in the gloves on top of your hands. I don't know how long it would stay warm though.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have also owned insulate gloves. They were around $20 a pair. One pair was more suited for wet weather. Check the insulation value. They usually state they will keep you warm to -20 degrees of something like that. If you can find some I would probably pick up 3 pairs. That way you can change them out throughout the day when needed. I realize this may sound expensive but you really do have to keep your hands warm. Look what happened to you already. If you cannot use your hands you can't work. Sounds like more of a necessity for your job. I would also suggest looking at a place like an Army Navy store. I be you can find good gloves there also. Or a construction clothing website.

Is there any heated building on site close by? I would suggest thinking of a way where employees could keep their hats and gloves warm throughout the day and be able to come in and change them when needed. Keeping them in a car will not keep them warm. Hopefully your employer will realize the benefit of an idea like this.

If you have any soft gloves or mitts I would suggest putting them on now and even sleeping in them if you hands still hurt.

I hope your hands start to feel better.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
make sure your hands are moisturized...tons! if they are dry, youwil feel the cold much more. try gold bond aloe moisturizing hand cream. fabulous. what about putting aquaphor on your hands before donning the gloves? that should help also.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would suggest checking for a store that sells stuff for like ice fishing and such. I have seen gloves on line that are sold in Alaska for up to -50 below and keeps your hand warms.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yeah, the thinsulate is supposed to be good.

Get the hand warmers..........there are different kinds. A sporting goods store should have some of them. Or like already posted.........some store that has ice fishing equip.

There is one....don't know the brand.......that you break the seal to start the action........and it can be re-used. Costs a little more to begin but might be worth it. (a friend has them and likes them)

I have just the ones that you use once........supposed to last for 10 hours.

Check your DOLLAR STORE too.........ours (Dollar Tree) will have them sometimes...........watch the expiration date on them. They do expire.........they are a charcoal activated thing.

Good luck.......

oh......don't know what sort of work you do and how flexible your hands have to be and you would still need a 'hand warmer' but how about a pair of skin diving gloves for the wet part???

I have a pair of these that I use when I am digging/re-arranging my freezer, as it really hurts my hands to be that cold, and I LOVE THEM!! They won't let you be very flexible though. Just a thought.........

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The cold effects my fingers and toes. The dr. said it's because of my thyroid. Ya know that little gland is getting to be a real pain lol. My husband wears under armor and swears by it. I'm ok with the long johns. I keep warm with them. I was actually too hot yesterday. There isn't one heated building there. So even at lunch we don't get any warmer. I did some looking and found some thinsulate gloves that are water proof, I just hate to pay that much for something that will get torn up in no time but I'm going to have to.
My fingers are sore today but at least I can feel them. That's a plus. My husband went to his boss to sell of a couple days of vacation so we could go and get some warmer clothes and boots. His boss actually told him that it shouldn't cost that much for warm clothes. This is coming from someone who sits in an office all day. I feel like a piece of crap for not staying all day since I only work a couple days a week since it's cold but I couldn't even grab boards since I couldn't feel them. Thanks again.

·
27,948 Posts
Hubby who used to be a mail carrier used these.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Don't forget to look at the thrift stores. I have seen really good thermal underwear there. Also the coveralls that construction people wear outside. It may help to lessen the cost!!!

Personally I would be voicing my opinion if there was not a warm place to eat lunch or take a break!!!!

Hope your hands are feeling better. This morning while waiting for the bus I realized I need to wear my thinsulate gloves because it was bitter cold out already. I found thinsulate gloves at AC Moore last year. Not sure if they have them this year. Depending on the size of your hands also check the mens or boys gloves. They may be more flexible and durable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the thinsulate gloves for working outside in the cold. The biggest issue I see from your post is that you need insulated, waterproof gloves. It doesn't matter how many layers you put on, if they are getting wet, you will be cold. Even putting those rubber gloves on with another pair of insulated gloves under them would be better for keeping you warm. I have gotten thinsulate at Walmart for a decent price, never paid $10 or more for a pair of gloves.

I don't know if it's permissable to post links here but there is a store in Schoolcraft, MI that specializes in tarps and gloves. They have a very large selection and their prices are very reasonable. I loved going to the store when I lived there but you can order online, too. If you're interested, just send me a message and I will send you the link. You may have to buy a dozen but surely, you aren't the only worker having this problem so maybe you can go together as a group to purchase.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
If you don't have to have any 'finger dexterity' ....mittens will be warmer than gloves too.

Our thrift shops will have GOBS of things.......so be sure and check there. You know, the kids out grow their ski gear --which is great stuff---and it goes to the thrift shops. I have found Ll Bean, Land's End, Eddie Bauer.......some great gloves and mittens there..........and tons of thinsulate (the tag will say it - usually)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i would do real wool gloves with rubber gloves on top.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we went out and I got bibs,long johns,socks,an insulated hat and gloves. We couldn't find any waterproof and insulated gloves or insulated steel toe boots in my size in the stores we checked in. I even bit the bullet and went to Walmart. So I waterproofed the gloves I got and got spares in case these get wet. I had socks but hubby says they weren't warm enough. The problem with sitting the car is then if you get too warm and sweat you;ll get colder when you go back out. These people are suppose to be Christian people but don't give a hoot about their employees just so they are making money.They didn't supply safety glasses until they found out the had to. I thought about getting some boot warmers and hand warmers since I don't work very many days a week. Only one or two since winter is here. I appreciate all the suggestions. I know if I have a problem I can come here and get ideas.
I'm not being mean but our Goodwill store has got to be the lamest one around. All they have is mainly nick nacks and books. Alot of kids clothes but very few adult sized clothes. I always found that strange. Of course it isn't a really big store.
As I write this the phone rang, I was suppose to work tomorrow, I go for saw bands once a week, but I don't have to go tomorrow. So I guess it's going to be next week til I see how the new stuff works....and to see if I can actually move with all those clothes on LOL. I'm not graceful on a good day. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get clothes to keep you warm. You can always test the gloves by putting them on and handling ice cubes. Might be interesting to see if the weather proofing worked. Which now has me thinking, hhhhmmmmm might try this!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.