Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying real hard to install word onto my computer. I have no word program and it's getting to be a pain to do it the way I have been...

open dh's computer...wait on it's dinosaur self to get going...open his word program...type up what I need...save it...email it to myself...go back to my puter...open up my email...print it.

I would like to be able to use word on my computer, so i need to install it. Why mine doesn't already have it I'll never know. Our computers are rebuilds and i can't get the guy to come install it. And I have been calling leaving messages over and over. :doh2:

I have been to microsoft.com and haven't found what I am looking for, maybe I am just too puter illiterate to understand what I am lookng at. Either way I still don't have what i want. FIL gave me his word disk, but it asks for a code number that he no longer has. (MS Word 2000) so I am getting nowhere with the disk i have. I can't even search his puter for the info because he toasted that one long long ago. :dunce:

does anyone know another option??

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just saw this thread...

Do you own Microsoft Office already? If so, you'll have the disks for it and can load them into your computer and install Word. If you don't own it, you'll have to buy it (and boy-howdy, it ain't cheap!). A good alternative to Word is a program called OpenOffice, an open-sourced word processor that is compatible with Word and Wordperfect. You can find it here: http://www.openoffice.org/.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
If you can open a word document on your computer, doesn't that mean that you have word on your computer? What program does your computer open when you open your email attachment with the word document? Please feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected], this is the kind of stuff I do at work. :)

Open office is a good option, however, the documents, particularly word docs, are not very interchangeable with Microsoft products. That may not be an issue for you, but when my hubby had to email papers to his professors, he couldn't use Open Office because it wasn't compatable with XP.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have both OpenOffice and Word 2000 on my computer running XP and I have no problems opening OpenOffice documents in Word if they've been saved as either Word (.doc) or rich text format (.rtf) documents. I can even open my thesis (it's a Word document), complete with tables, graphs and pictures, in it and it works fine. I don't know if that is normal, however, since my brother is a computer whiz and he set up my computer for me. (He's also a purist...he thinks Microsoft is evil and that everyone should use Linux :D) Hopefully if you give it a try, OpenOffice works as well for you as it does for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make sure your disk is not just the program upgrade. If it is you won't be able to put it on your computer without a previous version of Word.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts