Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was gifted.. a whole bolt of dove gray upholstery velvet!

It's really cool, but the backing is too rough for clothing. I really don't know what the heck to do with it. I mean, it's really pretty, and my friend will be hurt if I don't use it, but since I don't actually upholster things...

HELP!

Reactions: mauimagic

·
19,119 Posts
You lucky lady!! I was thrown into learning to upholster over thirty years ago and ended up doing most of the furniture at the Golf Villas at Kapalua. What an experience!!

A bolt is a tremendous amount of fabric!! Is the color something that would work in your home?

How about if you play around with some of the fabric to get the feel for it - perhaps make a tote bag or something similar?

Redoing dining room chair seat covers is another good way to start.

Let us know more about your feelings for the fabric itself. do you feel as if you have to do something immediately with it or can you give it some time and thought?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
How about slip covers? I have always wanted to learn how to make them myself. That way you can change out the look of your couch or a couple of chairs....

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I'm not really sure the difference between upholstery velvet vs. regular velvet (is there one?). Perhaps you could make Christmas stockings, a Christmas tree skirt or something like that with it ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Upholstery velvet is a very heavy fabric with a slight bit of rubbery feel to the back. It is best used with upholstery thread and needles on your sewing machine.

Great neutral color! Will go well with other blue-based colors.

I'd use it for a table runner and placemats - add embellishments to the edges. You don't have to hem (fabric doesn't run) and hot glue is great for this!

Make totes. This is a really heavy fabric and would be really cool for this.

Armrest covers for couches and chairs. Make the head things for the back, too.

Make a caddy for all of the remotes and TV guides to hang on the couch arm.

Make a square to hang over the towel rack in your fancy bathroom and hang the fancy towels over it. Nice backdrop!

Make a shower curtain cover and embellish the bottom and/or sides.

Make a runner for the top of the toilet tank.

Yes! to a Christmas tree skirt, carpet bag luggage, slippers and recovering dining room chairs.

Lucky! Lucky!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Lined matching vests for Christmas family picture???

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
How about the back of a quilt or throw?
Pillow cases?

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys ROCK!

Thank you so much!

I need a new tree skirt for christmas anyway, so I'll start on that and a pretty table runner. And then I can have time to figure out what else to do with it.

I love the fabric, it's gorgeous and feels nice to touch. But I have teenagers swarming around my house all the time and a messy, hairy dog. I'm not sure that putting it on the main furniture would be too good an idea. It would look nice for about two hours before something ruined it :(

But I've always hated the dining room chairs....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts