Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't work. It would be costing us more money in daycare, commuting, etc. if I went back to work. My problem is that I need something that I can do from the internet that will bring in just a little bit of extra money. I live with my in-laws so anything dealing with phones is out of the question. I'm quite limited, unfortunately. If anyone has any ideas please let me know-- I feel like I'm at the end of a rope here.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. Avon is somehting simple that can be done from home and the start up is only 10.00. An idea.

I haven't found much else out there. I do adult toy parties, but that isn't for everyone. If you are interested, pm me. If not, no pressure.

I have been scouring the classifieds. Good luck to you! i am sure something will come along. In the mean time we can bounce ideas off each other!

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
What about proof reading, internet researcher, or anything like Avon, Mary Kay, Adult stuff (like Missy)? I do web design on the side, while it doesnt always bring in money for me it does bring other things to me because I barter my services for things that I can use or give as gifts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too great with web design... unfortunately. I have thought about avon. I've just now emailed my sister about it (she does it) and if it's something that can help a little bit then I'll jump on it. As for the adult things... I can (and would be more than willing) to do that but only when I move out of my in-laws house. I'm not looking to make millions... just something to bring in a few hundred every month or so.

I hope I can do avon... what about mystery shopping. I can probably wing something on the days my husband has off from work (we no longer have 2 vehicles...damnit.)

Thank you, I appreciate all of this.

:doh2:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
If you want to do mystery shopping, check out the message boards at
http://www.forumcityusa.com//index.php?mforum=ms
http://forum.volition.com/default.asp
http://www.narms.com/jobbank.html

There are hundreds of companies out there that are listed on the sites above that do mystery shopping all over the country. Not all companies will have something in your area, but the more you sign up with, the better chance you will have to find jobs. Sign up with Certified Reports, Shop n Chek, Bestmark, BMA, All have a good job board and usually have lots of regular shops. Certified and Shop n chek are not the highest paying but the are usually steady and do have a lot of projects. Certified also offers merchandising jobs which are sometimes less work, and offer better pay. Some of these are also on an ongoing basis. You pick the assignment, they give you a timeline to complete it, and you can do it when ever it fits into your schedule.
Check it out!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you have time during the day or at night that you can guarantee a noise free background you could take calls for company's from home. Here are some legit sites you could look at. The first one hires work at home employees, the other ones you would be a contractor, so you would have to take care of your own taxes and stuff, like being self employeed.

http://alpineaccess.com/external/index.html

http://www.vipdesk.com/info/default.asp

http://www.arise.com/Content/default.asp

Another site that might be helpful, http://www.womenforhire.com/

and there is always this http://drivers.freecarmedia.com/l2.cfm?pagename=AAhowitworks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you thought of selling on ebay? I make $300-500 a month profit by selling used clothing. You just need a computer, digital camera and space. It can easily be done in your basement..I work full time and do this maybe 2 hours a day. Put in more time, make more $$.

·
Registered
107 Posts
some folks at ***** are doing this associatedcontent.com thing. just write articles and get paid per piece...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not too great with web design... unfortunately. I have thought about avon. I've just now emailed my sister about it (she does it) and if it's something that can help a little bit then I'll jump on it. As for the adult things... I can (and would be more than willing) to do that but only when I move out of my in-laws house. I'm not looking to make millions... just something to bring in a few hundred every month or so.

I hope I can do avon... what about mystery shopping. I can probably wing something on the days my husband has off from work (we no longer have 2 vehicles...damnit.)
if you live with your in-laws, make sure that its okay with them if you spend a lot of time on the net especially if the pc belongs to them. even if the pc/laptop belongs to you but they are paying for the electric bills, make sure to ask them first to avoid any misunderstanding/confrontations later on. It takes quite a bit of time to do surveys that pay and surfing the net for bargains which you have to read a lot of boards to find out. There is money on the net, but you have to invest some time on it.

I have heard negative FB about mystery shopping, we even got a warning from our state's AG to be wary about some mystery shopping offers that offer lots of money to shop for free in exchange for FB about the companies they are assigned to mystery shop. Some of these have turned out to be scams so be careful and read the TOS carefully and never send money to be chosen as mystery shopper.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
if you live with your in-laws, make sure that its okay with them if you spend a lot of time on the net especially if the pc belongs to them. even if the pc/laptop belongs to you but they are paying for the electric bills, make sure to ask them first to avoid any misunderstanding/confrontations later on. It takes quite a bit of time to do surveys that pay and surfing the net for bargains which you have to read a lot of boards to find out. There is money on the net, but you have to invest some time on it.

I have heard negative FB about mystery shopping, we even got a warning from our state's AG to be wary about some mystery shopping offers that offer lots of money to shop for free in exchange for FB about the companies they are assigned to mystery shop. Some of these have turned out to be scams so be careful and read the TOS carefully and never send money to be chosen as mystery shopper.
I personally have done mystery shopping. I have done it since 2000. I have worked for many companies. You have to research the company first before you sign up to do jobs. There are some "bad apples" out there. Go to the boards on Volition first to check the feedback for a specific company before you sign up with them. There are scams out there but there are also lots of legit companies that do offer lots of jobs. I have done restaurants, fast food, retail stores, I even did a health screening, I have gotten my eyes examined, I have done price audits, I have done movie theater checks where you go and count the number of people that attend the movie showings., I have done movie trailer checks, I have done a hotel one night too. They regularly have bank shops, cellular phone shops, grocery stores, adn other types of shops.
Never pay money to a company for leads. You may have to put money out for a shop. Such as by a meal, make a small purchase at a store or even buy eye glasses, but some shops you not only get back your money for your purchase, you may even get a shopper fee on top of your reimbursement. I have done both. If you have any questions about mystery shopping, just PM me and I will certainly point you in the right direction. It can be a fun way to make a little extra cash.

I have done shops at Friendly's, Mcdonalds, Gymboree, Rita's Italian Ice, Ruby Tuesday, Petsmart, some local outlet mall stores, Aunt Annie's, Panerra Bread, Dollar stores, Pearl Vision, Holiday Inn, Blockbuster, Hoss's, Golden Corral, and some others that I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree with what Traci said!

The link to volition.com is WONDERFUL - their forums are great too. I've done audits and mystery shops since 2001 and I've never had a bad experience as far as not getting paid or getting scammed or anything.
The biggest thing to remember is that to mystery shop, THEY pay YOU! not the other way around, so NEVER pay a company for *information* :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think I may have the solution for some of you gals! If you can type faster than 65 WPM, have high speed internet, and Microsoft Word...SEND ME A MESSAGE NOW!!!

I do have to say...it is a REAL job. You have to work your way up (which is what I'm doing now) and pay rate varies depending on the project. THERE IS NO SELLING/CALLING/PARTIES/ETC. No upfront costs.

All you need is computer skills, listening skills, some free time, and patience.

I just don't want to post it, because I only want to hear from those who seriously need it. I don't want to give away my own job and lower my own workload! (Selfish, I know, but this is the only work I can do...Otherwise, it'll cost more for daycare than I can even make at a traditional job).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's one for ya.. this is what I did to make money while staying home with my precious little girl. Get some real estate on the WEB! ie.. BUILD A WEBSITE! Don't know where to start or what to build your site about? I know how complicated it can all seem, however, I know how to get you started and setup for very minimal cost plus this company shows you how to do everything you need to be successful. It worked for me... perhaps for you too. Don't worry if you don't have anything to sell, they will help you find your niche and other ways to make money. It does take time and motivation but once you get going it's truly awesome what you can do!
guess i can't post the link... so email me and I'll give it to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm interested....

I think I may have the solution for some of you gals! If you can type faster than 65 WPM, have high speed internet, and Microsoft Word...SEND ME A MESSAGE NOW!!!

I do have to say...it is a REAL job. You have to work your way up (which is what I'm doing now) and pay rate varies depending on the project. THERE IS NO SELLING/CALLING/PARTIES/ETC. No upfront costs.

All you need is computer skills, listening skills, some free time, and patience.

I just don't want to post it, because I only want to hear from those who seriously need it. I don't want to give away my own job and lower my own workload! (Selfish, I know, but this is the only work I can do...Otherwise, it'll cost more for daycare than I can even make at a traditional job).

Please email me the information about the job opportunities that you were talking about to [email protected] I'm working part time now for measely pay with no hope of working my way up. I also have 2 young children that need me to be at home with them now that school is about to let out for the summer.

Thank you!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Not sure what kind of typing Heather does, but if you are a decent typist, and decent speller... you may want to see if your local community college has courses for medical transcription.

I did this years ago, I received financial aid to pay for it. The training was only about 12 weeks. Then I found a bank job and never used the training :scratch:

But recently I was talking to another mom from my dd's school. She is a SAHM with 6 kids. She took the same course and is doing transcription typing from home. The software she uses alerts her to misspelled words, etc... much more advanced & easy than when I learned!

I may look into doing this after my job ends (being outsourced to India sometime this year :shake:). My typing is only at about 50 wpm now, but I figure it'll just take me a bit longer to complete the work until I get my speed up.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
When my son was first born I made a lot of money selling baby clothes and accessories online. You could try that. If you don't have anything to sell of your own, check freecycle and the free section on craigslist for stuff people are getting rid of and you could sell that. If you're good at sewing you could make things for babies to sell online too.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I am very interested. Work two jobs it'a killing me! Email me at [email protected]. Thanks

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I am a medical transcriptionist and have been working at home for several years now. The best advice I can give is to visit mtchat.com and spend a significant amount of time reading the wealth of posts there. Medical transcription is much, much more than listening and typing what you hear.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I currently do Mystery Shopping, merchandising, write for AC and do product demos. :thumb:

I have found lots of these through the Forum at Volition and through NARMS.

Also you can find opps through Monster.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts