Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice on how to buy tires?

I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra. I want good tires, but don't need the "best". I definitely need something that is good in the snow but I don't want the feel of driving in a truck.

any advice so I don't get ripped off?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i have found that small local garages make me pay more than the places that specifically sell tires since the smaller places often only carry one type.

alot of times you can get a buy 3 get 1 free or rebates with some of the chain places and they also

of course if you have a friend etc that has a garage you may find it to be the opposite .

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I go to Discount Tire. They typically have the best prices, free rotations and repairs for the life of the tire, and are pretty quick about their service. I imagine you could ask for a discount or sale, they seem pretty open to help people out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I actually get all my tires from a Mom & Pop tire store that's been around for decades. They always have the best price in our area & the best service. Ask all your friends for recommendations, there might be a place in your area that is known to be the best. I do my research online, choose the tire I want, then call all the local tire shops for price quotes on a specific tire (and always end up at the Mom & Pop shop).

I just replaced tires with Hankook Optimo H727 tires. They had great reviews and 4 yr. 100,000 mile tread wear warranty. It greatly improved the ride of my car and appears to be just fine in the snow.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check out Tirerack.com just to see what is out there. You can find reviews on what you like, then start calling around places. Do they offer, rotations, balance, warranty, installation?? I never went into somewhere if I hadn't called them. When I lived in the States, I usually got min at a Warehouse like Sams. Good luck!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I used to buy mine from Wal-mart but they never seemed to last. Last set I got was from Tirerack.com. They were specifically designed for my 05 CTS and were a little pricy but have been great so far.

BF is a mechanic so I got them shipped here and he installed for free at work during his lunch hour (they are allowed to do that).

I highly suggest dating a mechanic to get free car work, well worth the effort.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at BJ's today so I asked how much it would be for 4 new tires.

For 4 Michelin tires it would be $445 installed with tax and everything and that includes free rotation, flat repair and a few other things.

they were $80 something a piece with a $15 charge per tire to install.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I highly suggest dating a mechanic to get free car work, well worth the effort.
Okay - That made me laugh. I too am due for new tires. Took my truck in for oil change and my mechanics came back w/ "We don't want to see that truck back w/o new tires."

I've used Discount cuz' of their free flat fix which is handy but I think I'll comparison shop w/ Costco.

I don't have to worry about snow tires but when I did I used to buy "All Treads" which allowed you to not have to switch out tires for the season.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
final post on tire purchase -

I went to BJ's and bought 4 new Michelin X Radial tires. Tire price was $89.99 per tire plus $15 per tire installation charge. Total was $445.16 HOWEVER I used a $70 coupon and final price was $370.96.

I did a quick search online and the listed price was $111 per tire. I feel good about my purchase and now I will feel safe when driving in the snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.