Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to love to read. Then I got busy and didn't have time to read. I have time now and would like to start reading again. However, I have no idea what to read. I can go to the library, but I don't even know where to start looking. Right now I'm reading a Nora Roberts book I had lying around the house. I don't really enjoy it, but I'm going to finish it anyway. I like a good story, but the explicit manner in which she writes isn't really what I'm looking for.

So, here's what I know I like and don't like, if you could make some recommendations I would appreciate it. :)

I like...
Historical fiction, especially WWII era
A good love story is nice, as long as it's not too explicit.
I wouldn't mind reading Christian books, but all the ones I have tried to read are too, well, cheesy for me to enjoy.

I don't like...
Anything sci-fi or futuristic
a lot of explicit language or love scenes

Hmmm...thats about it. Even though these are my preferences, give me your recommendations whether they fit in or not, I'm willing to try reading almost anything and would love to find something new.

TIA!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I read mostly non-fiction, but I do like Janette Oke books...christian fiction set in the pioneer days. My favorites would still have to be the classics though....Pride and Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.
I often go to amazon.com and just browse through the categories I like, make a list and go to the library.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You don't mention if you like suspense/thrillers, horror, or mysteries, so sorry if some of these aren't something you'd like.

Showdown by Ted Dekker.
Saint also by Ted Dekker.
The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry.

For romance, one of my favorites is Saving Grace by Julie Garwood.
Ransom also by Julie Garwood. (I've always liked Julie Garwood over Nora Roberts.)

Um. There are others, but I don't have them on hand and I'm sun burned to the point that there's no way I can hunt them down (the husband has even exempted me from cooking and cleaning). I'll have to have the husband dig them out of my stacks later. (It might be a day or two, his flight comes in tonight around 730... he was supposed to be here around 4. He's sooo not happy right now.)

·
Registered
708 Posts
C.S. Lewis and Francine Rivers are two of the best Christian authors out there. In particular, try Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy: Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness and As Sure as the Dawn. Other excellent books by her are: Leota's Garden, The Atonement Child and Redeeming Love. For C.S. Lewis, I'd start out with the Narnia series and the Screwtape Letters.

For romance, one of my favorites is Saving Grace by Julie Garwood.
I agree; Julie Garwood is one of the best out there. Saving Grace is one of my favorite books. Also try Prince Charming, Guardian Angel, The Gift, Castles and For the Roses.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I just finished reading The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber and it was a nice easy read, it is about a woman who is cancer survivor twice who opens a yarn shop and begins a knitting class. The book tells her story and that of her 3 students. It was not an exciting book but it was a nice relaxing read, a bit of romance, a bit of interesting family dynamics and wonderful friendships. I have the sequel to it to read A Good Yarn but I am going to read something a little more exciting before I read it. I actually have The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry in my bookshelf so I think I will read that next.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If you like a good love story you should check out Nicholas Sparks. Especially The Wedding and The Notebook. I must warn you, you will need some tissue.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I love Julie Garwood, Steve Berry, Jan Karon.

Also, I've started reading classics again. Barnes and Noble has them on the cheap. So far I've reread Little Women, Secret Garden, working on Wizard of Oz, then Alice in Wonderland.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have to warn you. Diana Gabaldon's books have explicit sex scenes.
I agree with the Debbie Macomber books. Nice light reading and funny too.
As far as WWII books there are some older books out there that I have read but I can't for the life of me remember the authors name. If it comes to me I will let you know. Judith something or another. Now that's going to drive me nuts!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
C.S. Lewis and Francine Rivers are two of the best Christian authors out there. In particular, try Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy: Voice in the Wind, Echo in the Darkness and As Sure as the Dawn. Other excellent books by her are: Leota's Garden,

I have actually read all of these. Once I started the Mark of the Lion series, I could not put them down. Really excellent. Leota's garden made me cry like a baby. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, if you have any more, lay them on me, you and I apparently have the same kind of taste in books.

Just in case anyone else is reading this thread looking for good books, I have read just about everything from Brock and Bodie and Thoene. They are excellent writers and have WONDERFUL historical references.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just read a book a couple months ago that was probably one of the best books I've ever read. I'm normally into something historical in nature with a love story woven into it. I love reading about pioneer days, etc.

This book was a departure from that,and it does have a scene that isn't really explicit but is disturbing. However, the whole story revolves around that issue. It is more about how the character deals with it and there were a couple times I just wanted to cry..

The name of it was "The Kite Runner". I can't remember the authors name. I think he's got a new one coming out soon. I don't know if this book would be up your alley or not, but it's about two little boys in Afghanistan and the events that shape one of the boys life and how the other bo

y affected everything in his life. Very moving, and I still think about it, and have to remind myself "it was just a book!" :)

I also reread Wilderness Mother by Deanna Kawatski ( good book about living in the wilderness of British Columbia. I think someone on here suggested it as a matter of fact.

I'm going to sit down and make out a list sometime of books that I've enjoyed over the last year. I'm a big reader, but usually only at night when I have time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have to warn you. Diana Gabaldon's books have explicit sex scenes.
I agree with the Debbie Macomber books. Nice light reading and funny too.
As far as WWII books there are some older books out there that I have read but I can't for the life of me remember the authors name. If it comes to me I will let you know. Judith something or another. Now that's going to drive me nuts!
Oops you're right, some might find them explicit. I don't think they're explicit though. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I actually just finished The Screwtape Letters. Overview: It's letters from one demon to his nephew on how to steal souls. It's very good. I'd say either that or "The Jungle" from Upton Sinclair. It's one of my all time favorites. It's a sad but thoughtful story.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Also, I've started reading classics again. Barnes and Noble has them on the cheap. So far I've reread Little Women, Secret Garden, working on Wizard of Oz, then Alice in Wonderland.
If anyone is interested in classics, check out http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page, quite possibly the largest collection of free eBooks out there. Their goal is to put every open source book up on the Net for free. They have all the classics: L.M. Montgomery, Shakespeare, the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, the Wizard of Oz books, pretty much everything that's not copyrighted anymore. It's well worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I really like Dianne Mott-Davidson mysteries with a caterer often finding the bodies and solving the crimes, and the Cat Who ... series, whose author I'm drawing a blank on right now. I'm going through a medieval spell right now though. Currently reading The Spider King about Louis XI of France.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I just finished reading The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber and it was a nice easy read, it is about a woman who is cancer survivor twice who opens a yarn shop and begins a knitting class. The book tells her story and that of her 3 students. It was not an exciting book but it was a nice relaxing read, a bit of romance, a bit of interesting family dynamics and wonderful friendships. I have the sequel to it to read A Good Yarn but I am going to read something a little more exciting before I read it. I actually have The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry in my bookshelf so I think I will read that next.

I read A Good Yarn, I liked it and it was a light read. I didn't know it was a sequel to The Shop on Blossom Street. I'll have to check that one out. Someone recommended the Confetti Man to me recently. I forget who the author is, but the woman knows this author personally. I don't know what it is about though, and I had a difficult time finding anything about this book online.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I really like Janet Evanowich (sp) Her main character is Stephanie Plum an ex lingerie buyer turned bounty hunter. I think her books are hilarious. Her books come in a series .....One For the Money, Two For the Show.........you get the idea. Whenever I need to laugh I reread one of these books.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children series, starting with Clan of the Cave Bear and Toni Morrison's Beloved (a Pulitzer winner) are good historical fiction novels. Also, Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland; or The Transformation: An American Tale (which was the first American novel) and anything by Jane Austen. Oh, and Zora Neal Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God, William Dean Howells's The Rise of Silas Lapham, and Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth. (Yes, I have an affinity for historical fiction, although I prefer the Victorian and early American periods to the twentieth century.)

James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie are a couple of good tearjerkers.

The one book I absolutely DO NOT recommend to anyone, ever: James Fennimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans. Worst book I've ever read. Absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
GoodNight Mister Tom and A Little Love Song by Michelle Magorian are two of the best books i have ever read.
A Little Love Song was passed around between my sister, my mum and me then passed on to my OH aunt.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I read Marley and Me and thought that was pretty good. I am in a book club now so I have just been reading what we pick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts