Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is getting married on April 1st. Rather than a traditional wedding cake, they are serving cheese cake. They have asked me to bake them. . . So, please share your favorite cheesecake recipes.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I just love it....

This recipe was found surfing the net...HTH...

INGREDIENTS
15 graham crackers, crushed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving
This was my first ever attempt at Cheesecake and it turned out perfect! I read quite a few reviews, so I took a few tips of advice. I had to purchase a springfoam pan for this recipe. I followed the recipe almost. I used 1 1/4 cups of graham cracker crumbs and doubled the amount of butter (and used real butter) I also added about 1/4 tsp of cinnamon to the crust and about a teaspoon-tablespoon of white sugar to the crust. I added about one tablespoon of lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture. I used regular cream cheese and whole milk (though tempted to buy the reduced fat cream cheese and lower fat milk, I didn't want to chance it and compromise the taste) I greased my pan very well and did use a version of this crazy water bath I had read about. I put about 1" of hot water in a 9X13 pyrex and put it in the oven on the rack directly under the rack the cheesecake was on. I baked for one hour on 350 degrees and never even opened the oven door! I wanted to so badly, but was afraid it would mess the cheesecake up. I let it cool for the full amount of time, and when I took it out, It was golden brown on top and not one crack and It did not sink either! the taste was excellent, will definitely make this one again! This will be my cheesecake recipe-it tastes store bought.

MUST take out the waterbath immediately after baking is done, otherwise the cake will be over cooked.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I don't have my cheesecake recipe with me right this minute. I know it calls for three bars of cream cheese. The main thing I do different is: use chocolate graham crackers for the crust instead og plain graham crackers. We usually top ours with raspberry syrup. I'll try to type our recipe in a bit.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have lots - how complicated are you comfortable with, and do you want "plain" or flavored (chocolate, praline, dulce-de-leche, raspberry, etc?) I spent one summer baking for a friend of mine who had bought a business and then had her husband fall ill. Nothing like starting the morning making 40 pounds of bread, and scones, muffins, croissants, cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, etc.! I LOVED it, and worked hard enough that I didn't gain weight!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty good at baking. . . but I have to make enough of these to serve 200+ people. I'm guessing they'll need to be pretty simple, for me to get them done in time.

We're planning on plain cheesecakes (and then adding various toppings when we serve them)

·
Registered
693 Posts
The one I have is my Great Grandmothers. It is Italian.
We gorge on it each visit to Grandmas. She is 87 and still bakes it.
It calls for cream cheese or hoop cheese.
cottage cheese is used instead of rigotta I think...not too sure
Sour Cream
sugar
eggs
wheat germ for crust
I can get you the recipie if you want it.
It is very good but different as well...

really easy but a special dish must be used. Like a pyrex circular dish. The wheat germ is sprinkled onto the buttered dish and after the cheesecake is baked the wheat germ sticks to the cheesecake and makes a crust of sorts.
Kinda more of a damp cake, as opposed to NY Cheesecake..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You cut them in 8 pieces to serve, so you need 25 cakes. Do you have a freezer available? Also, how would they feel about you making them in rectangular pans and cutting square servings (I think it might be easier) for serving the guests and they having one round one for "show" - possible decorated with edible flowers?

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not done cheesecake in a square pan --- how do you get them out? or do you just cut them in the pan and serve that way?

I like the idea of just a few round ones for show. . . and I doubt they care if they are square pieces to serve.

We'll have access to a freezer, up to the time to get ready for the wedding-- then everything will have to be transported to the wedding/reception area (outdoor wedding, on a farm)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
If you want something super easy, I've seen that Philidelphia has a ready to serve cheesecake filling. Probably sold with regular cream cheese. I haven't tried it, but it might me worth trying out to save time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't have a good recipe but just wanted to say -- what a neat idea! Having cheesecake instead of a regular wedding cake that is. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
OOOooooo! Yummm!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Borrowed from another website

this looks easy, and super decadent

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Crustless NY cheesecake

from my Italian godmother - you will never want anything else again. Seriously.

Cream 3 blocks of cream cheese and 1 cup sugar.
Mix in 4 eggs, one at a time.
Stir in 3/4 tsp almond extract

Grease a pie plate with butter.
Pour in cheesecake batter and bake for 40-45 minutes at 325. Cool for 20 minutes for adding topping

TOPPING
1 - 16 oz. container of sour cream
5T sugar
2t vanilla extract

Pour on top of baked cheesecake and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Cool in fridge. Top with cherry pie filling for REALLY good cheesecake.

If you want to really stretch this, buy two premade graham cracker crusts and pour half of the batter into each when baking. Split sr. cream topping between the two. VOILA! TWO cheesecakes, with crust! lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cheesecake

Check out kraftfoods website or the food networks website for recipes. I use both websites for alot of my recipes.
HTH
Kristia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts