Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had thawed out some steaks last night then I got busy and everyone just fixed sandwiches for dinner. I asked dd to put the steaks in the fridge, but she didn't she put them in the freezer. They are refroze can I thaw them again and still eat them? TIA

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I don't know... I always heard you shouldn't refreeze meat.
I bet someone else will know for sure....

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
They say that you should not refreeze meat, but the butcher at Ralph's told me that they do it two or three times before the customer actually buys it, so what difference would once more make? I would eat it without reservation, but that is me. I wouldnt dare throw it away, in fact I could not.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Was it completely thawed?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I heard you shouldn't re-freeze unless you had cooked it first.

I have some REAL phobias about food and I definately wouldn't chance it. But I hate food shopping, hate cooking and hate eating so what would I know LOL. JMO

·
27,948 Posts
It might effect flavor but I don't think it would hurt you.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
My dh said you are should thaw it upside down, because the blood freezes toward the bottom, that way it wont be dry. He would eat it too he says.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'd eat it. I asked the guy at the meat counter about refreezing meat once and he said it wouldn't hurt it. A lot of the meat I buy in bulk is frozen. I thaw it out, repackage and refreeze without any problem.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
It's not a problem, you can have some freezer burn from the liquid refreezing......... OLD WIVES TALE Ladies... Just make sure what you freeze is dry and well wrapped... and is GOOD meat to begin with and there is no problem !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
NO! You run the risk of getting food poisoning....you can only re-freeze it if you have cooked it first. I learned this in my Food Sanitation class in college :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts