Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quit for a the new year. I have tried to quit once before in 2008 with those patches, I was successful for about 3 months until a big trigger happened. DBF smokes as well and we stopped buying "our" brand and started rolling them so its only $15 or so a month but I decided to quit for health reasons. obviously.. lol

yesterday the cravings weren't that bad. I stayed busy chewed lots of gum and seemed fine. This morning I did have a craving, it passed.. But now I am so GROUCHY!! oh my goodness, I want to bite everyones head off. WOW... nicotine is such a strong evil drug..

Has anyone else quit? how do I not kill everyone? haha!:smhelp:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Has anyone else quit? how do I not kill everyone? haha!:smhelp:
There is a quit club...........read the thread for all sorts of ideas and join up.

If you have quit before you know that there is a 'period' where it is the worst for you...........can vary for each person........but that will pass.

My cousin used to brush her teeth a lot........she said she didn't want that 'smoke taste' in her mouth........and that helped. :laugh:

I have put a whole clove in my cheek..........then can play with it with my tongue.........helped me stop the eating substitute too.

Read some of the threads for other ideas.............

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've recently quit smoking too. Tried the nicotine lozenges but they made my tongue so sore that I could barely stand it and I only used 2 of them. The things I found that helped me the most was to sleep and or read a book. If I'm up and doing things it is worse because I always took breaks and smoked. I'm still having cravings but they are way better than in the beginning. I have to say that if I can quit than ANYBODY can. But I'm beginning to believe it has to be the right time for each individual. In the past, just the thought of trying to quit would make me ill. I couldn't last a day. But I decided to quit after Thanksgiving and keep it secret to surprise my kids for Christmas. Don't know why it worked this time but it has. I have had a few bumps in the road where I bummed one from a friend but I haven't bought any and don't plan to. In the past when I broke down and smoked one I thought well I'll just keep smoking cause I blew it...this time I've given myself permission to screw up occasionally as long as I don't buy any. Since I don't want to be a bum forever I'm gonna try to not bum one when everyone else is smoking anymore.
Just keep at it....you can do it. I smoked for 35 years and truly liked smoking so it is possible to put'em down.

Reactions: chevy_chick95

·
27,948 Posts
Keep a water bottle (screw top that you can unscrew & screw back on) with you at all times for a while. Water is good for you and gives you something to do with your hands & mouth. Man, what I wrote sounds kinda :hubba: lol. Whatever works. :D
I quit cold turkey 20+ years ago and still think about them but it's my choice not to start again. You've got the power too, cheering you on. :cheergrl:

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I read a lot when I quit, 26 years ago now (!). I had a huge motivator, I had pleurisy and angina,at 29. It was really obvious if I wanted to make it to 56 or so, I had to quit ASAP. I quit cold turkey on my 30th birthday.

I also found that for me, the smoke was literally a "smoke screen" and that after I got rid of the need to put something in my mouth/hands all the time that was the worst; I felt naked. I had reading glasses and I ended up putting them on and taking them off as a "substitute." It sounds silly even to me, but it helped!

I hope something in here is useful for you --

Judi

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good for you Brandi and thanks for asking the question. I love alot of the responses and will put them to good use tomorrow. That's the day I am quitting too. :) Good luck!!! Let's hope we both don't kill someone!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Good luck to you and you can do it! I just did it cold turkey and the first few days was the worst. It will be five years this Oct. that I haven't touched the stuff. I sometimes still think about it or get an urge if I'm really stressed, but as time goes by it slowly goes away.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read a lot when I quit, 26 years ago now (!). I had a huge motivator, I had pleurisy and angina,at 29. It was really obvious if I wanted to make it to 56 or so, I had to quit ASAP. I quit cold turkey on my 30th birthday.

I also found that for me, the smoke was literally a "smoke screen" and that after I got rid of the need to put something in my mouth/hands all the time that was the worst; I felt naked. I had reading glasses and I ended up putting them on and taking them off as a "substitute." It sounds silly even to me, but it helped!

I hope something in here is useful for you --

Judi
That makes perfect sense, I feel naked! Lol I already wear glasses... ill have to ponder about that, I bet it would rrally help if I found a similiar physical activitiy. Thank you!

Good for you Brandi and thanks for asking the question. I love alot of the responses and will put them to good use tomorrow. That's the day I am quitting too. :) Good luck!!! Let's hope we both don't kill someone!
Good for you debbie! Mornings are really hard I've found, it's like instant pms when I wake up...I sure hope mornings get easier sooner rather than later. I got sugar free candy last night to try out, I had been chewing gum but I was chewing so" violently" my jaw is killing me haha! Goood luck debbie ill be cheering you on!

Reactions: Judi Dial

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I quit eight years ago and i am so happy i did. For me i used the patch. To keep myself from going crazy i played a lot of online games through pogo at the time. I kept a tin of altoids in my purse that helped for me. If I who smoked two packs a day can do it any one can. Remember to be kind to yourself and treat yourself to a massage or dinner out. Good luck to you all

Reactions: chevy_chick95

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good for you... most of it is mental b/c the nicotene is out of your system pretty quickly...

Smoking is a cycle, where the last one only makes you want another one. Soon as I used to finish one, I'd kinda count on lighting up another one as soon as I "needed" it, whether it be five minutes or hours if I was with someone I didn't smoke around.

Things to remember.. it's not a sacrifice.. you are not giving up anything that is precious, important, or helpful.

It's something to be happy about... and if you ever thought of them as your "friend"... well it helps to see them as a negative.. be it that you call them nasty, or costly, or a hassle to grab a smoke in certain places with certain people.

Also don't be intimidated by it when people say to you that they STILL want one... it's true, you will at times walk by someone smoking, ( usually a group) and feel a sort of nostalgia.. but realize it's something that passes..

and most important.. the cravings lesson, become gradual and just aren't intense anymore.. In fact, for most people I think the urge after being quit for a while may last a few seconds.. you can definately handle that.

It is the BEST thing I ever did for myself. And you know what? Strangely after quitting, I was told by my doc I had a disease that was chronic and eventually fatal unless I want a transplant or dialysis..... I thought for sure that would send me right back to them but nope, I thought I am glad I quit, at least I won't have to live my last few years smelling nasty ;-)

The only feeling I have about smoking now is really I ask myself how could I do that? I could have a TON of money from what I spent on those things :)

Find the bright spots, realize it's not a sacrifice and anything you could do with cigs, you can do just as well without or even better.

Happy New Year and Congrats!!!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Good Luck!

FYI - Statistics show that most people quit smoking SEVERAL times before it sticks. I am one of those people.

I quit on numerous occasions, but I think this one "stuck". I have not smoked in several years and the cravings are FINALLY gone. I also find that I don't like the smell of cigarettes anymore!

It is hard to do and don't let anybody tell you differently. I THINK the reason it worked for me this time is that I had breathing problems after emergency surgery while I was still smoking. I realized I wasn't getting any younger. I didn't want to be one of those people on a hover round touting an oxygen tank. I want to be a cool old chick on her Harley!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well today is day 7. I'm doing pretty well I think. there are still cravings, biut am unemployed and sit at home all day so instead of playing online or just looking for a job for 8 hours a day I incorporate my news years resolutions into my day. I just stay very busy. I am gong offline for a few weeks, so just wanted to update everyone. thank you for the support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.