Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making up bath salts for a fundraiser and accidentally grabbed the bottle of 'candle making scents' instead of the 'soap making scents'. I realized it AFTER I made up 12 qt sized jars of the stuff. The candle making scent says 'avoid contact with skin' so I can't sell it as bath salts. But I've already put my money into it - soooo...any ideas on how I could market this anyway?? Would people buy it as a room freshener kind of thing? How could I assemble it so it's something cute they want to buy? Most of these are moms so I was thinking it'd be nice to have some kind of lid on it. They're currently in canning jars...do you think some kind of veiling on top would work? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!! I've also posted this in the soap forum in case someone there has a good idea too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is it in liquid form? You could sell it as the simmering potpourri oil. You know it goes in a container with a tea light under it. The tea light heats it and that makes the scent go through the room. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
can you make it into those little sachet (sp?) that you put in drawers and closets? or will it work like the stuff you can sprinkle on your floor then vaccuum up and it freshens your vaccuum until you change the bag or empty the canister? Those are my only thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas!

It's just salts with scent and color - so no, not liquid. I do like the sachet idea though. I saw some cute jars today that I was thinking of just putting the salts into and putting a pretty Christmas bow on and selling that way.

The other idea was, after googling, I found Salt Potpourri - I could sell it as that in a cute jar maybe??

I'm not sure it would work as a carpet thing and it does have a bit of yellow color in it so I'd hate to tell people to use it that way.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I like the potpourri thing. I have seen these jars with like screen tops and they have smelly stuff in it. They were in people's bathrooms as a "smell good".

Oooo... Screening!! You could buy the plastic screening for windows and put those over the canning jars. That way, the smell can come out but the salts will stay in. And, little fingers won't be able to get the salts out to nibble on!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was going to say potpouri too...in a crock with some water, that would be nice!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
some vintage looking salt shakers (don't know the real word for them), but their short and round, with a metal lid that has decent (but not huge) holes on top. If the salts are colored or tinted nice, you can market them as room fresheners. Similar to something called "smelly jellys" that are selling well right now. Should work with no problems that way ~ I made some bath salts yesterday with scent thats good for candles, soap or lotion (had a home based business making all that good stuff). If you can find scents that work for skin in corresponding scents, you can make a *pamper me* basket, with room scent and bath salts.

Hope that helps some and was somewhat coherent...shouldn't type on pain pills..lol

Sara

1 - 7 of 7 Posts