Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dh and I traded in our old cars (Dh's truck needed a whole lot of work and he was tired of messing with it and my car was just too small for our family's needs) and bought a 2001 Ford F150 in December. That was $11,531. It's now sitting at $10,954.14.

Last week, we took some of our tax money and put a down payment on a brand spankin new 2007 Harley Davidson. That total is 11784.24. Yup, we are paying more for the darn motorcycle then we are the truck by $253! :ack: But it is a Harley so really retains it's value (Harleys never drop below $5000).

We needed a 2nd vehical anyway and after looking at everything, it is going to save us some money in the long run having a bike instead of another car. It's going to cut our gas budget by at least half with DH driving it to work instead of the truck plus we now get a multi vehical discount on our insurance plus with me as a primary driver on the truck, it dropped a bit off too.

Dh is really on :cloud9:. He just loves it so much, he is out there every day cleaning and polishing it. HAHA! And now I have a vehical during the day. :) I just think it's funny. :D

We are planning on paying both of them off by the end of 2008. I am paying an extra $25 to each every month and once DH deploys next year, all extra money is going to that first.

G

·
Wow - I think my DH would die and go to heaven if I suggested that we buy him a Harley!!

We've always talked about taking the classes and getting our licenses and buying bikes, but it just hasn't been higher enough on the list for us to get around to. I keep telling DH that we should save it for our mid-life crises (LOL).

You are right about the gas savings - and as long as it makes you happy!

·
8,714 Posts
~You're in a state that requires a helmet, right? Please, PLEASE make your DH wear one. My DH wanted a motorcycle, too(a sportbike) before we bought his car. I was worried about his knees(3 surgeries) but he wasn't deterred until a female teammember and close friend at work was run off the highway by a semi while she was out riding her Harley. She would have been killed if not for that helmet. And that cured my DH of wanting one. In NJ you have to wear a helmet but I see riders in other states bareheaded and I want to SCREAM at them! OK, I'm done ranting. Oh is the seat big enough for you to hop on back? My daddy has a Harley and would often pick me up from work on it. It's just awesome fun!~

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My dh would be on cloud 9 also if he could have a Harley. He had a Ninja which is not the same. I had him sale it. Our youngest kept wanting to take it out. Plus our state doesn't require you to wear a helmet, I just required it.
I had a friend in high school who had a motorcycle and he was out riding it one day and a lady runs a stop sign and he hits the car and flips and the bike scattered everywhere. He broke all his ribs, leg and arm plus his right arm was paralyzed. He wasn't wearing a helmet. So he was lucky he survived.
So I also hope your dh wears a helmet.
I have to say I love the Ford F150's. Ford has a new one now, I can't remember what its called. But its huge to me and it has an extended cab. It is so pretty. I don't know if its because my dad was a truck driver or what. But I have always loved big trucks. I would have one now if my dh would let me. lol

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, the day after we got it we went down and got a good full faced helmet (with an awesome design on the sides :D), a padded jacket and gloves. DH has to wear gear because he's in the Army but he would anyway. He is always really big on safety, thank goodness.

We are going to buy an extra seat for the back so I can ride with him. :) But it has to wait a few months so we can save up a little more money since we have to buy a helmet for me too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Woot Tammi! Im glad you two finally got that bike, congrats:)

They scaaare me lol

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Wow my husband would be on Cloud 9 too but a boke let alone a car cannot fit in our budget right now, glad you guys can do it though! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Alright Tammi, you're making me look bad here. :) DH has wanted a bike forever, he used to have one many years ago. He actually sold it to buy my engagement ring! What a sweetie.
Anyway...I hope you both enjoy it and get tons of use out of it. Have fun and be safe! Now, get out here and get yourself a helmet. Warmer weather is coming and this is the best time to be out on the road!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I was going to suggest leathers and a full face helmet. DH has a bike and I figure that investing in a full face helmet, leathers, and decent riding boots is worth the savings of the hospital bills if he is ever in an accident.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to suggest leathers and a full face helmet. DH has a bike and I figure that investing in a full face helmet, leathers, and decent riding boots is worth the savings of the hospital bills if he is ever in an accident.

Yup I agree. There's nothing too expensive for safety, IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts