1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
2,258 Posts
I'm not sure thrift stores want to keep crappy stuff around so someone will feel good about buying the better items. Or keep junky food storage containers to sell for pennies, in order to help someone save money. They are in the business to make money. They won't keep something that will bring 25 cents if the same space can hold something they can sell for $2.00. They are not in business (for the most part) to provide a way for poor people to buy things cheaply.

I wish they would put out a table of free stuff, outside, so people can use the things they don't want to sell, instead of throwing them out.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
Different stores use different business models. SA around here tries to sell almost everything they get, and it's usually pretty cheap and some is pretty junky. GW has higher standards about what they will put out, and they're more expensive but the stuff is usually nicer. I know what to donate where. But I never donate stuff I wouldn't buy myself.

Some stores also make money baling and selling worn and stained clothes and other fabric items by the pound. Not sure what happens to that. Some stores also strip buttons and zippers off worn clothing and sell those, as part of training and/or employment opportunities for people who need help in that area.

One thing left out of the article is donating stuff that's not the best or is incomplete and uses for that. I buy a lot of stuff to repurpose, and sometimes the odd stuff is the best find.

I don't think people should donate stuff that's obviously junk though. Still, I do realize sometimes junk is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
So not in the same exact vane as this lady but I rely on thrift,resale,ebay,G.sales,church sales and estate sales etc. to keep this family going too. It isnt out of survival like her but IF we want to retire and presently live on 50% of our income to have money to save and invest we have to. AND if i want to continue to help charities and support this number of animals we personally do I have to. I must say as SD said I buy some odd things to repurpose and make do by going at the end of church sales and G.sales. I also stockpile so i can help others. This extra cash often comes from buying used and skipping things like haircuts and extending those oil changes another month and such. I have admittedly coupon dove and curb shopped to resale items. I also have a few sleazier resale shops that arent so greedy as S.A. and Goodwill. So even though my Dh makes good money I live way below and use those thrifts to fund our life style.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I have found some good stuff outside of the smaller local thrift stores. It usually has a "FREE" sign on it and I reupholster, revise, repurpose it.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Larabelle-we have no such luxury. Our S.A. and goodwill will sell to Value World. Now Target donates to S.A. but I understams Walmart sells returns to them. Not sure where clothes bundles go here. It used to be rag bags but now I think its per pound clothing stores. IK the Pontiac store is everything clothes for .99
IK some stores donate day olds and some incinerate in the Kroger chain. Now Meijers and I think Walmart donate bread and that to the Aunt Millie day old bread store. But really no free stuff.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm retired and depend on thrift stores for clothing and household items. We have Goodwill which is over crowded, over priced crap. Another shop supports the women's shelter and has mostly name brand clothing in very good condition. Prices are very fair. Another shop supports mentally handicapped and it has a large facility with large inventory of both high end and not so good stuff priced the same as the better shop. A third shop supports a men's homeless shelter and its in a shabby building with no a/c and minimal heat in the winter. Most clothing items are $1 and range from trash to treasures. I bought 3 brand new sweatshirts for $1 each there last fall.

I follow a v-log Lifting Pins and Needles. The lady is living in a South American country where there are very few fabric stores so she buys clothing in street markets and repurposes the fabric into clothing for herself. She's mentioned several times that bundles are shipped from the USA so that may be where SA and GW send their bundles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’m a little late reading this article however, I found it enjoyable. I shop second hand for a few reasons: environmental (no packaging to throw away, no new materials needed to used to make the item, saves the item from the trash), price and the thrill of finding a bargain. I shop second hand with pride, buying store brand too. It’s not so much about being poor as it is about having a ‘poor mentality’ ~ Amy Dacyczyn

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
yep second hand all the way. lots of stores around like that here though some like value village get nuts with the prices at times. but then that is what discount days are for and they except most of the donations without getting picky. You have to know your prices. But great for clothes, toys, books and just different things for collections or gifts. Plus getting older kitchenware which is usually better quality.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
a go to place.. dropped off 3 boxes/bags of stuff at value village which earned me a 30% discount card. Had one from last time so used it to get ds some good shoes. not much to pick from in mens sizes.. men don't seem to buy or get rid of shoes as much as women lol but found a pair of leather laceup ankle hiking style boots. hit wallyworld for runners.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yep. I'm a devout thrifter! Today my "foundation garments" were bought new, boots on deep discount, jeans and sweater are thrift. Coat is thrift. The t-shirt was 5$.

My best friend from college and I are hoping to go to Santa Fe for Xmas holiday and I asked what he wanted to do...thrift stores! We're exchanging thrift gifts.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
Oh, yeah! Two of our favorite thrifts are on Rapid City, SD, and Belle Fourche, SD, a 900 mile drive. Needless to say, we don't get there a lot.

We always check out thrifts in other towns. We don't usually buy much anymore unless it's an upgrade so we get rid of something similar when we get home, or something we've been looking for.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love our Salvation Army. I furnished half of my home from items I bought there. The furniture is all vintage, and excellent quality! It will probably last me for the rest of my life. I get a lot of clothing there, too. Most of the jeans and pants that I have bought there are excellent quality, and they fit well. I also donate any clothing that I'm not wearing to them.

·
Super Moderator
20,691 Posts
One of our favorite secondhand sources was a gigantic rummage sale held twice a year at an old school 50 miles from here. The sales ran 3 days, with 25% discounts the 2nd day and half off the third. We usually attended all 3 days because our truck would only hold so much. LOL! At the time, we were drastically purging old crappy furniture and upgrading, and also adding more efficient storage. We were picking up former entertainment centers for $10 each, wall cabinets for $2, and other small storage cabinets for $6 or less. Unbelievable. We replaced our chewed up, faded plastic deck box, where we stored bird food, with a diamond plate truck box that will not deteriorate and will resist all critters except bears, $40. Husby bought a like new wood chipper for $125, right after he had decided to buy one a few days before. That sale took up the entire school plus a large area outside, and offered just about anything you could imagine. It was epic. Sadly, they no longer have it, but it was a great resource for us at the time we needed it.

·
Super Moderator
2,258 Posts
we have a rummage sale like that here, once a year. People line up to get in, lol. I go at the end when everything is "make an offer" and then after that it is free. There is also a book sale at the same time and leftover books are free.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts