Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a coughing cold for just short of a month now.
The kind of cough that feel like you are turning your insides out and are going to throw up. I also pee my pants every time I have one of these coughing fits. Which is several times a day.

The doc gave me a codeine based medicine to help alleviate the cough. and an double antibiotic for the sinus infection.

The peeing as gotten worse as the cough as lasted on and on.

Hubby doesn't understand he is a man he is coughing the same but doesn't pee his pants.

My daughter wants to know why I am wearing a diaper.

My best friend informs me that she has four children and it has never happened to her and I should have been doing more kegals daily.

I tell my mom and she laughs and says "I heard that happens but I didn't know it really could happen."

I feel so strange so unladylike, sub human.

I'm so tired for being sick, coughing, and peeing my pants.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh, I am soooo sorry you are going thru this. I am hoping your medicine will kick in fast and you start getting much better very soon!!!

Reactions: imagine

·
27,948 Posts
How long has it been since you've been to the doctor & did you tell him/her all of the problems you have been having? If you haven't you should and depending on how long it's been since you've gone you need to be seen again.
Big hug, hope you get the help you need soon.:smted:

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
It can be tough to dump a cough. I had a couple of doozies when I was in college, borderline bronchitis that lasted months. What I found helped was 1. staying hydrated by sipping water all day. Carry a bottle or cup with you. Yes, you will pee a lot. 2. keeping your mouth closed as much as possible. Don't talk if you can avoid it, let your throat relax. Breathe through your nose. This keeps the throat moist so it is less likely to get irritated. 3. try as hard as you can to not cough. When you feel the irritation coming on hold it back as long as possible, sip some water, and try to cough as little as possible when it happens. Force yourself to choke down those long spasming coughing sessions.

It will take about a week of this, but you CAN take control of it. Your throat needs some time to heal, to be less irritated and less likely to cough.

Reactions: Darlene and imagine

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I am soooo sorry you are going thru this. I am hoping your medicine will kick in fast and you start getting much better very soon!!!
Started the medicine on Dec 9 finished the first bottle of the antihistamine codeine mix on second bottle. Finished the double antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. (((hugs))) Ask your doctor about getting an albuterol-based inhaler.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long has it been since you've been to the doctor & did you tell him/her all of the problems you have been having? If you haven't you should and depending on how long it's been since you've gone you need to be seen again.
Big hug, hope you get the help you need soon.:smted:
Went on Dec 9th. Started the medicine on Dec 9 finished the first bottle of the antihistamine codeine mix on second bottle. Finished the double antibiotics. Mucus now clear.

rest of family started about the same time. They are still coughing a bit.

I wasn't peeing my pants at the time I went. I tends to happen to me after I have had a cough for a while. Last time it happened was two years ago when I got a big cough. It goes away after the cough is cured. Doc says that as long as the peeing goes away that is good. Stress of the cough that is all it is she said.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can be tough to dump a cough. I had a couple of doozies when I was in college, borderline bronchitis that lasted months. What I found helped was 1. staying hydrated by sipping water all day. Carry a bottle or cup with you. Yes, you will pee a lot. 2. keeping your mouth closed as much as possible. Don't talk if you can avoid it, let your throat relax. Breathe through your nose. This keeps the throat moist so it is less likely to get irritated. 3. try as hard as you can to not cough. When you feel the irritation coming on hold it back as long as possible, sip some water, and try to cough as little as possible when it happens. Force yourself to choke down those long spasming coughing sessions.

It will take about a week of this, but you CAN take control of it. Your throat needs some time to heal, to be less irritated and less likely to cough.
Doc says to try calcium tabs (Tums) as that heals throats as acid reflux happens with long coughs. And lots of cold drinks.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. (((hugs))) Ask your doctor about getting an albuterol-based inhaler.
my Lungs were clear and sounded good. So would an albuterol inhaler help? I only know it from my son's asthma.

·
Registered
708 Posts
awwwww.....completely normal.....

'

or at least i hope it is... he he ...my story... i work with wonderful co workers....we are the only room in the school that gets along as well as we do...i mean seriously....we never fight and we all love each other like sisters...so we have what we call afternoons when we all get tired and giddy.....and well lets just say...I have to cross my legs most days because i get laughing so hard that i could pee my pants....I have not done it yet but i have come close....so i have been given the nickname missy pees her pants....but you know what i love them... i just love them so it does not offend me.....
I have had a coughing cold for just short of a month now.
The kind of cough that feel like you are turning your insides out and are going to throw up. I also pee my pants every time I have one of these coughing fits. Which is several times a day.

The doc gave me a codeine based medicine to help alleviate the cough. and an double antibiotic for the sinus infection.

The peeing as gotten worse as the cough as lasted on and on.

Hubby doesn't understand he is a man he is coughing the same but doesn't pee his pants.

My daughter wants to know why I am wearing a diaper.

My best friend informs me that she has four children and it has never happened to her and I should have been doing more kegals daily.

I tell my mom and she laughs and says "I heard that happens but I didn't know it really could happen."

I feel so strange so unladylike, sub human.

I'm so tired for being sick, coughing, and peeing my pants.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I understand 'cause I have a cold and cough and no one is sympathetic and I'm feeling sorry for myself--I miss my husband--he would have taken care of me----

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i understand. let's hear it for stay free maxi pads!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
you poor thing! I hope you get better soon.

i get bronchitis and sinus infections a few times a year. it just plain sucks! you just feel like crap -i can sympathize with that!

i have not peed after coughing, but, one never knows what can happen! lol.

just a thought = have you tried mucinex D? it works well for us here.

use some saline drops in your nose in the AM when you get up and do a great big blow. that helps a bit. i also saline whenever i get home from somewhere where lots of people (germs) are...i do this year round!

feel better

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you poor thing! I hope you get better soon.

i get bronchitis and sinus infections a few times a year. it just plain sucks! you just feel like crap -i can sympathize with that!

i have not peed after coughing, but, one never knows what can happen! lol.

just a thought = have you tried mucinex D? it works well for us here.

use some saline drops in your nose in the AM when you get up and do a great big blow. that helps a bit. i also saline whenever i get home from somewhere where lots of people (germs) are...i do this year round!

feel better
Everyone else in the family is taking Mucinex and sudafed.

Was taking it until doc said to do this other thing. I was draining so fast you could hear it drain. Sounded like snap crackle and pop cereal or the fizz of soda pop. Definitely didn't need to thin it out more LOL

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Those type of coughs use to happen to me all the time. I also would pee. The peeing stopped once the cough was finally cleared up. Took many doses of antibiotics and bottles of coedine cough syrup. After it finally cleared up....about 3 months later, I find out I have COPD. I have to be very careful not to get a cough again and I had my pnumonia shot. So far so good but my lungs are now damaged from those coughs. When you are better, get checked for COPD. Many hugs and best wishes. Been there done that and it isn't fun. :hugz:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hope you get better real soon! Hugs and blessings.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have some experience with this too. When I got bronchitis (In the 5th grade) it all started. Once the cough was gone, the peeing issue stopped. The drs all but came right out and calle d me lazy. Nice, huh? But later as an adult, I explained it when I had a sinus infection related cough, and I was told that it's not too uncommon. I cant remember the exact verbage the dr used. But the jist of it is the same as some ppl peeing a lil when they laugh or sneeze. Maxi pads help.

Good luck. I know its no fun.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Ok, you need to be checked for Asthma. Your son has it and you sound just like me when I was first diagnosed. I'm have mild Asthma and when I have an attack(horrible deep almost gagging coughing) I will sometimes pee my pants. There is nothing to stop this. You cough so hard from your inner core that you push what is there out. Yes it's embarrasing but pee happens. Seriously it's the other you have to worry about. Hasn't happened to me yet but whose to say it won't. I do think Albuterol will help so ask for it. Hugs and prayers.

Cat

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.