Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone
it's been a long time since i posted in the forum, but now i'm back again.
i'm currently working as a secretary (full time job) in a very busy office, my boss is a workaholic. sometimes i have to show up on weekends and holidays as well.
besides doing full time office job, i also do part time work as wedding MC & Singer.
then i also have to prepare for my wedding.

when i am at office, i found myself often getting side tracked with emails or phone calls. causing me to forget what i was doing.

i have been unemployed for 3 years before getting this job. so it feels like starting from zero again. anyone have similar problems? lets help each other.
i create this thread to learn,share and check in often.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN2fa-WyfNI
If you go to YouTube there are many experts in time management. I teach a course in time management and require students to watch several videos of experts' views on best practices for time management.

When I hire new faculty, part of their orientation is helping them manage their time in an academic environment. An academic environment offers lots of choices what to do on any given day. Professors are not closely supervised and have to make choices throughout the day and week what they will do with their time to promote teaching and learning. We have a little rubric that comes in handy and can be applied to any job.

First, write down all your goals for the week (we actually do this for the whole semester.) Then divide each goal into one of four categories: 1. Urgent & Important. 2. Not urgent but important 3. Urgent but not important and 4. Neither urgent nor important. Obviously the urgent and important things are the things we do first. Then we consider the urgent but not important and decide if these are really necessary. We make a time line plan for the not urgent but important so we know when we need to do it and, if we have down time, we get it done before it is due. If something is neither urgent nor important, it probably will become insignificant.

Maybe you can write down all your concerns and share them with your boss in order to set attainable goals and minimize unimportant duties. Can you delegate some of your less important tasks to others?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cpa kim
thank you for the youtube link, ideas & suggestion. i will study it and apply it for my work. will update my progress on this thread

1 - 3 of 3 Posts