Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hard the last few months. Dh is going to school so he isnt around much.Its the slow time of year at work for him so he isnt bringing home any over time. His over time was usualy more than his paycheck. He isnt even working a full 40 hrs. So I would say his income has been less than half for the last six months. The major drop in income is causeing big problems. We can pay our morgage, untilities, and food, nothing else. I havent paid anything on my credit card in months. The phone constantly rings, I dont even answer it anymore. We cant borrow from anybody and I cant get a job becuase of his irregular hours and nobody to help with the kids. I tried to work some but it cost me more then I made. In short we are stuck until summer. In another month or two his work will pick up again and it wont take long before we catch up and hopefully I can start to put money away to tide us over next winter when it slows again.

The reason I think I am depressed is because Im not sad or angry its just that I am doing nothing. I avoid doing anything. I dont answer the phone for anybody, I dont open the mail, I only clean house when it becomes too much. I did not even pay the bills this month. I feel like its pointless so I dont do it. Im like a walking Zombie. I dont neglect the kids or my family and im pretty much my normal self otherwise. Anybody else ever go through something like this?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've never been depressed myself, but my mom went through a hormone-induced depression when she entered menopause. Your behavior sounds a lot like what she was like. There were times when she literally could not physically get off the couch. Her body would not obey her. She had to force herself to even get out of bed and dressed in the morning, and then she'd muddle through the day in zombie-mode. It took over a year for her to get back to feeling normal.

My advice would be to go to your doctor and have bloodwork done to check your hormone levels. But be careful because some doctors like to give out antidepressants without even knowing if you're really depressed, so make sure you know before taking anything for it. I hear some of those drugs can mess you up worse if you take them when you aren't supposed to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just my opinion but I think that you should seek professional help. Depression is debilitating. There is situational depression which medication could help with. If you don't have insurance or your income is low maybe you could get some assistance if you qualify(even if it is just while your income is down until DH's hours pick up again). I wish you well and I will pray for you to have some relief soon.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Have you been to the doctor. He might could prescribe something that would make you feel less depressed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this stuff. Being lonley and broke would be enough to depress anybody. just remember it could always be worse. Think of all the blessings you have in your life like family, your health, and atleast your husband does have a job. Also the school shood pay off down the road. You can get through this. Maybe try doing a hobby to pass the time when your husband is at work like puzzles. I love doing jigsaw puzzles and I also like doing seek and finds and they are enexpencive. You need something to keep you busy to keep your mind off of things. It also helps to have someone to talk to, thats what we are all here for at FV. Hang in there, this to shall pass.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hang in there. I've gone through a depression. It was when me and DH first moved here. He was working shift, we had one car that he had to use to get to and from work, we didn't know anyone and we had no money due to the move and debt. All I did was sleep. Finally DH dragged me out of bed and took me a few places. Things started getting better once I got out of the house. Your local newspaper or town website should have free activities around your area. That'll get you and the kids out of the house. It might help if you can find someone to talk to as well.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I've been depressed, too--- doing only the essentials around the house while things pile up everywhere; getting frustrated with the kids' constant needs, and wanting to do nothing but sleep or play online. It's SO hard to "pull yourself out" of that place, I know. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone to my doctor for meds, because I think they would have helped in my case. I did a lot of praying, and forced myself to get out of the house & do free things, like go to the park or just walk around a store window-shopping. Making the effort to get dressed nicely and go out helped me. I hope you can find peace and that things shape up money-wise for you soon. :hugz:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided to take up gardening. I have a very large yard so space is not a problem. The sun light will do me good and the fresh produce will do us all good. I have been thinking and I think I need more sun and fresh produce becuase right now I get very little of both. Yesterday I ate an entire cantalope for lunch and I felt so good afterward. Today I took a nap in the back yard whild dh took care of kids and it was wonderful.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
oh annk depression is such a hard thing, i wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. i had depression after my son was born & it was awful. please see a doctor, he can prescribe you something so you don't continue to go downhill. good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
oh annk depression is such a hard thing, i wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. i had depression after my son was born & it was awful. please see a doctor, he can prescribe you something so you don't continue to go downhill. good luck!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts