Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:sigh: I’ve been thinking of leaving my husband (again). We’ve been married for 13 years, have 6 kids and 3 grandbabies between us and have a good name in the community. He’s a good provider, doesn’t drink or gamble, isn’t physically abusive. What’s the problem?? He’s just hateful.

When we got married in 1995... He was a single dad with 3 kids and I was a single mom with 3. We both had similar goals for raising kids. Neither one of us liked to party and enjoyed our time with our kids. He was in the military (full time national guardsman) and I had just passed my RN nursing boards. Each one of us could provide a comfortable life for our families on our own… IE: we didn’t “NEED” one another. But, we began to date and after a year, we married.

It became obvious real soon that, although we had some things in common, there were differences that would lead to marital problems. He’s a very strict, ritualistic, organized type of person…. I’m a lenient, laid-back, SHE. When it came to playtime with the kids… I thought fun was a day at the park, watching a video or playing games. He believes working in the garden, yard work or cleaning the barn are fun family time activities. When the work was done, he’d park in front of ESPN and that was that.

Anyhow, we realized that we were having some serious problems and got into marital counseling. He was really into that as long as the focus was on MY faults. When the counselor suggested individual counseling because we EACH had issues we needed to deal with… he decided that counseling was a worthless waste of time. I continued going for individual sessions for 3 more years. In that time, I realized that I couldn’t change him… I could only work on how I handled him.

After awhile his sarcasm, stomping and hollering became too much and I left (in Sept. 2001). By that point, it was just myself and my two youngest (my oldest was living with his father). Found a tiny house in a small community and we were happy. My husband began to email me… then we began to talk on the phone. He assured me that he had been working on his temper and mood swings. That he had been in “counseling” with a local minister that he golfed with. The whole courting thing began again and in Nov 2002... I moved back.

Now we’re back to where we were back then…. Only with more debt. Most of the time its silence except when he needs me to know something right then. We leave notes for each other to tell where we’ve gone, what we need from the store, etc…. when he comes home from work the first thing he does is a sarcastic “hmmm” as he walks through the door. There is no affection or intimacy at all… went nearly a year and he only gave in because I was packing a bag to leave. He has no interest in me at all. We only have one left at home and she’ll go off to college next year. I’ve tried to talk to him about how lonely I feel, but he puts it all back on me… “if you’d lose some weight, if you’d keep the house cleaner, if you’d … yada yada yada”.
Don’t get me wrong, I know I’m not perfect.. I have many faults. But it can’t all be me. When my daughter leaves… I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle not having anyone in my home talking to me. (sounds rather pathetic, doesn’t it?)

Our monthly bills are about $5700.… our monthly income is about $7500. My personal income is $2600 a month average. If I were to leave, I figured my potential bills would be about $3000. (I have no intention of just dumping all the bills on him.. that’s not right) I can easily get a 2nd part time job with a nursing agency or nursing home to bring in the extra I’ll need to make it… but…. Boyhowdie…. It’s gonna be tight.

Cady will be leaving in August…. I have 7 months to decide what I want to do….

Sorry for rambling on… it feels good to get it down somewhere…. Thanks for listening.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
wow~! no advice....just lots of ((hugs))

I'm sure others will have advice, though!

·
Banned
952 Posts
I hope you feel better getting that out. Have you told all this to a councilor? Now, I'm just a 51&1/2 yr old housewife, but it sounds like he's checked out of the marriage. I think you should talk to a professional, and then decide. I applaud you for staying this long for the kids, but I bet they know everything thats gone on. Kids are good like that. I wish you the best and hope you find happiness. really.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That gives you 7 months to save, save, save and get all of your eggs in 1 basket!
(((hugs))) We're here if you need anything!
Mommy

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I think you already know what you want to do, and fortunately you have some time to prepare.

Sorry you're going through all this :hugz:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I agree with Stacey. Sounds like he already has checked out of the marriage. I do not suggest divorce to anyone, however it comes to a point when you have to do what is right for you and what will make you happy. You only live one life....remember that. If you decide to leave ... take nvmommyx6's advice and save as much as you can.

·
27,948 Posts
Wishing you well as you take back your life & find a future bright with possibilities.

You deserve to be happy and loved, you don't have to settle.

Reactions: lovestoread

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My heart goes out to you. Life is too short not to be happy. I know its really not that simple & I've not been in your situation. However, for me the scary part is in making the decision. After that I can focus on making my decision work no matter what. :grouphug: We are here to listen.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
That gives you 7 months to save, save, save and get all of your eggs in 1 basket!
(((hugs))) We're here if you need anything!
Mommy
I agree, use the seven months wisely. Plan. plan, and plan. The get out. YOu deserve to be happy

·
Registered
419 Posts
(((hugs)))

I'll send a prayer your way. The hardest part for me was making the decision. After that, it was what it was and I moved forward a little at a time. Its not always easy, but for me it's significantly better.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. From the way you wrote about the situation, it sounds like you already know what you want to do.

Plan ahead as much as you can and start socking money away. Most areas have agencies that will help women get back on their feet, after leaving a relationship. Many of them require physical abuse in the relationship, but some of them don't! Some of them only require that you are in financial need after leaving a relationship. So, you might be able to find help while you need it to get back on your feet!

I wish you peace in whatever decision you make. You deserve to be happy and you deserve to be with someone who treats you with respect and can make you happy!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Oh wow.

I've been in a marriage like that before. He was controlling, manipulative and very bold about any faults that I had that were visible to him. When I pointed out things about him to him directly, he acted as if I was making everything up.

Well, that marriage is dead and gone. Nothing good came out of it at all. All I got was stress sickness, headaches and the wish that I could somehow get those two years of my life back.

I would suggest moving on. It's already evident that any work on the marriage in the past has done nothing good. There's no sense in trying to make it work when it just isn't ready to be made better. Of course he'll try to patch things up after you leave. However, going back again will only make you feel worse because it's the same old thing again. Your kids are all grown and such, so it would be easy to do it now.

I hope you find happiness in whatever you do. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
:sigh: “if you’d lose some weight, if you’d keep the house cleaner, if you’d … yada yada yada”.
i hate this. I seriously hate this. this is the same thing my dad told my mother through out my entire childhood. why do some men always think everything is your fault? ugg.. . i HATE THAT!!!!! sorry... i just do not like when men make women feel like they are less. you are not, you are a wonderful person from what i have read of your posts! i truly look forward to reading them!

i will keep you in my prayers and remember, you are worth so much more. you DESERVE so much more. keep your head held high.. i know it is hard... but remember your worth it ((HUGS))

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
:hug2: You sound so sad and if I were in a room with you I would hug you until you felt better. Are you still in counseling? It may help you get a sense of yourself and help you to unload some of the baggage you are carrying. Your dh sounds like he is a controlling, manipulating butt head to put it politely and nobody, I mean nobody deserves to be made to feel like they are less than they are by anyone...much less the person who is supposed to be there and love them no matter what.

Many of your dh's habits are things that he can control and by closing himself off from your relationship he is showing that he doesn't place any value on said relationship...IMHO. You only get one life on this planet and at a time in your life when things should be getting easier (kids leaving the nest), you should have your hubby by and on your side. Has he always been like this? Going from lovey dovey to being mean?

I hope things get better for you, the only thing I can suggest is whatever you do, don't make any threats you aren't ready to back up. If you have left before and came back, there is no reason for him not believe that you will continue to come back once he makes all his flowery promises.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Seems you already know what you want to do so the only advice I can give you is to save.

If your bills will be more than you make, is there anyway to get a cheaper place to live since it will only be you? Once a party separates they also separate expenses, that means you pay for you, he pays for himself.

Best of luck and let us know what you "officially decide".

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Well, I have never been married so I have no opinion however I guarantee you your kids knew/know what is happening.
I would agree that regardless of what you decide to do paying off those bills ASAP will be a good idea.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts