Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the estimate in the mail for our new chimney liner. The company we used last year didn't say a word about us needing a new liner, but the guy who did our chimney Monday said if we don't get one, the chimney is not safe to use. The estimate came in the mail today- $1225, $400 due immediately. Needless to say, I have DH calling around to see if we can get somebody else to come out and take a look.

Gees. DH used to build chimneys when he was a teenager- his stepfather is a mason. You'd think he could do something about this!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Sorry that estimate is so high.:eek: Hoping you can find someone to do it for a lot less.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been researching it since I opened the mail- I don't think we are going to get it for any less...and it doesn't seem like most sources recommend any DIY installations.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should add that I am still going to ask my BIl if it is something he can do. He used to build houses with his father, and they must have done this.

·
Registered
916 Posts
And Kimberly, maybe have a second opinion on whether you even *need* a new one. :) Could be this guy's tryin' to drum up some new business. :)

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
wow that was my first thought, drum up business, but then again, maybe it's like CYA medicine, prevention in case of future legal problems due to them not recommending the maximum precautions.

CYA medicine for the non medical people is cover your hiney.

Up here the insurance companies are making everyone get new furnaces, if it's less than 5 yrs old, it's hard to get insurance. Fil is needing to replace his even though it's working fine. They don't even ensure houses with wood heaters unless there are specific inserts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts