Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually look around my house and want to get rid of everything! Well all the knick knacky things that cause me so much more work. Not just out of wanting to simplify or declutter but I'm really tired of everything too. I love my old furniture (a few antiques here and there) but for the most part of the decorations...I'm ready to live in a quick clean environment. Anyone else feel this way at this stage of life?

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
Yep!!! I started last year in fact. I was collecting precious moments and I sold all but a few.I got *so* tired of dusting them,buying them,and just looking at them! I'll always think their cute and I kept a few that were from the kids and a few Steve gave me,but I just no longer had the desire to collect them. And too,my taste have changed. I like older antiques,primitive type things now :)

·
27,948 Posts
Isn't it nice how we are always changing? Well it can drive you bonkers :loop: sometimes but overall I think it's kind of neato.
Hope our hubbys can keep up with all our new selves.:D
One of my favorite parts is being more self assured and content.

Guess you just find some things don't matter as much as they used to and others really do. Kind of a change in perspective. If ya aren't changing & growing I figure that's when we die.

Have fun shaking it up Lisa! Bet you could really get creative with a paintbrush in your hand.:laugh:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I think it comes with age and realizing whats important and what isn't. I use to collect cups and saucers - when I gave most away, it felt so good to not have them to dust and clean again. I kept only a few and those I got from my mom.

I think the simpler, the better and that has come with age!!! Its funny how many of us sort of gravitate towards antique furniture more as we get older. Wonder why that is.

Darlene is so right in that its fun to be changing all the time, and that with most changes as we get older, its towards more simplicity I find.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I feel absolutely the same way. I am so tired of clutter.:) I am slowly paring my knick knacks and clutter collection down. I am not missing any of it either. :)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, I always thought that "old" people were giving away their "stuff" because they were getting ready to die, but the truth is that they are just getting tired of cleaning it, isn't it?! I've had an epiphamy!:eek: :toothy:

Darlene, you are so right........and about that paint brush thing.....:bolt:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Lisa, I agree. Its because were tired of all the cleaning and want to spend our time doing other things, like running in the park with grandkids, climbing mountains we never could before, chasing dh around the corner for a smooch. :toothy:

Just think of the time you can save by not having to dust all those knick knacks!!!

btw - don't be firghtened of that paint brush. Allow it free motion now that your older and not quite as conservative. Its amazing what a paint brush can do in the hands of us "third agers". :D

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D Yeah you're right Cj. I'm actually making baby steps in that bathroom. At this rate it will easily be done by my birthday in March! (just kidding, I'm closing in on it for Thanksgiving....my headache is about gone now, after 3 weeks).

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Think of all the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, YEARS... We've spent cleaning crap we weren't going to want anyway......
Youth is truely wasted on the young......... lol

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Speaking of painting....lol
My spare room has been upside down for 1.5 weeks. The ceiling is partially done, the walls need one more coat and the trim is only primed. (please don't ask why it's like this...I'm bound to increase my blood pressure)

This is what happens when you recruit a "helper". *sigh* I could rant a bit, but will spare everyone. rofl

I'm the type no one should paint with. I am way too much of a perfectionist about it and was practically a mess last week over how things were going with painting this room. I took a deep breath and said ok get a grip...it's only paint and if I hate it....when everyone is gone...I'll repaint. ;)

Gabe knew better than to even enter that room. I warned him he was not allowed to touch a brush. rofl (live and learn from past experiences) muwhaha

[/endtangent]

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
OMG ~ *I'M* a third-ager?!?! Should I be standing?? (standing up...) Hello, my name is Debbie and I'm a third-ager....not sure how I got here, went to bed at 24 and woke up hating all of my stuff....!!"

I gave away a collection of porcelein (anyone have spell-check?!) mallards that I started collecting on my 13th birthday....I had over 200 of those suckers in various and sundry places - all the ones that collected the most dust! It is a very lberating feeling to purge not just my home, but myself, of things that really don't thrill me, just clutter.....

Thanks for making me call attention to how dog-gone old I am Lisa! Thought you were my friend!! ;)

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Deb, wait till you start getting mail for the AARP! I actually had that happen last week:yikes:!

Sara, you don't even need to try to top my bathroom re-do in lenght of time undone......I'm wayyyyyyyy too embarrassed to say and if anyone looks up the post and quotes it on when I said I was starting....I mean it I'm outta here! :bolt:

Making a mental note here Sara....don't ever ask me to paint for ya then if you're that dern picky! I'm a slop, glop kinda painter but I get it done EVENTUALLY......no comment Darlene.

·
TammyBob
6,981 Posts
You know...I hate painting and Steve hates me painting. I go through so many days where I like this color,then I don't,I get really picky about how I want it to look and spend literally days and days talking about how good it's gonna look and can't wait to start.
Then, the big day, and I'm all excited...paint one wall and I'M DONE and wonder why on earth I wanted to paint!! LMAO
Then Steve has to finish and he's saying "I told you,you didn't want to paint,and I knew I would end up finishing it..just like the last time.." :laugh:

heheee I HATE painting!!!:toothy:

·
27,948 Posts
:whistle:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I agree with you all. I've got that "gotta get rid of it" bug too.

I'm even considering paring down my Christmas decorations. I think this year I will only put up the tree in the house and the two wreaths on the shutters out front. I just don't want to have to mess with all the decorating and undecorating. I seem to be the only one who enjoyed it anyway.

If I could get to them today, I might just load all the decorations up and haul them off to the thrift store.:toothy:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Must be something in the water cause I've got the same bug :whirly: I've got to the point that I actually feel like screaming from all the "stuff" everywhere :couch:. The past year I've been throwing stuff out, had a huge yard sale, gave stuff away, and am still decluttering and getting rid of stuff. What on earth did I think I was ever going to do with all this stuff anyway?:ponder: Every little piece that leaves here makes me feel good and less stressed, it'd be nice to just :hocus: and it would all disappear!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know you're right Carolyn and I don't even want to take it with me. Doodlebug has the right idea about making it disapear! I would love that too. (giving it a real try here):hocus:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts