Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dh has a PhD in math. He mostly works as a programmer because he can't stand the politics of teaching in academia. He still finds math colloquia (lectures by visiting professors on random interesting math topics) to attend when he can. Today, he decided to take our 7 yo dd. He gave her his tablet to play on just in case she got bored. Half way through, she handed it back to him. He thought she was REALLY bored. She got a pencil and paper and then proceeded to take notes on the lecture. She was interested in what was being shared even though she didn't understand anything.
:D

·
4,028 Posts
That is totally cool. WTG dd!

Reactions: MissSeetonFan

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My DD is in 5th grade. Since last year she has been scoring in the "above high school range" for mathematics. Seems the tests don't go higher. Last weekend, she talked me into buying her a high school algebra book so she could do something in math class when she gets bored - after she finishes the work she is supposed to be doing. I swear, with this new math hubby (an electronics engineer) and I (I was miserable at algebra) can't even help her. I told her when she gets to trig she is on her own.

But get this ... she has applied to be in the gifted program at her school and we haven't heard back yet (we're 2 months into the school year) - and yes, she could be denied entry into the program.

I'm glad your 7-yr old is into math. Have you looked into getting her piano lessons? The two skills are related.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are some people here in my neighborhood who do music lessons. I will look in to it when we have a job again. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Couldn't help but smile when I read the post. That is great. In high school a fellow high school student took mathematics at the local university. I remember asking him to help me with math. Unfortunately he had trouble since he was so much more advanced.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately he had trouble since he was so much more advanced.
I remember having that exact problem when asking my older brother for help in Algebra. He used the quadratic equation to solve a problem and I was in tears because we hadn't learned that yet. He'd forgotten how to solve the problem without the equation. But we were supposed to do it the way the teacher taught.

I think we learned the quadratic equation about a week later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts