Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the phone. Or am I wrong here? I got a call a few months ago from LL Bean offering me their card because I had ordered something from them this past spring. Then today, I got one from someone supposedly from Bank of America. Do they really think I'm going to give my SS# to someone's who's phone # comes up as Private on my caller ID? Of course, I fended them off by asking if she could beat 4.99% fixed APR (Capitol One is advertising that rate for their Platinum card). Of course, she said no, and that ended that conversation. Uggghhh, this must be their last ditch effort before the Do Not Call list goes into effect.

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
After all we've been told about giving personal info out over the net, phone..etc to expect someone to actually give them there SS#..unbelievable...
It sounds like you handled it well...good for you.
It does make a person wonder if this is really legit !!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think that if you have purchased something from the company in the past, such as you did with LL Bean, then they are allowed to contact you as are any companies who you currently deal with. Since you have an existing relationship with these companies, then they are allowed to call you on the phone even after the Do Not Call List goes into effect. Or that is the way that I perceive it. Also, KY put out a Do Not Call list last year or the year before and it has totally wiped out those annoying phone calls, with the exception of charities. They are allowed to call and not get in trouble - it has something to do with their nonprofit status, I think?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assumed that's why LL Bean called- but I've never done any business with Bank of America (never had any of their cards, applied for them, nothing). It was just out of the blue and I thought they couldn't do that (like they just can't send you a credit card in the mail without your approval like CC companies always used to do).

I brushed her off real quick because a friend of ours got a call one night from XYZ credit card co (Can't remember who they said they were) and if they applied over the phone right then and there, they'd deposit $500.00 into their checking account and they needed to tell them their acct # over the phone in order to get the $$$. So I am very leary of anyone who calls me up looking for any info. I can't believe in this day and age with all the warnings out there- people even waste their time trying to scam others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree. It has gotten so bad that my caller id is screening all my calls. If I don't know the # or there isn't one I let my machine pick up {if I can keep my kids from the phone, don't understand why they love to answer it so much}. If there is no message I guess it wasn't important. My family & friends know they must leave a message if they need to get ahold of me. I know most my family think I am being rude but, alot less headache with out those type of calls.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I, too, use caller id to screen my calls. If it shows up as unavailable, I never answer. I figure if it is actually someone who needs to get in touch with us, they will leave a message and I will call them back.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found if I just let the machine get it- then they pretty much start calling every hour on the hour to make sure I'm good and PO'd when I answer it. When I finally do answer- the phone mysteriously won't ring for days on end. They don't give up.

It's unfortunate that thousands of people will lose their jobs with this Do Not Call List- but geez Louise- get a real job and stop harassing everone on the planet!

·
Registered
260 Posts
We have a messege on our phone that tells people we won't accept calls if their caller # doesn't show up. I don't take ANY phone calls anymore. The kids do answer but they have a pretty good idea who I will talk to. It's a GREAT stress buster,and I don't care who thinks I'm rude any more. Bill collecters and other companies, can send me mail and most of my family can reach us on-line,so no problem.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts