Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and bought a "pay as you go cell phone yesterday. I didn't own a cell phone before, to me they aren't really in my budget, but with the way things are in the family right now I thought I should get one so I can be reached when I am out and about. *sigh*

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I bought DH one for Christmas. It is a very economical choice for us, since he only uses it 30 minutes or less a month. No bills, no contracts.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have one of those prepaid cell phones and have been well pleased with it. I only have to load $25 every 90 days.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I have one too and I love it, $10 a month isnt that bad and it fits into our budget but I think as a mom I need it for emergencies.

·
8,714 Posts
~I took the plunge in December after some guy followed my sis home. She didn't have a cell phone to dial for help. She drove to a nearby relative's house and nothing happened but it was scary. So we both got cell-phones. I paid $20 for my phone and $20 every 3 months($6.67 month) to top-up minutes. Definately worth it!~

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've used pre-paid for about 5 years and love it...It's just comforting to know you can be reached, or can reach someone if you need too...and its very economical for that peace of mind.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i like mine too. works for me and our budget

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My Fiance and I both have prepaid trac phones. he calls me from work to see whta the weather is and when its bad my ds takes mine to work with him so he can call if he gets stranded
They are great. my sister just got one because her car keeps breaking down and she needs it to call for help.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
We got a tracfone when the boys started driving about 5 years ago. Then I got one. I just got a new one with T-mobile. It's the same price as the tracfone, but 4 times the minutes.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I bought one when I moved to the city. It's $10 for 10 minutes. My intention was to have it onhand incase of an emergency. For about the past four months it's been sitting in my bedroom, plugged in, no phone minutes on it whatsoever, and the alarm on it goes off at 7:30 p.m. every day to remind me to take my meds. So in essence it's a $100 alarm clock. :bang:

·
Registered
579 Posts
My sister has a pay as you go plan and find it works well for her. When my contract is up, I may explore that alternative.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have one........ my #3 son got it for me....... Its the gold package so the minutes are good for a year........ 25.00 lasts me about 5 months......... With my health The kids try to keep track of me...........
Fern

·
Registered
254 Posts
DH has one...it's the only way I can contact him while he's at work so I'm really glad he has it in case of emergency (or even to know if he's going to be late so I don't worry! :) )

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I have not regretted switching to pre-paid/pay as you go for a cell phone. I know exactly how much it costs per month and when it will cut off etc. I use it mainly for texting people to keep in touch when out b/c for me, sending text msg's are free.

It has a national walkie talkie feature which I do use with both my sis and dad the ones I talk with the most when out. Im always taking my dad to do something with my sis. I use it to phone people if Im meeting them and its past the meeting time and any other necessary calls - directions to places, confirmations and to be reached in case of emergencies. I will not put an answering machine on it for an extra $5/month b/c people know to keep calling until I answer or call them back from a landline or wait for me to call them after work. If its a 'hey hows it going' kinda casual thing, they'll just email me instead.

Its worked out great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts