Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Nope, not frugal at all but the best way for me to go.

I buy new......when I buy. Research for price, mileage and what I want in a car and THEN I look at resale value.....just about in that order too. I keep my cars so long that the resale value becomes a moot point. But I know that I have taken care of it.

I don't care what the car looks like AT ALL.......but I do care that it will run, get me there without breaking down. I don't have a mechanic to check things out before buying used or I certainly would and not sure I would trust some of the places that 'say' they will inspect a car.

I have wanted a USED pu for two years......and haven't bought one yet. I shop off and on........not on the lots yet as I am not ready for the hard sell.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Good article. I don't plan on buying a brand spanking new car ever again. And this will be a first for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good read. I've had such good luck with the used cars I buy, buying new just doesn't make sense to me. I'm a commitment phobe anyway... don't want any payments of any kind.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Did anyone notice the comments following the article? Many didn't like the buy used, not new view. I honestly thought the article had a lot more to say than that (like do the math & get the most for your money). I was a little surprised by the figures for the 5 year maintenances ($5900 for one). Seems like there is a lot to consider when buying a new/newer car than just color. Guess, that's one of the reasons I keep driving my beater... too much hassle involved in buying a replacement!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Quite an eye-opener. We went with the 5 year old used car option when we bought mine and we used cash.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Interesting article.

I used to buy new cars every couple of years until I realized how much money I was throwing away. Now that I am "smarter" I keep them longer and maintain them better.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
i buy new and drive it til the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
My current car I bought new at $25,000 then paid $10,000 in interest:furious:...yep stupid, stupid, stupid:shame:....anyway now that I am older and wiser I will never buy new again..never, never, never

·
Registered
616 Posts
A lot of the cost of owning a new car is attributed to depreciation. Doesn't mean anything unless you sell the car. I bought my current car, brand new, in 1999. I have taken excellent care of it and it has served me well. I definitely have gotten my money's worth out of it. I plan to drive it for a few more years.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just want a car that runs. Consistantly. For more than 30 days at a time. Is that SO much to ask?

June - New Harmonic Balancer, Belt Tensioner (& belt) $670
July - New Fuel Pump, & brake caliper, oh and 2 tows $750
Yesterday/Today - 1 Tow, New Timing Chain $962

Total: $2,332

BUT....whatever. This had better be it for awhile, though.

·
4,028 Posts
Like I keep telling Greebo: "If you can pay cash for it... go negotiate!"

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I brought a new car the first for me. I paid cash. I have a six year warnenty it covers everything. No charge to fix it. Because i was paying cash. I got 8000 off. It was a good deal,
Fern

1 - 16 of 16 Posts