Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now we owe comcast like $500. DH worked out a plan with them to pay $219 this week, and the rest in two weeks. I thought great, we can still keep our cable.

Then I wrote it down on paper.

This week: Comcast
Next week: Double Car Payment (DH's pay is JUST enough for this but he is banking on yard sale money to pay for extras)
Following week: Comcast again
Week After: Car insurance and car payment. (DHs pay is not enough to cover both, close but not enough. He says again, yard sale money)

My problem with this is, he is not thinking about gas, food, and my dad is going to give us a few weeks without having to give him money but not more than a month. DHs car inspection is also due by the end of June and its free for the inspection but what if something is wrong? He says the car is in great shape and it will be fine, but what if its not??

I say we just cancel comcast and go to Radio shack and get a converter box and watch local TV, and movies and go to Cricket and get a broadband plan for $40 a month for internet. Thats saving us like over $100 a month. And it would be a lot more do-able. When we get caught up and everything then yes, we can get the cable back on...but right now I just feel like its going to be to much.

DH is really mad at me about this and said well what do you want me to do. We only have my income!!!! Well, I know that. I am trying. It kind of hurt my feelings but, idk.

I mean all we do it watch TV and go on the internet. Its our only form of entertainment and I think DH is worried about loosing that, but we are moving back home to try our best to save money.

What should I do?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would get rid of cable. I actually would have cut it a long time ago. I understand that it is entertainment, but that is a lot of money when you are struggling.

Why can't you borrow movies from the library? It's free and you don't need a box from the cable company.

·
Registered
708 Posts
We got rid of satellite...sort off...

We have dish network and signed a contract for 2 years... ugh!...anyhow..dh and i both agree that there is nothing on satellite and wanted to drop the satellite, however i have a contract committing me to the two year contract and if a drop it there is a pretty high fee i would have to pay. I called dishnetwork and they have a welcome package that they offer for $10 a month and included are around 15 channels...we do watch these channels and when there is nothing on... we watch movies instantly on netflix. When our two year contract is up... we plan on getting rid of it completely....because there are also other programs out there than can be watched on internet television....:hat::poop:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
agree. ditch it until things look up. libraries have whole tv seasons you can take out! you can even take out whole seasons of the sopranos (one of our faves...lol).

whole series alone will provide plenty of evening entertainment...right? good luck

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree with you all but how can I get DH to see it?? My dad has over 2000 DVDs at his house we can watch.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DH needs a cell phone. He does not have on and he drives far to work and its been a problem lately with him getting in contact with me when he is gonna be late or if we have to go somewhere and he cant because he is gonna be there longer. Anyway--he can get a phone with the internet and unlimited everything at cricket for $80!! And then $35 a month their after. What the heck do we need to pay comcast for them for the internet??

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
You're moving soon... just call the cable co. and cancel. If he says anything... you are moving, you owe them money too, so why keep it going?

Pay the car first... you will need that.

You can't count the yard sale as money... because you don't have it - period. You MAY get money from sales, but you can't spend what you don't have in your hand.

You owe money to a lot of people... you can't rob Peter to pay Paul... and you can't avoid the landlord, the electric company and whomever else...and keep a 'luxury' such as cable.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Does he really need the internet on his phone? We have a basic cell phone from Consumer Cellular, and it's $25.00/month.

·
Registered
867 Posts
With your situation, I would be as basic as possible on everything. Phone, cable, cells. Question all monthly bills and purchases. Your goal is to get current and get out of your dad's place. Use that to fuel your new found frugality. :vibes:

·
Registered
984 Posts
We have cable internet and house phone all through the cable company for 99.99 a month for another year . We all (except my older daughter) LOVE tv . We love internet to but I cant imagine not being able to watch tv. What I started doing about two years ago was asking for the shows we really love on dvd for gifts whenever someone asks me what I would like for my bday or Christmas . DH started doing this as well and I know at least we have alot of our favorite shows on dvd if I had to cancel cable. Lord knows it could happen. We have alot of movies but they are mostly stuff of the kids. DH and I arent real big on movies , we prefer television so thats what I concentrated on. I get all my books from the library now and noticed they have a fantastic selection of movies and tv shows there as well for FREE. Cant beat that with a stick so maybe you can check that out as well. I hope things start looking up for you guys soon!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
If you're going to get a cell phone for DH - I'd suggest going with pre-paid and no plan. His phone is for important calls only not 'hi, whats for dinner?' type calls etc. The only downfall is a plan will let you run up a huge bill you won't be able to pay and will not let you know. A pre-paid phone will just cut you off, end of story. It forces you to learn how to use the minutes wisely. I've gone pre-paid and never looked back. I too had to learn how to use my minutes wisely but it was sooo worth it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well, the nice thing about the Cricket plan is that it's unlimited everything, so no running up a huge bill. My dbf uses Cricket.

What about cutting the cable and just keeping the cheapest internet (for TV shows, job hunting, etc.) & getting your DH a pre-paid phone? I don't know how that would work out vs. the Cricket plan for your DH.

As far as your DH being upset about losing cable... I think you just need to do it and he will eventually see that it's not so bad. I haven't had cable in forever, but I do watch shows on the internet. In your situation, you can't afford $100+ for TV right now.

Good luck.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hulu.

I've been busy recreating my misspent youth watching Hulu lately. :)

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
What Lady_V Said.

I love Fancast and Hulu.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
People went for years w/o cell phones. It can be done if it comes right down to it. Inconvenient, sure, but not impossible.

Cable is definitely a luxury item that you can't pay for right now, so I'd definitely get rid of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's no fun...but get rid of cable if you can't afford it

I had my Cable/Internet/Phone bundle disconnected due to lack of payment. I thought I was going to die, it was like cutting off a limb for me. (I'm unemployed and broke!!)

My friend loaned me their digital converter box, I get about 8 channels....abc, nbc, cbc, fox, cw, 2 public television channels and 2 random channels (This..an My 48 of which I never heard of before). It was very difficult at first not having my regular cable channels....but I've adjusted.

As for internet, I bought a wi-fi adapter ($35 at radio shack), so now I'm scanning the airwaves for signals for the internet and it works great for free! I also now watch A LOT of my cable shows on the internet, so it's not bad at all. You'd be amazed of what you can find on YouTube if you can't find the shows on their cable websites.

Instead of having the landline, I know have Boost Mobile, $50 unlimited everything....perfect!!

So it hasn't been bad and I now save about $90 a month. I"ve learned to adjust and if there isn't anything on t.v....I read, which I now love! I also check out DVD's from the library as well...or go to the Red Box for $1. There are so many ways ways to streamline whether it's by choice or you just plain can pay for it anymore...which was my case. I still owe the cable company $400, but am slowing paying them off.

Good luck!! Keep it simple...I didn't think I would survive with my cable & DVR but I have managed...I miss it terribly, but I can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ditch the cable. My dh and I haven't had it for 3 years and has save over $60 a month. At first he was aganist canceling cable but I convinced him how much we could save. I admit it is hard but when I think of how much I'm saving each year by not paying for cable it makes me feel better. Besides not having TV will sometimes make you more creative in finding things to do. We subscribe to Netflix and for $25 a month we have 4 movies at a time, though I'm thinking about reducing that to 3 at a time to save a little more.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts