Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am really interested in learning how to sew so that I can make things for my house, like curtains and pillows and stuff like that. I don't currently have a machine and am not sure what kind I should get. I must add that I have never, ever used a machine before so I am not sure what to look for. Should I take a sewing class as well? What do you recommend? TIA!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I recommended a simple Singer. Don't buy an off brand, it will only frustrate you.

Watch videos on U-Tube. Seriously, it's how i learned. Start with a simple project like a curtain. Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I too recommend a very simple, basic model. UTube is fantastic information source and will show you all the basics. If you have a place were you can get lessons for a reasonable price, I would suggest it for more difficult projects. Have fun! :)

Reactions: sjohnson3278

·
8,714 Posts
~Great advice ladies!
My parents bought a super basic machine(straight and zig-zag stitches only)when I started as a preteen. It's the same machine I use now nearly 20 years later. It's a Brother.
I didn't take classes. I just read library books and learned by sewing from easy project books and patterns.
Can you borrow someone else's machine to see if you like sewing before buying your own machine?~

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
See if a friend will let you use their machine........or help you with a small, easy project..........to see if you like it.

Buy basic to begin with.........many listed on CL.......and if you have Jo Ann's.........they have some decent sales. Especially at this time of year.

Lots of other threads in sewing forum about machines and what to look for..........read those too.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I too suggest a simple Singer. They make many wonderful beginning books out there. Just look around at the store or online and see what appeals to your learning style. Mine is by Simplicity and it really helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.