Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol

ok i had read where you can boil the chicken carcass and get a good broth and some hidden chicken meat...didnt believe it

well..i broiled some chicken for chicken n dumplins soup...saved about a piece n a half..

took 2 leg quarters out and 2 thighs broiled for a chicken pot pie

took the remaining mess and broth..placed in the crock pot over night and all day..

took the mess out..and was surprised to find enough meat to do another soup, i added one can of mix veggies, big handful of the small short flat egg noddles, 3 chicken boulion, basil, chicken gravy packet and 1 can of cream o chicken..YUMMY!!

hubby is chickened out..so he had bratwurst

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sometimes you can find chicken necks for 25 cents a pound - they make great broth. The crockpot is the best - far less scum to skim. And don't forget your turkey carcass - turkey broth is just as versatile. I add big chunks of carrot, onion, celery, some peppercorns, a couple of bay leaves and let it go. Strain and discard all the veggies. Ladle the clear broth into bags or boxes in 1 or 2 cup measures, or more if that's how you usually use it and freeze. I do not add salt, so that I can better control our sodium esp. hubby who is on very very low sodium regimen.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I think that's one of my favorite things I learned here at FV. And it works great with turkey too. Every now and again I have to remind the hubby not to throw out the carcass.

My favorite way to do this is just throw the chicken in the crockpot and let it cook all day. Then I debone the chicken and put the bones back in the crockpot and add some water and let it cook some more. So incredibly easy! Can't imagine paying extra to buy broth now. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
After I have picked the carcass to death (no pun) I take the bones and toss in the skins of different veggies I put in the freezer and make a broth. No point wasting the skins!!!

Reactions: sahm2boys

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes..it's actually the bones that give the broth that awesome flavor. ~

I'm getting to the point I don't like boneless breasts grilled plain...they have no flavor anymore.

As with any meat cut....the bones are what gives the most flavorfull broth.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Sort of on the same lines of thinking... I save all my "broth" from the crockpot (used to cook various types of meat) & freeze it for pasta dishes. Add 1/4 of a can cream soup, along w/enough water to cook the pasta. The flavor is amazing! Much healthier than those flavored noodle packets I use to buy & the "flavoring" is free. I got the idea from FV when I started use my crockpot & adjusted it for pasta. Its cool to use something that I would have tossed out for another meal!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
How do you store your broth once cooked?

We pour into small yogurt containers and freeze. Once frozen, we pop them out of the containers into the giant freezer bags. Wash and reuse the containers, which we also use for refried beans and guacamole.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i am w/ crazy...dont really do bnls sknls brst anymore. no flavor no matter what or how you marinate them...just bland and not that good. give me a skin on brst in chix brst any day!!!

i love to take home the turkey carcass on thnksgvng. the next morning i take skin off and throw in a large pot on the stove and simmer away w/ onions, celery leaves and lots of garlic. then, late in the day, i skim off whatever fat i can get at. then let cool and refrigerate over night, the next AM, skim again. then pick off meat. strain. dice up celery, oions, carrots and a bit of leftover mshd taters and simmer for awhile. boil some egg noodles. then, the best is to put a dollop of stfng in the bottom of a bowl, add some egg noodles, ladle soup and you have an awesome saturday afternoon lunch, early dinner. yum!

oh, i usually add a can of dicded tomates to warm also.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How do you store your broth once cooked?

We pour into small yogurt containers and freeze. Once frozen, we pop them out of the containers into the giant freezer bags. Wash and reuse the containers, which we also use for refried beans and guacamole.
I basically do the same thing. Once broth has cooled, I pour into small (1-2 cup) containers & freeze. Sometimes, I'll leave it in the containers, but often pop them out & put into freeze bags. I usually have only a small amount of broth left in the crockpot since I add very little water (a cup or so). I use them straight from the freezer since I never remember to thaw.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
ok. this post made me do it! made a whole chix in the Cp yesterday. today, i sliced off the rest of the meat. saved the carcass and the wing tips. put in an onion, some garlic, some bay leaves, celery leaves and a carrot and water. started it on high in the CP for an hour. then turned to LOW for about 6 hrs. smelled just divine!!! turned it off and took of lid. added some salt and pepper. let cool. strained solids out. now it is in the frig overnight so that i can skim off the fat gunky junk. smells wonderful - did i mention that? hoping it tastes as good!

i am thinking of freezing some in ice cube trays. and then some just in small tubs of some sort. how long will they last in the freezer???

thanks for starting this post! it got me to do it too!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I keep my broth up to 6 months maybe. Sometimes I "forget" to date it, but I use it pretty often. It would probably last longer though.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
WTG everybody!! I use the fat & bones. All in the roaster, simmer all day. Cool, pick meat off, strain, put in frig overnight, skim off fat, & pkg & put in freezer. I don't put vegetables in my broth. I use it for noodles, might be to veggie taste for me. I've got pork roast bone & fat in the freezer to simmer, when I have time. HM broth~~ the best ever!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.