Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jenee, our new foster. She came through the Northern Chesapeake Sheltie Rescue but is clearly NOT a sheltie. They mentioned a mix of collie and golden but I don't see those in her either. lol

She is sweet, lovable, shy, playful and around 10 years old. Her background was living with a homeless Veteran in a car for 2-3 years and when he found a home he couldn't take the dog. So Jenee was adopted by another Veteran. He did some good training with her and she is so easy to be around. After 6 years, he had to give her back up for adoption as his health no longer permits him to keep her or the other sheltie he owned.

So we now have her. She has never been around cats and has given chase to Caesar already so he is very leery of her right now. Allwynn walks by and watches her from a close distance but I've limited their interactions so far.

If she does well with the cats, we can offer her a permanent home.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Her nose is Shepherd-ish if you ask me.

Adorable!

Reactions: Sumacaroni

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Keep her away from the swords. She isn't trained yet.

(Yes, those are swords in the background)

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She certainly likes to unstuff the stuffed toys. When ever Cleo would let go of her toy, Jenee would claim it and take it to her corner... she stockpiled 3 of them within 10 mins. LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
She's so cute. She looks like a miniature blond German Shepherd Dog. Kudos to you for adopting an older dog. When my current pack is gone, I would like to provide a home for elderly dogs in their golden years. However, I am concerned about the increased medical care costs associated with elder care in dogs. Does the rescue group you work with continue to provide support as long as you're functioning as a foster or does that responsibility fall to you when you make the placement permanent? Just curious how that works.

·
Registered
329 Posts
She is adorable, we had to stop fostering last year, :( My blue is just getting to old and cranky around anyone or thing that he does not consider his :( but I guess he has earned that right, and after he leaves we will start again. She is sooo darn cute.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
How big is she?? She's gorgeous, and looks a lot like my mutt who I suspect is golden and some sort of collie (she has pointed, but floppy ears)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
She's about the same size as our goober, Lacy. Slightly taller and heavier but not much.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
aww she is a beauty and gosh knows she deserves the rest of her life with 1 loving family hopefully she will be ok with cats. hugs ceashels and greebo love is what makes the world go round.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
awwww so pretty !!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Beautiful dog!!! Hope she gets used to the cats. My cat finally stood up to the dog I had by swatting him on the head a couple of times. Fortunately the dog only wanted to play which the cat was to confused to why the dog was chasing her.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
What a cutie. Unusual and pretty color too.

When you foster do you get to pick who the dog will go to or does someone from the 'foster group'?

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does the rescue group you work with continue to provide support as long as you're functioning as a foster or does that responsibility fall to you when you make the placement permanent? Just curious how that works.

As long as we foster the medical bills can be reimbursed to us by the Rescue. Her vet appt yesterday cost over $500 because she has some medical issues that needed to be treated. If we decide to keep her permanently then we expect to take over the medical costs associated with her.

At the Sheltie Rescue, there is no associated fee with adopting a senior dog but younger dogs do cost a few hundred dollars. Lacy cost us $250 at the time to help cover her vet bills and help other dogs have their medical needs met. (Some of the dogs found are in such poor shape that extensive wound care is needed.)

There have been so many dogs come through the rescue this past month that the director is just glad that we can take her. They currently have 5 Shelties in their home one of which is a puppy mill dog who won't let anyone touch her.

Frugalfanny said:
When you foster do you get to pick who the dog will go to or does someone from the 'foster group'?
The director has the decision of where to place the foster dogs. There are quite a few Sheltie homes that do foster short term and are a close knit bunch of great people. There is typically a home visit as well but since she knows us already she doesn't need to visit again. When Precious came through the Rescue several years ago, she called us since we had so few steps and a fenced in yard. For some of these dogs, that is a requirement.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Wow, she is so beautiful and adorable at the same time. My son saw her and was asking who's dog she is because he thinks she's so cute!
I definitely see golden and collie. She looks like a collie in shape but her fur looks just like this goldie that comes in to visit the nursing home where I work at.
Congrats on your new baby!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is my mutt, who I got through a foster with our local H Human Society. She is golden and ??? Truly, the most fabulous dog I have ever had. Well behaved, gentle and a perfect companion.....I hit the lottery when I found her :paw:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts