Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started trying a new system for my leftovers.

Even when I only have just a bit, I like to freeze the leftover(s) in ice cube trays then transfer to a ziploc bag(s) I keep in the freezer. My plan is to write down what I put into these bags, a running list on my fridge or otherwise.

Incorporating the frozen cubes into new recipes I am already making, I will be able to use up the leftovers. For example, if I am making Spaghetti, and I have 4 cubes leftover Goulash(macaroni) in the freezer, I could add this to the sauce , or if I am making chili or vegtable soup, I could add the cubes.

By having cubes, you are seperating the leftovers so everything doesnt get dumped into a pile in a container in the freezer. Instead of one frozen chunk, you have all these small little individual cubes that thaw quicker and more versatile to incorporate into many recipes you already have on your menu plan.

I also use the icecube Idea to freeze Vegtable broth, beef broth, yogurt starters. Each cube is aprox 2 Tablespoons too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is a great idea! Thank you for sharing it. I'm not big on left overs but like trying new recipes and this adds lots of possibilities.:lip:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i got into putting tomatoe juice, spagetti sauce into my plastic throw away water bottles fill 3/4 full and freeze.. then when i need it i thaw and put in my chili or such

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
i have these plastic trays shaped like TV dinner trays with 3 spots 1 large 2 smaller - i tend to put leftovers ( when we have them ) into these and eventaully we end up with 3 course little meals to make on busy days by tosing them into a microwave .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts