Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice, Ice, Baby: A fad is born

You might think it?d be a cold day in that infernal afterworld before ice?rather, chewing ice?joined Kobe beef, foie gras, truffles, and other delicacies as a food fad. But that?s what has happened, according to ?Chew This Over: Munchable Ice Sells Like Hot Cakes,? in the January 30, 2008, edition of The Wall Street Journal. Many fast-food restaurants, reports Ilan Brat, sell cups of ice to all those frozen-water eaters out there. A 32-ounce cup of the cold stuff will cost you 25 cents at a Taco Time near Seattle, for instance. The story also notes that sales of machines that make easy-chewing ice climbed about 23 percent from 2003 to 2006. Still, that?s only 16,673 total units, far less than the millions of refrigerators and freezers sold each year in the United States. But you don?t need a pricey separate machine to make your own ?chewable? ice if you?ve got a fridge with a through-the-door ice dispenser. Most side-by-side refrigerators offer a crushed-ice dispenser, and some French-door models with ice dispensers also offer crushed ice. To get pieces that are a good chewing consistency, fill your cup with crushed ice, add some water to soften it, then chew away. Drink the water you add or drain it away?your choice. Remember, chewing ice can harm your teeth, according to the American Dental Association. (Note: The cubes shown here would not be considered quintessential chewing ice along the lines of the Chewblet, Nugget Ice, and Pearl Ice "varietals" cited in the WSJ article.) Essential information: Read about refrigerators and freezers to find the best appliances for your home. And if you want to have some soda with your ice, read our report on home soda makers. For more on chewing ice, check out the Ice Chewers Bulletin Board.?Steven H. Saltzman

·
27,948 Posts
People are wierd. I don't know what else to say, lol.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
This is considered a new fad? :laugh: Ok Darlene, I'll admit it, I'm weird but I've been chewing ice all my life....I just can't help myself. (my poor teeth:( ) I thought everyone did it......:lol: (everyone does here, but maybe it has to do with it being so derned hot during the summer...which is when I mostly chomp on it myself)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I spent thousand upon thousand of $'s on my girls teeth (braces). If I heard them munching on ice or hard candy...well, let's just say I wasn't kind! Really bad on teeth..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts