Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Doctors show just showed an alternative to using ice or frozen vegetables as a ice pack. Pour some dish soap into a ziplock bag and freeze. Use when needed. Supposedly it stays frozen longer and molds to the shape of your body.

·
4,028 Posts
That's brilliant! I'll need to see if it works.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting! Is it straight dishsoap in the baggie> if yes, wouldn't that be costly?

Frozen juice boxes and single serving yogurts have been great for us.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its just the soap that you put into the bag. It would probably be costly in the beginning. If you keep it double bagged and don't damage it then it might be worth it for using on injuries and whatnot.

Interesting! Is it straight dishsoap in the baggie> if yes, wouldn't that be costly?

Frozen juice boxes and single serving yogurts have been great for us.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I don't know about soap, but I banged the heck out of my big toe a while back and our old ice bag sort of crumbled when DH grabbed it. He'd heard something about this, grabbed an unopened bag of peas, and I used that. It was wonderful! (We had peas for lunch the next day -- I didn't have to mash anything up against my body, just draping the cold veggies over my toe was enough!)

Judi

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 water in a ziploc bag works too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Very interesting. I would want some more info on making it.....like how much soap.........and do you put any water with it?

I have a good supply of the gel packs that I get from a friend as she gets meds. mailed to her in a cooler. She would just waste/toss them so I take them..........give a LOT away on CL. But just kills me to see them wasted when people BUY THEM at the dollar store or other places.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video Library
If that doesn't work then click on episodes, this week, ask our doctors (january 4), show synopsis, scroll down and the link for the ice packs will be near the bottom. It will show you what I saw.

·
4,028 Posts
nice, I"m glad they showed a frozen one. That would work well and a bottle of dish soap from the dollar store would keep it cost effective. I liked when he commented about kids thinking it could be an ice pop LOL.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
nice, I"m glad they showed a frozen one. That would work well and a bottle of dish soap from the dollar store would keep it cost effective. I liked when he commented about kids thinking it could be an ice pop LOL.
This is what I was thinking. The dollar store soap would be great.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for sharing these great ideas!! Very usefull!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Thanks...an ice pack on my head when I get a headache works wonders.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Interesting ideas... I might try the rubbing alcohol and water one since it will be cheaper than dish soap for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts