Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I could use some of your brilliant minds to help me organise my sisters Baby shower this week end....

There are only 12 people comming and I don't want to go over board with the food (have a tendancy to always make too much) on the other hand I don't want there to not be enough.

My thoughts were that I would make a batch of scones (with jam and cream, a strawberry and cream sponge cake and a cheese a craker tray. and some sausage rolls.

It is a morning shin dig so I will just put on Morning tea and then every one will go home for lunch, do you think that this is enough variety?

I have bought a heaps of jelly babies and a canister to put them into and will have a guess how many jelloy bables are in the jar game.

My suister baby was born a few weeks ago (10 weeks early) so he couldn't quite wait until after the shower, he is locked up in intensive care so most of the people comming haven't been able to see him yet (only immediate family allowed in - and only 2 at a time) so my sister has been taking some video that we are going to show.

She has been very busy lately running too and from the hospital and recovering from her emergency c section, so I don't want the morning to be too full of games etc, I just thought that it would be nice for her to sit for a couple of hours and catch up with her friends, before the baby is out of hospital and she is flat out getting any sleep.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have never had a morning shower, but it sounds great the food you've picked out. You are a great sister getting this all together. Good luck and have fun! Congratulations on the new little one.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been to a morning shower either, perhapse it isn't really the done thing,

My thinking was that given she is at the hospital a lot I don't think that she wants a lot of excitement, also that if I had it in the afternoon I would need to put on more food and probably drinks (alcohol).

I figured that this way it would be nice and relaxed and not too expensive.

people are comming, so obviously the morning thing didn't turnm them off too much.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i think a morning shower is smart people are more likely to be on time and be available.JMO i think a fresh fruit salad and possibly scrambled eggs sort of brunchy. and coffee of course

Reactions: missmanny

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
I would go with brunch, coffee cakes, fruit, maybe muffins or bagels. I would probably do a single drink such as mimosas or bloody mary's to make it festive. Nice way to change up the same old routine for a shower! Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The morning sounds fine. I would probably go more with brunch food. Scones, some fruit salad, scrambled eggs, maybe some sausage sounds like enough. Even a pancake buffet. Just have a whole bunch of different toppings for people to put on the pancakes. Fruit, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, strawberry jam, syrup. You can have tea or coffee. If you want something special to drink there are non alcoholic choices you can make. Don't forget it is in the morning people may not be expecting to drink.

Have a good time.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, will do some thinking today about some non alcoholic drinks, I thought that I might have one bottle of sparkling wine in case any one was feeling particularly festive, Don't think that we know any people who would care to have a drink at 10:30 though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and the fruit platter, that is a FANTASTIC idea!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, we had the shower over the week end and every one had a great time.

I ended up making scones, baking a cake, cooking up some non spicey buffalo wings and home made sausage rolls, and I had a bowl of strawberries.

I did buy some sparking wine and soft drinks but every one pretty much drank tea and coffee.

All up a spent $45 dollars.

We had a lovely morning and the video was the highlight.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went to a morning shower last weekend. They had:
Coffee
Water
lemonade
cinnamon rolls
veggie tray
bowl of strawberries
and some kind of fruit bread

It was more than enough.
We didn't play any games, we just sat around and visited while eating then opened gifts and visited some more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Your idea seems perfect, not so hectic not so boring, you can add some starter in your party food, for more recipe ideas search it on net, their you will some great yet easy recipe ideas.

Regards,
sarah_9

Easy Event Planner

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I think you have some great ideas! Sounds more of a laid back, just enjoy the company type of shower which I love. I think your food choices are well made and will be plenty enough seeing most people will have already eaten breakfast. Have a great time! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts