Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to start an embroidery/sewing business ever since my DH was diagnosed with MS. Its not been doing big sells but I sell something a few times a month. Right now I've just been doing the local Farmer's Market which cost $8 for the entire season to set up. I've been averaging $30 to $50 a weekend but that's including some baked items and rabbits I've sold too.

Well, I've been approached by a few people to do some shows and I want to do them but would like to come up with some items geared away from babies. It was suggested that I come up with more items in the $5 range. Any suggestions????

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Ok, here are my ideas as far as strictly sewing/embroidery goes:

*scrunchies for younger girls (maybe with cool fabrics)
*hand bags (I made these for years and did well with them)
*go green grocery totes (these are super popular right now, and not too tough to make)

*custom order embroidered signs: Here is what I am thinking, embroider names, dates, etc. (like for a wedding/housewarming gift) You could do something like:
The Smith's
Est. 2008
Embrioder it on a nice fabric, then put it into a frame
You could do it for new homes, weddings & new babies

*Raggedy ann dolls are still huge. Super easy to make too. I made one for my best friend's baby shower when she had her daughter. I walked away with 3 orders for dolls. For me it is a hobby and so I sell them for $20, enough to cover the cost of materials, then some and I still make some money off of them. And if you look online, they are really pricey...like $120!

*grocery bag holders - I'm sure you've seen these, they have drawstrings at both ends of the tubes.

*Picnic totes - They almost look like a gardening bag, with lots of pockets on the outside for utensils, etc. then the bag is big enough for the plates, cups, etc.

Ok. For now, that is all I can think of. I'll have to go back through some of my craft albums and see if I can find anything else for you!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was thinking hair scrunchies and grocery totes also.

Reactions: cmdarlin

·
8,714 Posts
~I was thinking maybe themed totes for kids activities. You could sew a very simple tote in a range of colors and embroider dance shoes, sports items, ect., on the front. They would use them to haul their accessessories to and from class/practice. If you add an exterior pocket and some glitter paint your items will really stand out. In general, I think you'll have an easier time selling items that represent a solution for the buyer, whether it's organization or a gift for that person who's so hard to buy for. Good luck!~

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can also make stretchy rings and stretchy bracelets. Put some random beads on a piece of elastic and slightly various sizes, and tah-dah! You have rings and bracelets. You could sell the rings for about $1 and still make a nice profit. The bracelets more about $5. And the elastic makes them easy to try on and/or give as gifts.

·
Registered
922 Posts
*Christmas Decoration*

A lot of folks seem to like homemade christmas decorations for their home and tree.

leezza

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What about, pot holders, pretty sets of napkin rings?

I also agree with totes. Those are very popular right now!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
or maybe aprons? Like the short ones that are just from the waist down to above the knee?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Last Christmas my dd got a child sized chef hat and matching apron. She loves it. Make them in bright fun fabrics.

I second the idea of the of tote bags with sports things embroidered on them.

Dish towels with cute saying embroidered on them. Things like NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
How about simple earrings? An ear wire, a pewter chandelier finding and a drop beads and you're done. Look at firemountaingems.com or riogrande.com . Put 'em on a spiffy card. They can be cheaply made as there's very little labor and materials and can be spiffy too.

JD

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Fantastic ideas! Man! (oopssss I mean Wow!) you ladies are quick on the draw.

* keenly embroidered pillow cases. I know you can do that.
* cloth lunch bags (there's a pattern on line.. just type it in search)
* Do the burp cloths.
* embroider childrens socks - does your machine come with the small item attachment?
* embroider bibs (you can buy in bulk on line)
* embroider golf towels (bulk)
* embroider bowling (bawling) towels (bulk)
* make/embroider shoe bags
* make/embroider cosmetic bags

brain dead right now.
If I think of more.........

·
Registered
38 Posts
What about quilted checkbook covers, small simple wallets, cell phone holders, ipod/mp3 cases, and coupon organizers? :idea:

I'd try for a fabric that reminded me of Vera Bradley handbags.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cell phone holders
Some of those "things to do with old blue-jeans" ideas someone posted last week. I like the fridge magnets made from pockets.

A lady at our farmers market has done really well making things out of old bedspreads, table cloths, curtains, etc picked up at thrift stores. She makes everything from pot holders to simple sun dresses to purses and totes.

A friend of mine did really well making holiday decorations out of old mason jars. She'd sew a snow-man or bunny rabbit (etc. according to the holiday) and glue them to the bottom of the jar. Then she'd have fake snow or confetti stuff so -- shake the jar and watch it fall. . . I'm not doing them justice with my description but they were really cute.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*Christmas Decoration*

A lot of folks seem to like homemade christmas decorations for their home and tree.

leezza
I had a friend that lives a few hours away tell me that this weekend too. Guess I need to start looking up some patterns. I use to paint some and love the homemade wooden ornaments I have. Will have to see what I can come up with around the house for materials.

Thank you for the idea!

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
or maybe aprons? Like the short ones that are just from the waist down to above the knee?
I was thinking about some of those. I've seen some really cute ones that I'd like to try. I know I would wear them.

Thanks!
Debbie

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to thank you all for the wonderful ideas! Keep them coming! I'm hoping to work on a few projects this week to see what I can come up with. I managed to do some of those plastic bag holders last week. Just made them out of simple muslin and embroidered something simple on them. I thought they turned out nice though I didn't get much interest in them. I was hoping if I came up with some things for $5 it would draw attention.

I did do some cinnamon rolls this week. Cost me under $4 to make twelve and then just sold them for a dollar. I sold out! Might have to do more of those this coming weekend.

Debbie in Missouri

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two things I have seen that fly off the shelves here when I do shows - washable swiffer dusters and these long colored fleece scarves/boas made in NFL team colors. I've been looking for an online pattern for the swiffer dusters, but I think I might try to make my own after taking a closer look at an actual one. The fleece scarves are two or three long pieces of fleece sewn together down the middle and then the edges are snipped to give a fringy effect. I don't know why they are so popular up here, but hey - if it sells, that's all that counts!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Two things I have seen that fly off the shelves here when I do shows - washable swiffer dusters and these long colored fleece scarves/boas made in NFL team colors. I've been looking for an online pattern for the swiffer dusters, but I think I might try to make my own after taking a closer look at an actual one. The fleece scarves are two or three long pieces of fleece sewn together down the middle and then the edges are snipped to give a fringy effect. I don't know why they are so popular up here, but hey - if it sells, that's all that counts!

I have a swiffer duster. May have to take a look at it and see what I could come up with. What type of fabric do they use for it?

Debbie in Missouri

1 - 20 of 27 Posts