Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
News paper, paper bags, coffee filters are all good ideas.
I don't ever have grease to drain so it's a none issue for me.
I don't use paper towels to dry my hands or do the windows but I do keep a roll on hand for greasy messes. One roll lasts me months but it nice to have them on hand. The trick is to keep the paper towels put away in a closet so your not tempted to use them.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
newsapaper, junk mail

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
coffee filters work great!
Just wondering how this is better/less wasteful than paper towels? Are they cheaper? Less paper product needed to produce them?

I haven't made the leap to get rid of paper towels yet, I go through various periods of time of reducing my use of them and I tear them in half, quarters, etc.

Great question on the bacon, my first thought was to use a regular dish towel instead, then soak the dish towel in sink/bucket with Dawn soap. (my super degreaser friend)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Newspaper with no colored ink on it. HAve also used brown paper sack, also without inks, and once, I put a cake rack over a plate and put them on that, as I had no paper. Then I put the plate in the fridge while we ate, then scraped it off the plate.

IHTH!

Judi

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I haven't given up paper towels compelety so i do drain my bacon on it when i fry bacon but i have cut way back on them since i started using cloth napkins and small hand towels. A roll does me several months unless i have lot of company that use them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
We eat turkey bacon, so don't have to worry about grease. When the wife fries up her corn tortillas, she uses an old kitchen towel that isn't used for anything else. She'll soak it in dish soap, and then toss in the laundry with other towels.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I just don't drain it. We rarely eat anything that needs to be drained so I don't worry about the extra fat.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I use coffee filters also.I get them at dollar store I buy 2 packs at a time. I there like 300 filters per pack. So $2 bucks a year.But they are not just not used to drain greasy food.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Sometimes i use coffee filters to put the girls' sandwiches on if I don't feel like doing dishes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wondering how this is better/less wasteful than paper towels? Are they cheaper? Less paper product needed to produce them? Yeah, I don't want to substitute one paper product for another.

Great question on the bacon, my first thought was to use a regular dish towel instead, then soak the dish towel in sink/bucket with Dawn soap. (my super degreaser friend)
I had thought about using my older, thinner dishtowels

I actually cook the bacon in the oven on a rack over a baking pan, so most of the fat drips out while cooking.
But it still needs to be place on something absorbent to soak up any excess.
I think I'll try the dishtowel next time.

I use almost no paper towels at all.
I keep a large supply of old rags, towels, etc. for any cleaning - then I just throw them in the wash.

Every time I actually reach for a paper towel, I feel guilty!
And I live alone - it's not like anyone else would know except me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I haven't given up paper towels compelety so i do drain my bacon on it when i fry bacon but i have cut way back on them since i started using cloth napkins and small hand towels. A roll does me several months unless i have lot of company that use them.
That's exactly how we do it. We go through about 1 roll a month that way. I hardly ever had paper towels around growing up, (four younger sisters who waste everything) so I'm kind of used to grabbing a hand towel or wash cloth to clean up messes.

I have a whole drawer full of kitchen towels and hand knitted dish cloths that I use for wiping up messes, and for things like soaking up bacon grease when I cook it in the microwave, I just use up a few paper towels. We hardly ever have bacon at home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Using bread is a great idea! I like to keep a roll of paper towels on hand...especially handy is one of the animals gets sick. I keep them inside a pantry door. Out of sight, out of mind.

ETA...the towels in the pantry...not the animals... :cat:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.