Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would, but it would be a very tight fit. After we packed up supplies, it would be very, very tight, but I think we could do it. We have 4 dogs (2 over 50#) and 4 cats. Plus me and my husband. All in my 4-door Stratus. ;)

·
27,948 Posts
Just one cat so we'd have room. ;)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I took my cat Oscar last year when we evacuated for Rita, and I'm definitely gonna take him if we have to go again. Maybe it's kinda cruel, but I'm not too worried about our guppie.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
just a budgie so yes!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I no longer have a pet(s). Both my cats were like family to me, I would definately take them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
DEF a yes -- we have 2 cats who would go in carriers and our Shar pei Rei -- I actually keep their food all in tupperware containers. Easy to run with!

ok -- no idea what would happen with the turtle....something to think about.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I've got livestock, and my area is known for wildfires, so my plan has always been to just open all the gates and unfortunately let the goats, donkeys, and chickens fend for themselves. I have multiple parrots and two big dogs, and emergency carriers and cages for each. The tropical fish and snails would unfortunately probably perish, unless I had enough warning to bag them. I have a truck with a camper shell, so probably all critters would go in there and we'd be off to wherever we had to be off to.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
yep. We have 2 carriers for the cats, 3 dogs go in the back seat, cats on my lap in the front or in the floor of the back seat. Food and our necessities in the trunk. It would be stinky with the panting dogs, but it can be done. :D It would certainly be worth it. Now, finding a place that would accept us would be something else entirely.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
We would be able to take our pets with us, we have 1 cat and 1 dog so we would be fine taking them in our large van.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
yup, everyone would go ... we've got a mini van lotsa room. It would be an interesting fit, but we've got our pet evac plan. Big birds in the cat carriers, teeny tiny birds in the small transport cage. Dogs have their car seat tethers. Everyone will go.

I already have alot of snow emergency items in the car...like foods for all and water. And so on. Our toss together rubbermaid supply box has enough room for some extra staples to be thrown in as well as things that can't be replaced...photo albums...

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
We would. They are members of the family. :paw:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am sooo very impressed that alot of people have thought this through. Hard lessons learned from watching Katrina maybe?? I know for me it sure made me rethink the whats ifs....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Would not leave without them...have 2 dogs and 1 cat so we have the room

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yep the cat and the pup would go. Even when I had hundred pound dogs they would have gone with us no matter what.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping this as some of us are coming up on hurricane season again - everyone still prepared to take their pets?

We gained 2 more cats (so a total of 4 dogs and 6 cats), no longer have the Stratus and have a 4 door pickup instead. I think we could still do it, especially if DH drove his work truck out. My only concern is not enough carriers for the cats. I need to pick up some more at the pet store (I try to buy when they are on sale), or at least pick up some cheaper cardboard carriers at the vet's office. The dogs would go in the back seat, the cats would be in the front seat and on the floor of the backseat. Those in hard carriers may have to go in the back of the truck, but in an emergency we do what we have to do. One of my goals for this year is to put a topper on the truck so then the dogs can go back there and be safe.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Well I have 4 cats, 1 dog now, 2 ducks and 3 goats. I could put kennels on the trailer for the goats and ducks. We sure would be crowded in the car with 4 cats, 4 humans and 1 dog.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
If we go, our pets go. We have a 79 lb weimeraner (sp?), a little jack russell, 2 cats and a rabbit. If everyone did not fit in one vehicle, we would take 2. However, I see no reason for us have to evacuate. We live far enough inland that hurricanes are rarely over a catagory 2 once they get here and we are not in an area that floods.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Since I last posted, we added a guinea pig and hamster. I would definitely try to take them. My cat is definitely coming, my guppy survived the last evacuation alone. I need to give some thought about how I could take the little furries.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We have 2 cats, plenty of room in the van for the 6 of us and the 2 cats, so if we had to go they would too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
If it were just us getting out then yeah, the cat and the dog would go, if I needed to make room for a human aka my mom, sister or someone, then no. People are more important than animals. And I love my guys, but animals should not take the place of a human being who needs rescuing. I guess I'm odd man out here but that's how I feel.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts