Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to start over on your pantry from the very start and could do it any way you wanted, how would you do it.

Location, location, location. Just this summer we moved the pantry out of the laundry room (where the builders placed shelves) and redid the under the stairs coat closet to house canned, bagged, boxed goods. I made my shelves not as wide from the wall out (holds 2 cans) and made the distance between shorter. It is so much easier to reach items. Even though there are more/larger shelves in the laundry room, it just wasn't functional. The coat closet didn't work either. Flip-flopped it is wonderful. Seasonal boxes and coats are now way back in the laundry room and my food is handy.

I also learned that it is much cheaper to make the shelves the "old fashioned" way from wood and brackets instead of using wire "pantry shelves".

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't have even one closet on my first floor (old house). And my kitchen is teeny tiny, so we put up shelves in the basement for the stockpile. It is inconvenient to have to go downstairs at times, but at least I'm getting my exercise.....

I am in the process of rebuilding the stockpile, we depleted it over the holidays. I only kept a three month supply and just didn't replace what we used. It got us through the holiday expenses and a power outage.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well i can't move my pantry. It's a second kitchen in the MIL apt.
But I bought gorilla shelving that holds 1000#. The old ones I had got so full they bent.lol And rusted from a little leakage.

In my dream pantry it is the size of a laundry room and has a prep. counter in the middle. The room is attached to the kitchen on one side and the utility rm which passes through the garage. You just pull in and unload.
I have storage floor to ceiling,an area to store sm. kitchen appliances and extra kitchen utencils and corningware. the prep bar has shelves w/ doors to store pots,pans and baking pans. In my other areas I have a root cellar because we grow lots of stuff in the yard in a huge garden.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I think I'll let frugalwarrior2 design mine. Sounds wonderful. However, renting apartments, you take what you get. At present I have an enormous walk in closet that is really working out quite well. I would prefer metal shelving to the heavy duty plastic I have and if my ship ever comes in, I may replace it. But it's ok.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty happy with our pantry.

It's in the kitchen, and has a custom door with frosted glass that says "Pantry" and has a picture of bread, james, and a fruit basket etched in. I love it.

My shelves are deep and well-spaced.

Now, I guess I cheated because when we bought this house we had to gut and redo the kitchen, and I got to design the pantry myself. So, I guess that's what I did when I DID get to start over. :toothy:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I think I'll let frugalwarrior2 design mine. Sounds wonderful. However, renting apartments, you take what you get. At present I have an enormous walk in closet that is really working out quite well. I would prefer metal shelving to the heavy duty plastic I have and if my ship ever comes in, I may replace it. But it's ok.
At one time I had the metal shelves and they bent in the middle. I now have what you have, the heavy duty plastic one and I think they work fantastic. The metal ones also rusted over time. We could swap!!!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
My new shelves are metal framed but are a fiber board of a sort. I like that I could go to the hardware and get new inserts cut. We are hard on shelving. All my units are 5 shelves but I just bought a 4 because I want to put extra sm appliances or dishes on it too.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I started off stockpiling in 2 regular almost floor to ceiling pantries. Extra deep. I still use them of course but I can't get to anything in the back cause they are so deep. Probably 9 to 10 can deep. Can't rotate anything for crap. Couldn't get everything in them either cause I was working a a 6 month pile.

I now have everything that is not in the 2 pantries on the heavy duty plastic shelving units according to items. All soups together, all cake mixes together etc. I like this idea and the way it's set up.

Ideally I would like to have a decent utility size room with the shelves, wide sides open, spaced the way the old library shelves were. Able to walk or stand in the middle of 2 units. Not a wide side flush against the wall. This would make it easy to rotate, easy to see what is on each side of the unit and easy to reach.

I would like to have 4 of these units set up this way.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Think Dry Cleaners Racks -- I'll just rotate the racks until I find what I wanted :lol: ... yes, yes I am dreaming...

We have an 800sqft condo and I can't change the structure at all :sigh:

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I don't think I want a huge pantry just yet but the one Chef Michael Smith (Food TV Canada) has in his house is a good size - just a bit wider so its on both sides of the room vs the one wall only.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When we built our house, I had lived in about 12 different houses/apartments and this was going to be the first -- and, I assume, last -- time I'd get to plan things, including my first pantry. That said, I'd build it about twice as large! It's 6'4" X 8'.

DH installed bead board on the walls, made brackets and shelves out of wood. We primed and painted it all white. Most of the shelves are 11.5 inches deep and some 15 inches deep. I really like the wood shelving. We installed a wire rack shelving unit on the back of the pantry door.

The ceiling in our utility room is 10 feet and we have a shelf at one end where we store large stock pots, ice cream maker and other large, rarely used items.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We are basically using an extra bedroom for most of our food storage. It is still part office and band equipment storage for dh's stuff. I would love to get these shelves that hold #10 cans that work like the smaller one do for soup cans you put cans in and they roll to the front so the oldest is always in front. With these you can adjust the can width to accomodate a lot of sizes. Also there is this wall system for smaller type cans. I am sure dh will not want the room to have all these things mounted to the wall though. Sigh.

http://www.pharaohsstorehouse.com/on_wall.asp

http://www.shelfreliance.com/shop/frs

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Actually I had the chance to start over and the first thing I did was replace the 10 inch wire shelf with 12 inch wood. Reforeced
with 2 x 4' to keep t from sagging. Also had Dh replace the crappy 15 watt light bulb with a 60 watt fixtue. Now I can see into corners. Put in screws and hooks over doors to hold hanging things, great fro large pots. Stand platters behing canned goods on shelves.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I went to a parade of homes one time and there was a house that had a ROOM that was their pantry. It was probably about the size of my smallest bedroom. Loads of shelves on each wall for all the supplies that you might ever want to stock. Appliances on the bottom shelves, etc. I was so impressed and in awe of this beautiful room.
The door to the pantry was in the kitchen and was glassed instead of being wooden.
Loved it.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Niko, we are stockpiling pantry soul sisters, your ideal is exactly what I've been dreaming of! LOL! Imagine my surprise when I read your post as if I wrote it. Great minds think alike!!!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I don't really have a 'pantry' per se and don't miss one.

I use my basement and have two cabinets down there - plus floor with 'stuff'......but I just use it for re-stocking the upstairs. I have 'decent' (can you ever have 'enough'??) cupboard space upstairs, including two lazy susans that are stuffed!!

If I did a re-do guess I would build a walk in pantry downstairs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Our pantry right now is an old tv cabinet. Too deep, have to use a flashlight to see anything. My ideal pantry is a walk-in, shelves on the sides no more than 8 inches deep, shelves on the back deep enough for appliances.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
When we moved into our present home 3-1/2 years ago, the first thing we did was to convert one of the unfinished rooms in the basement to Food Storage, complete with large industrial grade racks on wheels. We had six of these racks already, but added more. It's a great storage area. Well-lighted and easy to keep clean and dry. Even hubby can find things when I ask him to bring them out of storage.

What I would have done differently...

Instead of storing as much canned goods and convenience foods from the store as I did, I wish I would have put that money into more #10 cans of freeze-dried foods earlier than I did. We never liked canned vegetables, so most of those ended up being donated to the Food Bank when they needed to be rotated out of storage. Freeze-dried foods have a much longer shelf-life than common canned goods from the store, or home-canned foods.

This past year I eliminated a large number of cans/bottles in storage just by switching to tomato powder. I no longer store tomato paste, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, bbq sauce, ketchup, because I make all of those with tomato powder and a few other ingredients in the pantry. I use frozen and dehydrated homegrown tomatoes as well.

I don't store cans of Cream of ________ soup now that I can make it with Magic Mix and a few simple pantry ingredients.

We've always used powdered milk and milk substitutes purchased in #10 cans and in bulk amounts, so they have always been a storage item. I used powdered eggs (also in #10 cans) when they were less expensive per egg than fresh shell eggs. It has taken about 2 years to get the Long-term Emergency storage foods in place and now use from them.

Using freeze-dried and home-dehydrated foods has made meal planning and preparation so simple. Less wasted food.

I also eliminated a free-standing freezer when we moved, which is one less energy hog in our home. I often wonder how much money goes into extra freezers and refrigerators? Yes, they are a convenient place to stash bargains, but do we ever figure what they cost in utilities?

I also have more room for grains now - hundreds of pounds of them. I have great storage room for foods purchased in buckets now that I haven't had in the past.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Niko, we are stockpiling pantry soul sisters, your ideal is exactly what I've been dreaming of! LOL! Imagine my surprise when I read your post as if I wrote it. Great minds think alike!!!
Thanks!!! On a dream one, floor to ceiling shelves would be great. But with my bursitis my arms won't go straight up so reaching high would be out. This would work very well.

Also, hate those shelves that look like wire racks that everyone uses these days. Stuff fall thu the open spaces and they are a ***** to clean. Not.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Our shelving is perfect (It should be, my hubby custom-made it for me!) :) However, if I had it to start over, I would keep inventory differently. Right now one side holds other "stuff" and I am slowly cleaning it off. Also, I would keep water storage to another area, freeing up room on the shelving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts