Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go to FL every winter for a time. I budget it in, and I do it very, very frugally. This year, however, I need to save for something else for one of my children (education related) and should not be using any of that money for FL.

How am I frugally going to manage a long cold winter? I wake up already nervous about it and it's still Dec. April is a long way away. :( What do you do when you're looking at crying jags due to the cold. What do you do to get through it? I know I need to grow up and suck it up.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Walking seems to be the only form of exercise I will do on a consistent basis. So right now with all the snow I bundle myself up and walk around the parking lot. Not everyone shovels around here so it seems to be the safest.

When the sun is shinning I open all the curtains and let the sun in. I will also open the balcony door and let some fresh air get in.

Winter can get really gloomy for me but I do notice I perk up when there are real flowers in the house. I also have some christmas cacti that are trying to bloom. Seeing flowers in the winter time seems to perk me up. Usually the grocery store has some type of flowers on sale. If it is in the budget I will pick a bunch up.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I keep myself busy with crafts and reading. Once February rolls around I begin the planning of my gardens. That helps. Good luck. Try to keep busy and the time will fly by.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Winter is when I get into knitting again. Can't seem to knit when it is hot outside.

I also have a manual treadmill that I got for free from FreeCycle. That thing is GREAT. Around here, we get a lot of rain in the winter, so I can walk in the relative comfort of my own livingroom, while watching t.v, listening to a podcast, or reading! And after about 10 minutes on that thing, even though I am just walking, I've worked up a sweat and I am HOT!!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Of course you can do it!

Sunlight is the key, try to get as much sunlight into your house as you can. For any task that you can do sitting down, make a point of doing it sitting in front of a sunny window. And if you can get yourself out for a walk on a sunny day, the combination of sunlight and exercise will do wonders for you.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We have upgraded many of our CFL to those with a higher number (less "romantic" and more like daylight sun). It can be blinding walking into our bathroom but the light feels good. I have the "good" lights in the craft room too. We will eventually get them in all areas of the house.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
GreenChicks- How about a water aerobics class at the Y? The pools heated, you get to chat with your classmates, it's kind of like Summer. Gets you out and about.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I always have a bad time in winter unless i make my self get out and go a lot and be around other people.That the reason i have a spend problem i will go to wg. or sa, just to look and get out the house and be around other people but wind up buying something,will be thinking about you and hoping every thing goes well for you.hugs

Reactions: GreenChicks

·
Registered
924 Posts
I enjoy the winter, at least until March, then I start to get tired of it. But I like to ski, and I like to go to hockey games, I like to shovel (to a certain extent), I like the snow, I like having fires in my fire place drinking hot chocolate. I like getting all bundled up and going for a walk.

You don't have to be inside 24/7 in the winter. Put on a pair of long johns and go for a walk around the block. Does your town have any activities? my town has a bon fire on the green at least twice in the winter.

Some of the most beautiful days happen in the winter. After a new snow fall, with the sun shining, crisp air...its just beautiful.

Winter in New England is much more than dark cold days.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
After reading the other what I was going to post seems way off.

It seems you are trying to figure out how to handle the emotional side of cold weather frugally. I had never thought about that

My advice was how to handle the cold. Things like we stopped eating at the kitchen table as it was to cold and are eating at the dinning room table as it is a bit warmer. And lots of throw blankets on the sofa. Warm sweaters and such.

Yet another opportunity to imagine my life differently. :)

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I I wake up already nervous about it and it's still Dec. April is a long way away. :( What do you do when you're looking at crying jags due to the cold. What do you do to get through it?
have you had your thyroid checked? anemia? a physical exam?

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well, to be honest i used to eat mounds of carbs,put on lots of weight and be moody.
This year I started Zoloft, am getting out more,I bought one of those S.A.D. lights.

If its the cold itself- I got energy smart space heaters that oscillate and are cool to the touch (pets). They shut off when they tip over.
I bought new flannels and a heavy coat,boots,hat and gloves.

I find if i make a list the night before I have a course when I get up instead of mopeing around. Staying on this board helped too.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
the winter and i are not friends lol

i have fibromyalgia and the cold really affects me badly pain wise .
i just keep chugging along as going to florida was never even an option here lol

i try to make sure my life is as unbusy as it can be after 4pm as somewhere between 4 and 7 i become a stiff achy pained 90 yo in body age person .
i still have carpools to run =but i try to do the way to which is earlier in evening or have my dh bring home so i dont have to go out at all.
i have a electric heating blanket and i look forward to a hot bath with a good magazine or book to stop the chills i get

before the fibro i just kept busy with kids- books funny TV shows . etc

rather then worrying because its not an option think how lucky you were it was those other years and look forward to the next year it is again !

i know looking fwd to warmer days helps get me through -

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
Try to see the beauty in winter. Solstice has just passed, the days get longer and brighter from here on out. Look at the natural world around you and watch the season change day by day.

Turning on bright lights and getting out in the sun when you can will help, too.

For the cold I have lots of fuzzy socks, soft flannel shirts, a new pair of bootie slippers, and an electric blanket at night. And a good supply of hot cocoa!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You could join a mall walkers of America group.

Feeding the backyard wildlife is quite entertaining.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have had this problem for several years now and this is what I do to help myself.
1. Lots and Lots and Lots of Light. Sometimes when I first get up I have every light in the house on .

2. I try to Sew or crochet alot during this season.

3. I am not by nature a social person. I am very happy at home without outside contact (other than dh and dd's ) for a week or more at a time. But when things are especially bleak , getting out a little helps.

4. Certain tv shows help me feel better. Funny shows. All older shows.

5. I don't read the paper or watch the news. I do glance at the MSN headlines when I first sign on to the computer and if anything important is happening I can monitor it there.

6. As far as keeping warm ( I am in Michigan and it gets very cold here) I wear warm clothes, run an electric fireplace and I sit on my heating pad . Sometimes I have to fight the dog for the heating pad but we usually end up sharing.

7. I am also careful about what I read. I love scary mysteries and police thrillers but they can get me in a funk. I know that sounds crazy but its true. I try to keep my reading light in the winter. More who done it kind of mysteries then blood and gore and some romance or frugal reading .

8. Start a project. Sew, crochet, make a recipe book, organize your photos, start a blog, do crosswords.

These things aren't always 100% successful but they do help and most of the time they help ALOT. I am sorry you are feeling badly and I hope some of our advice will help give you some relief.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My list is similar to the others.
Lots of light, as much as I can get.\
I invested in silk long johns and get my behind outside every day. If I absolutely can't I put on a CD and dance like a fool.
I bought an electric throw to sit under at home. I would get so cold my bones hurt. This is helping.
I use the library a great deal. They have groups and speakers along with lots of magazines/books/movies.
I've added vitamin D and fish oil to hopefully short circuit my usual Feb. doldrums.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.