Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do for entertainment if your kids are grown? When our kids were growing up I was really busy, Scouts, volunteering and so forth. Now it seems like one day just runs into another and they are all pretty much the same. I have to be close at hand for our son, but I need some ideas on how to spice up our lives a little. Any ideas?

·
Registered
977 Posts
It just depends on your interests. For me, I like being a homebody. Hubby and I enjoy the garden, improving the yard, actually being able to clean the house and have it stay clean for longer than five minutes, cooking, writing and reading new books. We're not bored not being on the run and can find plenty to do around here.

If I had to be busy outside of the house, I'd consider doing some volunteer work, joining a civic organization, getting involved in my community.

·
27,948 Posts
Take day trips, discover your state.:)
Go for hikes, picnics and just enjoy being together.
Invite other couples over for food, fun & games. Go on those day trips with them.
Play cribbage, board games and like mentioned just enjoy your home and yard.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Gripey and I spend a lot more time together, chatting and just going and doing the 'little' things (i.e. buying groceries together....I know, not exciting but enjoyable when we're together). We take some trips now that we couldn't do before and enjoy spending time planning future trips. We like to get together with friends for a meal, a game of cards, etc... .

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than doing what I did that mainly involved the kids when they were growing up, I was a homebody...couldn't afford not to be. We have a 24 yr. old son that lives with us and he can't be left alone for long periods of time. He & I already play a lot of different games, all of us watch certain TV shows together and sometimes all 3 of us watch movies together. I am into flower gardening, but the weather isn't conducive to that right now...so I am really looking forward to Spring.

I didn't have time to read for quite a few years, but have started reading again...I love to read! Many of our friends have drifted off since our son's accident. His behavior isn't always conducive to the environment (if you know what I mean?). People who knew him from the time he was a baby have a hard time dealing with the person he is now (breaks their hearts), and they just tend to stay away unless they need something.

Maybe I'm just suffering from the Winter blahs...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Get out the seed catalogs and start planning your spring planting!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get out the seed catalogs and start planning your spring planting!
Actually, I am waiting for my order to come from Burpee. I had a gift certificate for them that I got by saving coffee proofs of purchase...free is good!!!

It's supposed to get up into the high 40's this coming week, maybe I'll go out to my shed and start organizing my planting stuff a little earlier this year.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Reading, movies, day trips, museums, short 3 day get aways,
playing games on the internet, join some forums that interest
you such as your hobbies, take a walk in the mall (exercise),
volunteer at your local hospital, parks, read your city's or towns
website to see what's going on (sometimes free stuff), see a play,
attend a concert, go to the local high school's plays and sporting
events, volunteer for the American Red Cross (always need help),
offer to help a neighbor, well you see what I mean.
All the best to you.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It could be the winter blahs! My fiance and I don't have kids yet and we have fallen into a winter routine of dinner at home, computer, reading and tv after work in the evenings. The weekends are chores and more computer, reading, and tv.

I think once the weather improves we will feel like going on walks/hikes again and doing day trips on the weekends. You could research day trips for you and your husband and son for in a month or two when the weather improves (those don't cost much money and they get you out of the house for awhile).

·
Registered
902 Posts
All really good suggestions thus far...
Does your local library have a book club? Or maybe joining a gardening club? You would be with people that share your interests.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you`ve been given good tip`s. I wish I could give you some other`s but I don`t know any . hug`s
Big hugs to you too cissylu!!!! I hope you are having a great day!

·
Registered
35 Posts
How about joining the Big Brothers & Sisters organization....they're a lot of kids that need good role models...or do foster care..more of a full time job...we're raising hubby's granddaughters & are seniors...keeps us busy & it's well worth it...we all work in the summer garden & can or vacuum pack...girls started helping at age 2....we are so blessed to have another family....! Can't retire so it's Refire here!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts