Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been looking around for a hand crank flashlight at some local hardware stores and the price was prohibitive. Yesterday I stumbled across the new products at Ikea and found this!

LJUSA Flashlight, hand-powered - IKEA

Only $4.99!!!

I'm going to pick up several on my next trip to Ikea! Just wanted to share!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I got mine at K-Mart as part of a flashlight/radio combo pack. It was pretty cheap (got it a year ago, so can't recall exactly, but I want to say under $10) and both items work well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hand crank rechargeable flashlights are a great idea in theory. Unfortunately most of them are so cheaply made as to be unreliable junk.

In conditions or situations that warrant the use of emergency lighting...Ruggedness and durability can be the difference between life and death.

The good news is...Advances in low energy usage LED lighting have now led to inexpensive AA and AAA battery LED flashlights which will provide weeks of use on a single set of batteries.

Here's a great link for inexpensive or even build it yourself custom preparedness flashlights.

Whoops... Apparently I'm not allowed to post URL's until I have 15 posts...

The companies name is Lighthound...should you care to Google it.

Reactions: daylily

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We had several wind up lights. They only worked for a month maybe. Now, you have to crank when you want light. If you stop, the light goes out.

·
8,714 Posts
~I have to agree about the hand-crank lights being junk. DH bought two different ones at Home Depot and Walmart a couple of years ago. They didn't last long. The crank handles weakened after only a dozen or so sessions of cranking and by then it was too late to return them. The handles broke off within 6 months. We repaired them but then the lights went out around a year with the one and 18 months with the other. Junk. We paid about $25 for both of them.
We haven't replaced them but when we do it will be with a military surplus flashlight with old fashioned batteries.
Maybe you'll get lucky with the one from IKEA. Most of what I've bought from them has been surprisingly durable. And at just $5 I'd probably take the chance on one too. ~

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
why don't you get it, try it out and let us know if it is a good product. I will be glad to get one if it is good.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
We have two that Diva "gave" us for Yule one year. (I brought her to Kmart, she got to choose the gifts she gave us, when asked, she said she wanted to get us something to help with "all of Momma's primperations") :lol:

The ones we have work really. I keep mine in the house, he keeps his in the car.

Still waiting for them to open an Ikea closer to home, we have one about an hour away.,, but, when we go back, I will check out the flashlights.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Mine is about two years old. I only use it in emergencies (or when I can't find my BIG spotlight flashlight), so it has only been cranked for power about half a dozen times for actual use. I check it every couple of months, just to make sure it is working, crank it about 10 times then hit the power switch. So far, it is still kicking. :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ikea is about 45 minutes from us but I plan to pick up a couple of these the next time we are there.

·
Registered
484 Posts
very nice -good shopping -i got one from wally world in the sporting goods dept. where they have all the flash lights but look hard they blend in-again good shopping--hugs to you and WTG

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow that one is so modern looking and bright color easy to find!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, the hand crank, as well as the shake flashlights are generally very cheap. The theory is sound, it's that the components and craftsmanship are sub-par. It might be possible to pull one apart and change out the capacitor to a decent one, but for emergencies, you really can't go wrong with a decent LED flashlight.

As far as flashlights go, for ANY situation, I strongly recommend headlamps over handhelds. They are just so much more functional, and especially in an emergency, chances are you'll need your hands for something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts