Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to replace our washer, and bought a front loader. I have already seen a drop in my water bill last time ($15). I know I can save more by using cold water. But, have you noticed any difference in your clothes? I am hesitant to use cold water for my white load, 4 kids, many stinky white socks!:chicken: Also, any trouble with powder detergent dissolving? Thanks FV!:vibes:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Whenever my dh does laundry, he does them in cold. I am psychotic and think that doesn't get clothes clean enough. I always use hot water. Just a preference, I guess.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i always use cold except when the towels are particularly stinky. - the only problem i run into is the powder detergent that i use not "melting" down all the way so i regularly will wait and watch the soap melt down before i even begin loading clothes just to make sure that i dont get clothes covered in white spots at the end. - since you have a front loader though.. i dont think you can do that. so maybe liquid could be an option. or melting it down before you put it in the machine. - i also just have myself and dh, not kids so... im sure you deal with different laundry issues than i do, grass stains.. blood from scraped knees and things.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I wash whites in hot. I have a front-loader, too. I mostly use liquid detergent, so I don't have alot experience with powder.......BUT, the one time I bought a box, I knew you were supposed to use less than normal. So, liquid, I use about 1TBS....powder I used about2Tbs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had a front loader for about three years and I have no problem using powdered detergent, usually tide or cheer. But I only use a tablespoon or two. It doesn't take much.

I just had to have a new pump installed and a new gasket for around the front. If you wash anything like a jean jacket or a carhart work jacket be sure to turn inside out so the metal buttons won't catch the gasket and tear out a piece. The repairman told me to always leave the door open after use until the inside is dry to prevent mildew inside the gasket and washer. And he told me to once a month use some special automatic dishwasher cleaner product and run an empty load on hot to keep the washer clean inside. I ran an empty load with cascade with bleach and I noticed that my towels did smell cleaner. Since then I have started to wash my whites with hot instead of warm.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
I don't have a front loader but I use liquid detergent. After living in Germany for 3 years, our cold water was freezing cold and wouldn't disolve anything. We use warm water to wash the towels and my dh's gym clothes.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DH (th laundry person around here) does all of the laundry in hot water. He says it gets everything cleaner. Also, our DS has an allergy to dust mites and his allergy doctor told us it would be better if everything was washed on hot.

·
Registered
569 Posts
DH (th laundry person around here) does all of the laundry in hot water. He says it gets everything cleaner. Also, our DS has an allergy to dust mites and his allergy doctor told us it would be better if everything was washed on hot.
Just thinking out loud here, even if you washed in cold wouldn't the dryer kill the dust mites?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I personally wash EVERYTHING in cold water... even whites. I have never had a problem with getting whites really white and stinky socks clean.

Plus it helps me save on my oil usage.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have always hated powder detergent, so I usually buy the HUGE container of Sun or Extra concentrate(whichever is cheapest that week).
I always wash everything in cold. The whites-to make sure they get clean- I add 1 cup of bleach to the water & soak them overnight.Then in the morning, I add the detergent & turn the washer on....I have had no problems getting things clean. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Just thinking out loud here, even if you washed in cold wouldn't the dryer kill the dust mites?
Yes, it probably would if you used a dryer (whch we do). I am sure the doctor printed up the information sheet on dust mite allergies because not everyone uses a dryer.

DH would not wash in cold anyway - he likes to have them all done in hot. The hot water is not a major expense(electric water heater) and makes him happy to clean them that way.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
cold

I have washed everything in cold for about 6 years now, I have one child with severe allergies and my husband works in a big stinky factory and comes home filthy--I use a liquid, and my clothes come out really clean and fresh. I still have a regular old top loader too.:catfly:

T

·
0 Posts
I wash about half our laundry in cold water. I do use warm for towels and heavily soiled clothes. I use the sanitary cycle (super hot) for cloth diapers. I do use hot water for stained items that I've soaked in Oxiclean - the stuff works great, but I find that the powder won't completely dissolve if I don't wash them in hot.

I have a front-loading washer as well - and I love it!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the replies! I did wash a load of darks in cold water with liquid detergent. I'm just going to try and switch over to cold, bit by bit. My dark load "smelled" fresh. At this point, I will still wash my whites in hot...the problem with my front loader, is no long "soak" in the water, and even in hot water, my whites don't seem as white...
I appreciate all your input!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wash our clothes in cold water. Mine and the little ones get put on delicate. This also helps because with cold water you don't have to worry about the colors running. I have a temp setting on mine for tap water so I use that more often - though I don't know what the difference between cold and tap water is???
Dh puts his on warm because he works in a factory and stinks just a little when he comes home. Towels I put on hot because I want them really clean after people are using them!! Plus in my house you never know what they were used for.. lol. I also put mine and Dh's bedding on hot to get rid of dust mites. I'm not sure what the temp is supposed to be to be able to kill them but I'm sure that the warm temp doesn't do it.
I have no problem using powder detergent with my front loader and cold water. I used to when I had a regular washer though - it wouldn't mix right.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't use hot water for anything, unless it has The Plague on it or something, LOL. I usually use warm water for very dirty towels or sheets, but cold for most everything else. I use liquid detergent so not sure about the powder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use hot for whites (can't break the habit!), warm for sheets and towels, and cold for the rest of our clothes. Our colored clothes look better longer by washing in cold (don't have that faded look). Unfortunately, my hot water and extra bleach habit wreaks havoc on our whites.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts