Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to make this short. But bare with me. I am the oldest grandchild and am extremely close to my grandparents. I grew up next door to them and when I married, I moved on the other side of them. Well, in June my grandpa found a knot in his throat, turned out to be Lymphoma. I took him to all his drs appts., tests, chemo, etc. After 1st treatment, he had three strokes. After a couple more treatments, they decided he couldn't take any more treatments and death would be inevitable. However, he is a christian man and he is still here with us, -very weak, but still here. Anyway, My granny called pharmacy to refill his pain meds. They told granny that script was refilled on 9th for 100 pills and he couldn't be out. Granny said she didn't refill it and they told her that Ms. Waller (me) picked it up. Well, i didn't. So, I get off work and go to pharmacy to see what's going on. Someone forged my signature and got the script. I asked pharmacy tech if she knew what the person looked like. (which I figured was highly unlikely due to it had been 2 weeks) She states that the cashier told her it was a blonde with a daughter and that it was a member of the family. I asked if it was my dads gf, as she was the only one to fit that description. She smiled and told me to get her up there to do a handwriting comparison because this has happened before (i didnt know this). I call her and she says she'll come and she does. Handwriting was not even close. I am told there's nothing I can do without a witness. I go to the Police Dept. because I can't imagine that a crime of this nature can go on without some recourse. Police decide to investigate. I am asked the names of people that it could be. Well, besides myself and granny there are only 3 females in the family. We will call them: Jane, who is my 20 yr old cousin, Amanda who is my cousin's wife, and Shay who is my dads gf. I give the officer their names, etc. I leave. I round up some old cards with writing of each of these gals and take them to pharmacy to do a comparison. Well, one was 99% exact. It was Jane's. The pharacist wanted to know whose it was, I told him her first name and NOTE she is the daughter of the pharmacy tech! Anyway, That night, I decide to talk to Janes Dad because if it was her, I didn't want to put her in jail, but would like to talk to her and get her help if needed, or whatever. She just had a baby, so I am considering all factors. Her Dad says, it is a possiblility, blah, blah. We can talk to her tomorrow. Well, it is tomorrow and I don't hear anything. I call him before bed and asked if he figured out when we could talk. He states that he asked her if she had a problem with pills and she said no, so he left it at that. I decide to just let it go. I go to work next morning, Jane and her mother show up and cause a scene because I took a sample of her writing for comparison. They leave. I leave work cause I am so upset by some of the things that were said to me. After I get my thoughts straight and talk with my husband, he tells me that I need to clear my name for the record in case something like this happens again and to allow the police to investigate even if it is a family member. So, the Police tell me that they will call me Monday to set up time for an Official Handwriting Analysis and a polygraph test. I agree.
Now, my question is, did I do the wrong thing by trying to figure out who did the forgery by providing samples and possible names? Amanda and Shay aren't mad and have completely cooperated throughout all of this. Where as Jane has gotten her family (other side of family, no kin to me) to cuss me out, show their butt, try to fist fight, etc.
Please be honest. I am just trying to figure out why this person is so irate. I mean, I know she feels accused. But the pharmacist and some other family members, determined that the writings were likely one and the same, And I too agree they are. And I did try to handle the situation within the family first......I only involved the police after all of the scenes that were caused.

I am just so depressed and sick at my stomach about this entire situation. I mean a crime was committed against me and my grandfather and then I am treated like dirt by some of the family for trying to figure out who stole from a dying man and forged my name. I guess I just want yall's opinion because you're unbiased. I appreciate your time in reading this and hope to hear your responses. Thank you.

· Registered
7,127 Posts
Personally, I think you did a good thing in going to the authorities. I know it's easy for me to say (because I'm not walking in your shoes), but who cares what happens to Jane for committing the crime. If they find out that it is Jane, she should pay the price...fine, jail time, whatever. She's 20 years old and there is still time for her to learn from her mistakes and change her ways. Perhaps help will be provided for her if she gets caught for what she's done. Try to relax and breathe easy. You were only trying to help your grandparents in a difficult time. What you've done is honourable, and if cousins/aunts/uncles want to turn a blind eye to Jane's crime and hate you, then that's their problem. In the end (if that were to happen) I would cut ties from that side of the family as much as possible.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
I think you've done the right thing. Plan and simple she is being dishonest. Your GF needs these meds and if Jane had a legitimate reason for having them, a doc would write her a RX so she didn't have to go to these lengths.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, if you were Jane, Shay, or Amanda, would you be mad at me for taking your signature for comparison?

· Registered
7,127 Posts
Probably, but what were going to do? Walk up to them and say, "Excuse me. There are only 3 people who could have taken my grandparents pills. Could I please have your signature so I could compare it to my forged signature?" No, of course not. What you did is admirable like it or not from your angry cousins.

If she's caught by the authorities and your cousins are raging upset at you, try to calmly tell them that maybe now she can get the help she needs. Your family is NOT helping her by hiding her crimes or pretending that they don't exist!

· Registered
9,802 Posts
I think you are doing exactly the right thing.

1. You need to clear your name. This is a serious matter.
2. If it was Jane, not only is it a crime, but if she has problem with drugs herself, she needs help.
3. If was Jane, and she got them not for herself but for someone else, she is in really, serious trouble.

And if it is Jane, the pharmacy tech is probably in deep trouble too, if he/she knew it happened, or worse, enabled it to happen.

As for why her family is attacking, I would guess they either think it could not possibly have been her and are furious at the accusation, or they know it could very well have been her and are frightened.

Just my two cents worth.

· Registered
4,324 Posts
I agree that you did the only thing you could do. What this person (whether it be Jane or someone else) is a crime. You were implicated in this crime. You need to make sure your name is clear and the person who did this doesn't do it again. As fr as why Jane and her family are so angry at you, it might be that she is guilty and is afraid of what the consequences for her actions will be.

· Registered
3,708 Posts
If I was acused and I didn't do it I would not get upset. People who do the wrong thing usually protest to much that they are inocent. If she told the meds then she needs help....... With luck she'll get it. Your gf needs his meds and it was very mean of the person to take it away from him.
Fern

· Registered
2,667 Posts
I agree with the rest. You did the right thing. I have a family member who is serving a life sentence right now. Drugs were the start. We all "kinda" knew. If something had been done earlier, who knows. He may not be where he is now

· Registered
945 Posts
You did the right thing. If she did take the meds like everyone else has said, she has a problem that is way out of hand and needs help. To take meds from an elderly person shows that someone has a problem. I would do the same thing be it my ds, sd or any other person family member or not. If it wasn't her then she needs to understand that you're trying to look out for your grandparents. Don't beat yourself up over it (I know from experience that this isn't easy) and enjoy your grandparents. I never knew any of mine. When this is over you will know you did the right thing. I'm sorry if I sound mean but I have a hard time putting into workds at times the way I feel about things. Don't mean to step on toes.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all so much. I guess I needed someone "outside" to reassure me. I was angry when my granny called me. How could anyone, especially family take away the only comfort a dying man has? I calmed down (some) before I began looking into it, mainly because I didn't want to upset my granny any further. My husband also thinks because Jane is acting so crazy that it's probably guilt, especially since the others aren't acting that way. I guess I was trying to figure out if she "should" be mad because of me providing the signature for comparison (as that is what she keeps screaming) She said that I had no right to do that. BUT I felt like if roles were reversed and I wouldn't be that upset especially if I didn't do it.

I really do appreciate all of your honesty. I seriously do feel so much better today hearing from all of you. I just needed an outside perspective. You all are the best! :grouphug2 And if anyone else wants to contribute, please do so! I wish I could really reach out and hug you all!

· Registered
245 Posts
I agree with you and the others who responded. You did the right thing by your Grampa and anyone who doesn't understand that has a problem. Not only did you do the right thing, you did the courageous thing and I salute you.:cheergrl:

To paraphrase, ""All that is nesessary for evil to prosper is for good women to do nothing."

Did you manage to get some more meds for him?

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had to contact the doctors office and explain the situation, so on Thursday we were finally able to get the Oncologist to prescribe more AND I told the pharmacy to NOT allow ANY prescriptions to go out under my signature. They are "supposed" to flag his scripts and are only able to be picked up by my Grandmother or my Father in Person with no exceptions. So, hopefully this will prevent any future occurance.

· Registered
245 Posts
We had to contact the doctors office and explain the situation, so on Thursday we were finally able to get the Oncologist to prescribe more AND I told the pharmacy to NOT allow ANY prescriptions to go out under my signature. They are "supposed" to flag his scripts and are only able to be picked up by my Grandmother or my Father in Person with no exceptions. So, hopefully this will prevent any future occurance.
Oh, good. The only thing worse than being involved with all this other stuff would be for your grandfather to suffer for it.

Keep us updated, please.

· Registered
3,997 Posts
There's one thing you need to remember here. Folks with a drug or other substance problem are NOT sane. They're being driven by the drug of choice, whatever it is. Expecting them to react normally is human, but will not get you anywhere. Trust me, I know this from long, bitter experience in the past.

Anyway, you did the right thing. But you do need to remember that this person may have simply sold the drugs for $ or may have a drug problem. If it's the latter, then they are not rational, and all the worry and fussing and trying to understand that you do won't change it.

:hug2:

Keep your head up!

Judi

· Registered
31,548 Posts
You did the right thing girl!!! Jane is angry because she is guilty. She does have a problem that needs to be addressed. I assume the pills are probably oxycodon. They are the drug of choice nowadays for the younger generation and are very addicting. She needs to get serious help. Good luck with everything and don't feel bad. You are not only protecting yourself, your grandpa but also helping Jane (even though she won't realize it yet). Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

· Registered
1,105 Posts
You need a pat-on-the-back for a job well done! No one should take anything from a man that is sick and in need of his meds. And you had no choice but to CLEAR you name over all this stuff. Many people would sweep it under the rug and just let it slide if its a family member, and that is wrong! To forgery is a HUGE crime, and no one should get away with it not matter what they are trying to get, drugs, money, whatever. I think you did the only thing you COULD do, and SHOULD do. The laws are made for everyone to follow, not just some people, all people have to follow the rules......
I say "way to go", crime is crime and we are all responsible to see to it that it is stopped, be it a family member or friend it has to be stopped to protect the innocent people like your Dear Grandfather!
Be proud, you done such an wonderful thing for your Grandfather and I am sure he is proud of you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.