Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling a little depressed and home sick! I am was born and raised in NJ ---- I moved here( Florida) back in 1996! I have been trying to make my way here... but I have found most people don't want to be friends! I have been single since I was pregnant with my DD (now 11 3/4) and I feel like I have no direction! I'm not sure if it is my Birthday (45 this Friday) or the Economy.... and the fact I was looking at photo's of my Grandparents from the 20's and 30's! I am just feeling so blue........ does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I am looking to learn how to make a quilt... where do I start? I do know how to sew ( basic)

Hoooo Hummmmmmm there has to be more to life!

Does anyone else ever get like this?????

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Yeah, I do all the time. Quilting is a great hobby and there are lots of tutorials on YouTube. Start searching and you will be quilting in no time. Keeping busy with hobbies is was has kept me sane. Hugs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are there any groups you can join? Maybe look for a quilt guild. What about a church or temple? What about a book club? or maybe a single parents club? Just somethings I would try. I know that I do get the blues at times also. Hang in there....people here do care and are willing to talk.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yes, I am like that most of the time..but I don't have a home to be homesick for because I left there 33 years ago and my parents have passed on...I would enjoy watching your dd grow up and work on the quilting...Stick with your friends here and on the internet :hugs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I feel this way a lot. I'd stop watching the news (I had to do it, I even cancelled my cable. I couldn't stand all of the negative stuff on tv). Quilting is great to do. Just start with something simple. Maybe you can find a class in basic quilting. It will get you around other people, might be fun. I know when I feel like you do I get around other people, it helps me forget about my self for a while and brightens my mood. Also, don't be down about your age either . . . 45 is young!! Maybe a road trip back home with you daughter would be fun. I hope this helps and that you spirits are lifted soon. Happy Birthday!! You are a superstar!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Having a Blue Year, also

With the exception of a few bright days, I have been feeling slightly bluish ALL YEAR ! lol.

You might check out your local library for books on beginning quilting. I think this would be a good start for someone who doesn't know anything about quilting. I have an aunt who loves to quilt so much that when she was in the hospital recuperating from an infected hip replacement, we HAD to bring her those little squares and bits of fabric to work on. Personally, It would drive me nuts !

Check your local library also for events and activities for teens and pre-teens that your DD might be interested in. That might be a way for you to meet and become friends with mothers of children around your DD's age. Our library has Teen Bash nights and Teen Mike nights. Sounds fun to me. Don't give up !

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
A family member always joked that most people in Florida were from the north. Birthdays can always be a time to reflect, try not to be so hard on yourself.

Try looking into quilting groups in your area. Also, if your area has a adult night school there may be a class you could sign up for that is inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Although I love where I live I often find myself longing to be back in brooklyn. But i think I am missing what was not what is. I have been in Nj for 25 years now and although I have some friends I dont really think of them the way I did about my friends in Brooklyn I am often lonely also and although im sad you are too Im glad you posted so I dont feel as if Im the only one Keep your chin up It will get better

Reactions: KimZ

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm pretty much alone here in Florida too, with my 13 y/o daughter. All my family is in Washington state. I'm up in the orlando area though, or I would suggest we get together sometime.

Most of my friends that I have here have resulted from my hobby: bellydancing. So I also suggest you find a group of some sort doing something that you enjoy.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I know what you mean. I live if Florida too near Cocoa Beach area. I have been here for 34 years. I do have a few close friends but I long for my home state of Wisconsin. I do realize that it would not be the same if I lived there though. Most all of the relatives have passed on now. I have warm fuzzy feelings about the place because my mom was still alive ect....

I have a few friends that when they moved here to Florida they were shocked that everyone down here does not get together ALL the time for cards and other games a lot of northern people do because they are shut in the house for all those long cold winters. I think they have found some kindred spirits but not as many as they thought they would have.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Also I am looking to learn how to make a quilt... where do I start? I do know how to sew ( basic)
This is a perfect starter to jump start your friend making!!

Don't look up how to do it online, find out from people! Find a quilting group in your area, find an older person at a retirement community, anything.

Follow your interests, surround yourself with people that you have something in common with. If money allows, throw a party with your daughter, invite her friends AND the mothers over. Another thought, do you like your neighbors? Throw a small barbque and invite a few of them that you would like to get to know better. Have a dog? If it gets along with other dogs, try to take it for walks in heavily populated areas to strike up conversations with other dog lovers.

I do know how you feel, I've moved around and its hard to kick-start friendships when you've had such dear ones left behind in the other place. You can do it, though. Not everyone is quick to latch on but there are others out there, like you, looking for a true friendship connection. Just takes awhile to find them and it takes getting out there and beating the streets like you would for a job.

My own experience, hugs to you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It definitely takes a while to get used to a new place. I started having friends two years after we settled into our home. I love it here now, but I really miss my family too. Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.