Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I signed up for a beginner sewing class. It starts this Thursday night. We're gonna learn the basics and make a pair of PJ pants. I had to get a sitter 'cause the class starts at 4 PM and ends at 6 PM. I borrowed my mom's Pfaff machine since she won't be using it while she's in Yellowstone.

I did buy a few easy patterns. A few dress patters for Hannah, one for me, and then a tote bag pattern.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp17854.html?ovchn=SPRI&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=CMP

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp20826.html?ovchn=SPRI&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=CMP

http://www.habithat.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/10479

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp20589.html?ovchn=SPRI&ovcpn=Froogle&ovcrn=Froogle&ovtac=CMP

·
19,119 Posts
Good for you - hope you really enjoy sewing!! It can be soooo satisfying to be able to say "I made this"

I was just talking with a young lady I made a gown for.....she came for her final fitting today and was so happy. We talked about how the gown she loves was just a piece of fabric Sunday morning.

Obviously I love sewing and hope you do too!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am competely envious of anyone who can sew. I took home-ec in high school and I think the teacher passed me cause she felt sorry for me. I can't sew a straight line to save my life. I love the thought of sewing and would love to get into it, I just can't seem to be able to do it. I hope you have fun at your sewing class! Good luck!!

Reactions: guest002

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Good for you! I hope you love it as much as I do!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Enjoy!!! This summer when my mom comes to visit she is going to help me learn. Have the machine just need the guideance.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That's great! I get such satisfaction from sewing. It's also very relaxing for me, a great way to wind down.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Good for you! Enjoy the classes. Those dresses look real cute.

As for phoeny_moonstar...

I am competely envious of anyone who can sew. I took home-ec in high school and I think the teacher passed me cause she felt sorry for me. I can't sew a straight line to save my life. I love the thought of sewing and would love to get into it, I just can't seem to be able to do it. I hope you have fun at your sewing class! Good luck!!
Okay gal, listen up! :lol: I was told in grade 8 that I couldn't take home ec anymore ("they" - the school powers that be - claimed I was "matriculation"). I thumbed my nose at my home ec teacher and took classes in the community (the instructors there said I was rotten too). I ignored them all and did my own thing. I don't think I did too bad for myself.

Check out my photo albums here at the Village.

So, if you really want to, you can learn. It may just be that your learning style did not match the teacher's teaching style. that can be overcome.

I know I took a more creative approach to sewing than my teacher was willing to endorse. I wanted to design right from the beginning. She wanted to make me follow rules. I did not enjoy that.

I took a City of Calgary course with a British seamstress who worked in the garment industry. She opened my eyes and taught me it was okay to be original. And also stressed technique. It changed my whole way of approaching sewing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Good for you! The more skills you have the more money you can save and maybe make!

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my 1st class. It was fun, but your typical 1st class (not much get's accomplished).

I did learn how to take my measurements (let's not go there). I learned how to wind a bobbin, thread a bobbin and the sewing needle (not as easy as it looked). I also learned how to change the needle as mine needed changing.

Our homework was to get the PJ pattern, fabric, pins, sewing kit. I got a pattern that I can use for men or women, and I got one for the kids.

I'm excited. I was such a goober but I got so excited when I ran my 1st practice stitch after I changed the bobbin and threaded the needle :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Way to go! It's nice to see someone so excited about something. I wish I could sew clothes. I do make curtains, baby blankets and bags.

Good luck with your p.j.'s.:cheer4: :applause:

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
*jealous* Really wants to learn how to sew! I need a sewing machine!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My mom sent me to 4H for a year to take sewing lessons, and I'm sure glad of it. I've sewn for over 40 years for myself and my family and have saved many thousands of dollars. It inspired me to learn knitting, crochet, embroidery and reupholstering techniques, and saved me even more money making clothing, projects and gifts. :)
You'll never be sorry you can sew on a button, alter a garment, fix a ripped hem.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Good for you. I need to dust off my skills as well. Cute pattern. Be patient w/ yourself. remember "fit" skills take awhile. adjusting a patttern can be tricky but you'll be great at it soon. Garage sales are a good source of cheaper material. If your goodwill has a walmart near it they donate new clearanced fabric as well. When you get good retro fitting plus size clothes into fabric for small children is another way to save on fabric. Have loads of fun in class. i have found loads of never used patterns at both value world and rescued treasures if you have either store for as low as .40. Lets see $12.95 or .40 hmmm? Grandmas old sewing basket is a great place to get notions just be aware of old thread that has become dry rotted.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I am so excited for you! I would love to take sewing lessons...need to find a class that is at a convenient time/location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts