Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another website that bread made in the breadmaker can be dry and hard. So I found a recipe that called for using the breadmaker through the dough cycle (1 hr. 30 min) and then punching it down, putting in pan, letting it rise and bake it in the oven. OMG... I have a loaf in the oven now and it smells soooooo good. It has about 10 minutes more in the oven.

I will post the recipe and how it turned out later... after I have a chance to taste it.

:chef:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That's what I use my bread machine for ~ I can't remember the last time I baked in it :D In fact, I made a loaf of Italian bread a day or two ago that came out really well. After all these years, I still need help when I am shaping a loaf that doesn't go into a bread pan. Here's a pic of my Italian bread to show you what I mean ~ I think it looks like a slug, LOL. Either way, it was yummy!

Have fun with your machine!

·
4,028 Posts
Thats a beautiful loaf of bread. (It does remind me of something I've seen on Shrek though. LOL.) Mine turn out that way too when I bake.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I finally sold my bread maker at our garage sale this year. I really don't mind kneaded and rising the bread. Kneading it helps me get all my aggressions out! :) I hope it turns out well! It has been too hot here for home baked bread lately! I just don't even want to think about turning the oven on!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the first loaf of bread turned out beautifully (sorry I don't have pics). By the time BF got home from work, I already had the 2nd loaf rising in the pan. I did bake this one a little longer than the first loaf -- the crust is darker, but the crust is still soft. Here's the recipe with my alterations listed in Cook's Notes:

HOMEMADE BREAD
1 cup warm water (110-115°F)
1 Tbs milk
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups AP flour
1-1/2 cups WW flour
2 tsp instant active dry yeast

Combine water, milk, oil, honey/sugar and salt; stir. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. (if using breadmaker, see instructions and resume here with remaining directions).
Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm! Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.
NOTE: If using dough cycle on breadmaker, add ingredients in order of listing into 'bucket'. Set on dough setting and continue with remainder of instructions. COOK'S NOTE: I used the breadmaker to mix/knead and I made the following substitutions: I just used warm water from kitchen faucet -- I didn't take temperature;1 Tbs milk made from powdered milk; 4 Tbs white sugar instead of 2 Tbs honey + 2 Tbs brown sugar; 3 cups AP flour instead of 1-1/2 cups AP + 1-1/2 cups WW flour; 1 pkg active dry yeast. instead of 2 tsp dry yeast. I also brushed top of baked loaf with melted butter. Yumm-O!! Unless I measured the water incorrectly in the first batch, I added several Tablespoons of additional water till dough 'looked right.' For the second loaf, I adjusted the liquid a little bit and needed to add flour till dough 'looked right.' Oh, well... I guess it depends on the temp. of the kitchen.

P.S. No more fresh baked bread till I go to store for more flour...LOL.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
That's what I use my bread machine for ~ I can't remember the last time I baked in it :D In fact, I made a loaf of Italian bread a day or two ago that came out really well. After all these years, I still need help when I am shaping a loaf that doesn't go into a bread pan. Here's a pic of my Italian bread to show you what I mean ~ I think it looks like a slug, LOL. Either way, it was yummy!

Have fun with your machine!
Would you mind sharing your recipe (tried and true recipes go in the cookbook section now :))? That looks delicious!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Well the first loaf of bread turned out beautifully (sorry I don't have pics). By the time BF got home from work, I already had the 2nd loaf rising in the pan. I did bake this one a little longer than the first loaf -- the crust is darker, but the crust is still soft. Here's the recipe with my alterations listed in Cook's Notes:

HOMEMADE BREAD
1 cup warm water (110-115°F)
1 Tbs milk
2 Tbs oil
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups AP flour
1-1/2 cups WW flour
2 tsp instant active dry yeast

Combine water, milk, oil, honey/sugar and salt; stir. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. (if using breadmaker, see instructions and resume here with remaining directions).
Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm! Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed.
NOTE: If using dough cycle on breadmaker, add ingredients in order of listing into 'bucket'. Set on dough setting and continue with remainder of instructions. COOK'S NOTE: I used the breadmaker to mix/knead and I made the following substitutions: I just used warm water from kitchen faucet -- I didn't take temperature;1 Tbs milk made from powdered milk; 4 Tbs white sugar instead of 2 Tbs honey + 2 Tbs brown sugar; 3 cups AP flour instead of 1-1/2 cups AP + 1-1/2 cups WW flour; 1 pkg active dry yeast. instead of 2 tsp dry yeast. I also brushed top of baked loaf with melted butter. Yumm-O!! Unless I measured the water incorrectly in the first batch, I added several Tablespoons of additional water till dough 'looked right.' For the second loaf, I adjusted the liquid a little bit and needed to add flour till dough 'looked right.' Oh, well... I guess it depends on the temp. of the kitchen.

P.S. No more fresh baked bread till I go to store for more flour...LOL.
Awesome...I'm going to try this--as soon as I go to the store for more flour too LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts