Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm gonna have to break down and go today. The one and only thrift store that's near me (17 miles away) is a small one but they have recently remodeled and expanded. I've only been there to drop off a couple of things about a month ago. Today I think I'm going to haul in some of my spring and summer things from my clothes that are too big to the consignment shop. That will give me the reason to be in town, well and to make a deposit at the bank, that's not a bad reason either..... . I'm thinking I'm gonna go and dig, dig, dig at the thrift store. Oh, and Beall's moved into a bigger store over there and they're having a sale and I've got a coupon (woo hoo!). Oh man, I need to get moving I've got lots of reasons to drive 17 miles today..:teddy:

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My 5yo is having the same urge...he keeps asking if we can go to the "Soldier Store" (aka Salvation Army) :toothy: :lol:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to drive the 17 miles to me :). I hope you find some great bargains Lisa. I love thrift stores, they are just like a treasure hunt:pirate:. Let us know what great bargains you find. :)

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I love thrift stores, havent been to one in a few weeks but might have to go next month sometime :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I got the "urge" Monday and discovered our thrift store (about 20 miles away) was having 50c day! You never know, these urges might actually be our inner "good deal" alarm going off. ;) Enjoy your day! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I went Tuesday. Spent less than $19, and got what I figure is about $80 worth of stuff. I got two of those white wire racks that usually hang on the inside of cabinet doors. These are too big for my cabinet doors, but they are $20 in the store, and I got them for $2.99 each. I can find somewhere to put them, probably in the garage, or maybe on the back of my bathroom door to hold toiletries. Also got one of those bicycle thingies that old farts like me use to sit in a chair and pedal. I'll have to find some way to keep it from slipping and sliding, but it's usually $20, and I paid $4.99. I got two salt and pepper shakers, cheapos, but usually $1 each and I got 2/.59. Got four spoons to take to work with me for .25 each, so $1.

I also got a new pair of tennis shoes to wear to work. $40 shoes for $5.99, and almost brand new. Saw a pair of Nike Airs, but they didn't feel comfortable, so I passed on them.

Add it up...
$5.98 - shelves
$4.99 - bike thingy
$ .59 - salt and pepper shakers
$1.00 - spoons
$5.99 - shoes
-------
$18.55

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Ooooh, PrairieRose, I know of what you speak!

I have been decluttering like crazy, so why do I want to go thrifting and bring home more stuff?

I dropped off the donations in their bin while they were closed, but tomorrow, the kids have dentist apmts, so I'll by driving right by. I don't think I'll resist.

Let us know if you find any treasures!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I can't think of anything I need right now, but I do love going to thrift stores and yard sales to look around :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get the thirft urge at least once a week. It's too hard to resist with all the wonderful brand new goodies that you can find.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I just went over the weekend and got some groovy casual red shorts for only $4 (normally $30) :tay: I think I could take this up as a hobby!! (but first I need to purge to make room for my new finds :()

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i plan on going next week i got a buy on get one free coupon at goodwill last time that is burning a hole in my pocket

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Oh how i miss Bealls....my fav!:cry:
I love Beall's Outlet. Beall's itself is getting pretty expensive, but has good clearance stuff. They had a Beall's clearance store too, but they closed it down. I got some cool stuff there for $1 and $2.

I just found out that those $40 shoes (Rykas) are really $60 shoes, and I got them for $5.99. The last shoes I bought were $40 Avias brand new for $7.
I just seem to get lucky with shoes.

I need to go find some cheap underwear tomorrow. I don't buy the Dollar General undies anymore, because they wear out too quickly. I've found that spending a few bucks more is more frugal with undies and socks. I wear socks to work every day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live behind a church thrift store but prefer garage sales.My dh and I go many Friday mornings with the grandbaby and have found many really good deals. Even though we have recently cleared out the extras of 2 complete households(married 2001), we enjoy the HUNT! The playthings for our grandchildren in our backyard came from sales! Our retro outdoor furniture, inside decor and many everyday things came from there too! Why pay FULL price?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wanna go to a thrift store really bad but there are none in our town and I have no vehicle to get out of town to be able to go to one. :cry:

My one hope is that when my sister gets her one vehicle fixed is that she said she'll let me borrow it and then maybe I can get to one! :)

I haven't had a car for over a year now and for the most part, it doesn't bother me [until I get the urge to go to Salvation Army or Goodwill stores, that is!] :lol:

Love,

Jennelle

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
When I get the urge to shop it is always the thrift store. At least we are not going to macys or the mall to get out the shopping bug.

katy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts